STD
Working tacho from om605 CPS sensor? - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Working tacho from om605 CPS sensor? (/showthread.php?tid=6146)

Working tacho from om605 CPS sensor? - MrHope - 01-17-2015

anyone have a solution to get a aftermarket tach to work with the standard Crank sensor on the 605/606 ?

RE: Working tacho from om605 CPS sensor? - F.R.A.S - 01-18-2015

You gonna use it in a G right? How does the stock tacho get its signal? Most Mercedes diesel engines pick up on the starter ring, except the turbo 605/606. If you're lucky you can just mount the pickup on the starter ring and wire it to the stock tacho Tongue

To answer your question: I have no idea Sad

(01-17-2015, 10:02 AM)MrHope anyone have a solution to get a aftermarket tach to work with the standard Crank sensor on the 605/606 ?

RE: Working tacho from om605 CPS sensor? - DiseaselWeasel - 01-18-2015

there must be a crank signal somewhere... Or you go the old fashioned way via the alternator

What signal does the tacho need???

RE: Working tacho from om605 CPS sensor? - mantahead - 01-18-2015

hi,
i fitted an alternator with W terminal on my om606, and wired it up to a large type r rev counter,but couldn't get it calibrated correctly,must need resistors or something as its designed to work of coil.
it was reading about 3k revs at idle.

RE: Working tacho from om605 CPS sensor? - MrHope - 01-18-2015

yes im supposed to have it in my Gwagen originally it has no tach .
but i have a tach from anotoher Gwagen but its from a 6 cylinder gasoline.

how many pulses does a 6 cyl gas engine on one rev ?

the 605 from w124 reads the starter teeth
the 605 from w202 reads from humps on backside of flywheel (5 humps)

im using an universal tach now that reads W-signal from gen, but im not sure i reads right...

what would the gasoline tach say about the 5 signals from CPS sensor?

RE: Working tacho from om605 CPS sensor? - F.R.A.S - 01-18-2015

I'm not sure how the petrol engines read rev. How ever if it's not by five "humps" you can just mimic the petrol way by a piece of 3mm sheet metal and any machine shop can mill the pattern out for you. A more or less stock solution is always the best Smile

Don't do stainless or aluminum Smile Has to be magnetic.

(01-18-2015, 04:22 PM)MrHope yes im supposed to have it in my Gwagen originally it has no tach .
but i have a tach from anotoher Gwagen but its from a 6 cylinder gasoline.

how many pulses does a 6 cyl gas engine on one rev ?

the 605 from w124 reads the starter teeth
the 605 from w202 reads from humps on backside of flywheel (5 humps)

im using an universal tach now that reads W-signal from gen, but im not sure i reads right...

what would the gasoline tach say about the 5 signals from CPS sensor?

RE: Working tacho from om605 CPS sensor? - mantahead - 05-10-2015

hi,
any luck with the tacho?

i found that starter ring sensor on an old n/a om606 engine i had, i drilled my engine in the car from underneath and fitted it in the same place.
i wired it up to the large type r tacho, it reads backways, 4500rpm at idle and goes to zero if you rev it, lol, any ideas anyone?

RE: Working tacho from om605 CPS sensor? - seanyt - 05-10-2015

Ive to do this on my own car. Ill plan on using a tacho amp circuit that will read the existing crank sensors and convert the VR signal into a pulse that my existing clock will use.
Original engine was a 6 cylinder petrol and the crank signal will still be going to my ecu.
The circuit im using is based off a w124 tacho amp. using an lm1815n chip and a few resistors and capacitors .

I actually need to build two of them so hopefully it works .
My om606 has 6 tabs on the flexplate so matchs what the clocks want to see per revolution.

RE: Working tacho from om605 CPS sensor? - mantahead - 05-10-2015

i am using an older flywheel so no humps on it

RE: Working tacho from om605 CPS sensor? - seanyt - 05-10-2015

Something from dakota digital would probably do the trick so.

RE: Working tacho from om605 CPS sensor? - MrHope - 05-10-2015

Mantahead:
im using a sensor that reads the flywheel ring gear.
My sensor has 2 wires , the brown one to GND and the other one to signal on tacho.
works fine! has to bee a diesel tacho ! that only goes to 6000rpm

RE: Working tacho from om605 CPS sensor? - raysorenson - 05-10-2015

(05-10-2015, 02:58 PM)seanyt Something from dakota digital would probably do the trick so.

This. They sell a VR sensor for flywheel teeth to work on the diesels. Drill a hole in bell housing, adjust sensor air gap.

RE: Working tacho from om605 CPS sensor? - mantahead - 05-12-2015

(05-10-2015, 04:03 PM)MrHope Mantahead:
im using a sensor that reads the flywheel ring gear.
My sensor has 2 wires , the brown one to GND and the other one to signal on tacho.
works fine! has to bee a diesel tacho ! that only goes to 6000rpm

hi mate,
im using original sensor of om606 n/a thats reads ring gear, wired the same way, only works back ways on tacho, tacho is large type r designed for petrol ignition coil

so that dakota digitial box would convert my alternator signal to work on my rev counter, it says 4 cylinder or 8 in their description, should that matter on my 6 cylinder?

RE: Working tacho from om605 CPS sensor? - raysorenson - 05-12-2015

Mantahead, this is the Dakota digital thing I was talking about.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=129/category_id=287/mode=prod/prd129.htm

RE: Working tacho from om605 CPS sensor? - mantahead - 05-15-2015

(05-12-2015, 06:06 PM)raysorenson Mantahead, this is the Dakota digital thing I was talking about.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=129/category_id=287/mode=prod/prd129.htm

cheers man