STD
turbo downgrade - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: turbo downgrade (/showthread.php?tid=5730)

turbo downgrade - bricktron - 07-17-2014

most of my driving is in town and at low boost. i am curious about sacrificing some power at the top-end for a faster spoolup, ergo i could try a smaller turbo. however! is it possible to use a restrictor plate somewhere in the intake, in the vicinity of the snail, to reduce the A/R ratio without actually swapping the turbo?

(if i WERE going to swap it, i would have a hard time avoiding the VGT project, but the extreme simplicity of the above has some real appeal. that said, am i crazy?)

RE: turbo downgrade - 4x4Cal - 07-17-2014

Not sure why would you downgrade a turbocharger. Do you have some kind of issue right now?

reduce the air flow will cause smoke!! unless you reduce your fuel delivery.

RE: turbo downgrade - MFSuper90 - 07-18-2014

what turbo are you currently running?

RE: turbo downgrade - willbhere4u - 07-18-2014

i have seen some quick spool valves the mount between the turbo and the manifold. that might just do the trick. It closes off half of the exhaust port to get the exhaust gas's moving faster to spool the turbo quicker then it opens back to normal after its making boost

RE: turbo downgrade - bricktron - 07-20-2014

MFSuper90: stock garrett here, 40 trim i think. 4x4cal, the problem is just a low average amount of boost, i.e. i am driving around most of the time without fully benefitting from the turbo. in city driving from 5-35 mph i am usually in 2nd, and around 30 mph it's fun. the QSV sounds enticing willbhere4u so thanks for the tip! this must do something similar as the VGT - i assume not as effectively.... i am reading up on it. cheers.

RE: turbo downgrade - MFSuper90 - 07-21-2014

why not build a small set of twins for super fast spool, and not loose any topend? Big Grin

Maybe hx25 as the secondary, hx30 for primary?

RE: turbo downgrade - carlitosgy6 - 07-22-2014

You will have more power available at a lower speed + better mpg at the expense of high end

RE: turbo downgrade - bricktron - 07-26-2014

VGT, QSV, twins, all would be great, but so complicated.

i think the answer to my own restrictor plate question is that a plate would lower throughput but only increase air speed right next to its aperture. to accelerate the impeller more quickly, nearly the whole exhaust snail would have to be restricted, stupid to do this with extra parts, thus the different available molds. maybe.

RE: turbo downgrade - 4x4Cal - 07-26-2014

How about up-size the cold side compressor wheel & compressor housing for more air volume passing through?

RE: turbo downgrade - MFSuper90 - 07-28-2014

A friend of mine that had a light pro pulling tractor use to take a piece of metal and weld it to the exhaust housing and angle it towards the compressor housing. This in turn allowed him to spool a bigger charger, because it sent the exhaust gas towards the big side of the turbine wheel.
Like blowing on a pinwheel Smile

RE: turbo downgrade - bricktron - 08-02-2014

MFSuper90, i can't picture what you are describing quite yet but it sounds like what i want! a restrictor plate to increase exhaust airspeed!