STD
Hello. New here with a W220 400 CDI - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Hello. New here with a W220 400 CDI (/showthread.php?tid=5830)

Hello. New here with a W220 400 CDI - firebird400 - 09-07-2014

Hello.
I have been looking around the internet to see if I can find something about performance upgrades to a OM628 in a w220 S400 CDI and it looks like there are none what so ever besides a few chips on offer.

Are those engines so week that they don´t hold up to any mods or....

I know it is no sportscar but IMO everything can improve with a little more power.

Can you pitch in or point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

RE: Hello. New here with a W220 400 CDI - firebird400 - 09-08-2014

58 views and not a single comment. Huh

I was so hoping this forum would be the one that would set me on my way to hybrid turbo´s, enlarged intercoolers and nozzles and so on lol.

I´ll start with de-cats and a chip.
(chipmydiesel looked like they had a good one)

Wink

RE: Hello. New here with a W220 400 CDI - barrote - 09-08-2014

Smile who in hell wants to play with a state car!!!
if u intend to continue with it do the same as we are doing with the smaller versions. ECU reprogram, BIG turbos, intake coolers thats it.
any way two gt 27´S , or this HX 35, exaust line 80mm dia , racing air filter . well there are a lot to do there.....
regards

RE: Hello. New here with a W220 400 CDI - firebird400 - 09-08-2014

(09-08-2014, 04:03 PM)barrote Smile who in hell wants to play with a state car!!!

ME Cool

I am in no way thinking of making a race car.
Just a little something extra.

My Porsche Cayenne Turbo is also a heavy car. Yet it has a remap and sec. cats removed and is all the more fun for it. It is still no race car.

My Land Rover 2.5 diesel also has a full full exhaust and other mods and is usable because of it.

Everything can be made a little better, a bit more lively and so on, and I am curious if anyone has done something to those engines. It also comes in the G and E class´s so there must be quite a few of them around.

Also, does the OM628 share parts with any 2 liter Mercedes engines?
It looks like it could very well be two 2.0 engines on a common crank.
You did mention smaller engines. Any of them perhaps the OM628 little brother?

RE: Hello. New here with a W220 400 CDI - barrote - 09-09-2014

hy,
litle engine means, 5 6 cyl, and there are people here with diesel engines from the 60´s.
compared to a v8 300HP stock!
maybe a V engine is 2 engines in the same crankshaft, MB has one V8 with 2 crankshafts, dont know wich one is. and like that they share lot of things, probably u can go AMG specs using stuff from the 4,5,6´s cyl engines.
the problem is that V8 is quite a piece of engennering, it might be dificult just to blue print it, and have 50HP in the end.
CDI engines, humm limited RPM, computer limit, hardware limit.
regards.

RE: Hello. New here with a W220 400 CDI - Petar - 09-09-2014

AFAIK the V8 cdi uses two smaller turbochargers i think GT1749V. You could use the bigger GT2359V turbochargers from the OM613 and have the injectors upgraded to AMG spec.
I don't know how big the stock intercooler is on the V8 is but the intercooler is a major bottleneck on the OM613. Bigger is better Big Grin
Of course this requires a custom remap.

RE: Hello. New here with a W220 400 CDI - firebird400 - 09-09-2014

I had thought about gt1752 og 56 hybrids like the vw tdi guys are using. But I just don´t have the knowledge on turbos to understand what sort of changes I would be getting from larger compressors.
Besides, upgrading the turbos would be late on the list to do.

First attempt might look something like EGT meters, a boost meter, a free flowing exhaust, two water to air intercoolers from froozenboost with larger radiators and a chip tune. I do have access to a tuner but doubt I will get that involved. After all this is basically a limo. I can use my Pontiac if I want to go racing

I just did not know if the OM628 and 722.6 combo would hold up to any mods. Or like barrote mentioned if it even allowed it to messed with.

RE: Hello. New here with a W220 400 CDI - Petar - 09-09-2014

I've heard that the OM628 has a problematic timing chain. So i would replace it preventatively.
The bottom end should hold some extra power. I don't know if the 722.6 will hold stock but it can be upgraded to hold more than 1000 Nm