STD
96 non turbo to turbo conversion? - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: 96 non turbo to turbo conversion? (/showthread.php?tid=5895)

96 non turbo to turbo conversion? - jordon001 - 10-03-2014

I realize a lot of you will tell me it wont work or ill blow the car up but hear me out. I have a 96 w210 and I want to turbo it. not for going super fast or racing but mainly to get up and go when I need to like on the interstate. if im not mistaken the 98 -00 manifold will bolt to my head. if this is the case can I just put that and the turbo and downpipe on my car and gain a little boost? again im not racing the car and I know the internals are different but if im not pushing the car to its limits it should be fine. im looking for like a 5 psi boost.

RE: 96 non turbo to turbo conversion? - benzguy - 10-03-2014

There is a member at peachparts 95e300dwez he did it 95 turbo 606 look for his post at the performance tuning section

RE: 96 non turbo to turbo conversion? - Duncansport - 10-04-2014

Not a lot you can do with the EDC pump in your 210... i suppose you could get a EDC pump from a turbo E300 as well as the ecu, turbo,exhaust manifold, intake, intercooler and such....
Maybe get a turbo and exhaust manifold and get some bigger elements in your pump and reflash the IDI controller..

In short theres not much you can do that you'll notice without spending $$ and time.

RE: 96 non turbo to turbo conversion? - jordon001 - 10-04-2014

I'm not swapping anything but the turbo and manifold. I looked up the guy from the other post who did it and it sound good to me. No I tercooler needed either.

RE: 96 non turbo to turbo conversion? - barrote - 10-05-2014

hy there,
N/A cars usually come with mechanical IP at least in europe. If is that the case u´re a lucky one.
Anyhow this 606.910 engine holds a 90cc pump, and that is good for 250HP, minimum Wink
Things u need for the conversion:
-MB manifold with a turbo from a 606.96X,
-Engine oil suply for lubrication with pressure, and return to pan. u can drill the block , the place to drill is there, search and do it.
-Manifold intake from a 606.96X or plug the holes for the breather.
-EGR hadware from 606.96X or delete that part.
-Intercooler from a w210 td.
-tuned IP at least to the values of 603 TD.

with out the tuning of IP the gain will be minimal, and dont worth the trouble.
go ahead u have a long way to go
regards.

RE: 96 non turbo to turbo conversion? - jordon001 - 10-05-2014

Thanks and I'm not going to run an intercooler, it does have an mechanical IP so its just a matter of buying the turbo and manifold and putting it on. I'll be deleting the egr aswell

RE: 96 non turbo to turbo conversion? - capflya - 10-05-2014

I thought the 96 had an electronic IP? My friends '96 diesel was electronic...

RE: 96 non turbo to turbo conversion? - jordon001 - 10-05-2014

pretty positive mines mechanical

RE: 96 non turbo to turbo conversion? - Petar - 10-05-2014

If its original then it's electronic.

RE: 96 non turbo to turbo conversion? - Duncansport - 10-06-2014

(10-05-2014, 01:11 PM)jordon001 pretty positive mines mechanical

Its an EDC pump, meaning its mechanical like all M-Pumps but a "drive by wire" So it is not adjustable, sort of changing software or elements

RE: 96 non turbo to turbo conversion? - jordon001 - 10-06-2014

Ah ok well thank you for clearing that up. Is there a way I can turn the fuel up?

RE: 96 non turbo to turbo conversion? - Duncansport - 10-06-2014

(10-06-2014, 07:52 AM)jordon001 Ah ok well thank you for clearing that up. Is there a way I can turn the fuel up?

The might be a performance flash for the IDI controller.. someone here was dicking around with some resistor mod to trick the position sensor and add more fuel.