STD
Lighted Emblems - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Body Mods (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Lighted Emblems (/showthread.php?tid=5544)

Lighted Emblems - DanielK - 04-24-2014

Have you guys seen the backlit emblems they are putting on cars these days? I'm in process of making some for the back of my W123 non-turbo.
What do you guys think of an adjustable RGB LED lit backlighting for the diesel emblems? On braking they are going to go red.
Just an idea I've been playing with.

RE: Lighted Emblems - Greazzer - 04-25-2014

PICS ! That would be cool !

RE: Lighted Emblems - Purplecomputer - 04-25-2014

where would you mount the LEDS? behind the emblem or on the inside of the trunk?

RE: Lighted Emblems - DanielK - 04-27-2014

I simply plan to use a piece of lexan(If I make another, it will definitely be acrylic for ease of cutting) cut to the same shape as the emblem. LEDs would be implanted in channel carved into the plastic. Emblem mounts on top of the clear panel and LEDs are sandwiched in there somewhere.
I'd have to use surface mount LEDs to properly fit them. That, in itself is fun to do...
I believe I'd use a 5v voltage regulator driven from the taillight output. When the lights are on, the circuit receives power. To turn the LEDs red, I'd use a threshold to declare when the brakes have been activated(the brake lights get brighter). The LEDs go red. I guess I should spend some time cutting out this emblem...

RE: Lighted Emblems - Purplecomputer - 05-03-2014

(04-27-2014, 01:56 PM)DanielK I simply plan to use a piece of lexan(If I make another, it will definitely be acrylic for ease of cutting) cut to the same shape as the emblem. LEDs would be implanted in channel carved into the plastic. Emblem mounts on top of the clear panel and LEDs are sandwiched in there somewhere.
I'd have to use surface mount LEDs to properly fit them. That, in itself is fun to do...
I believe I'd use a 5v voltage regulator driven from the taillight output. When the lights are on, the circuit receives power. To turn the LEDs red, I'd use a threshold to declare when the brakes have been activated(the brake lights get brighter). The LEDs go red. I guess I should spend some time cutting out this emblem...

Good idea. Surface mount is the way to go in this situation.

seems like the hardest part would be getting those emblems cut.

RE: Lighted Emblems - DanielK - 05-05-2014

Laser cut acrylic is definitely the simplest option.

RE: Lighted Emblems - DanielK - 05-07-2014

Got rear-ended. 'DIESEL' fell off, it seems. Now my trunk lid is badgeless. Car goes to the shop today to assess the damage and get a quote for their insurance company.

RE: Lighted Emblems - DanielK - 05-07-2014

They totaled it. Day ruint.

RE: Lighted Emblems - MFSuper90 - 05-09-2014

Noooooo. This was a badass idea, and I never like to hear that a old benz was totaled.
If you could get them manufactured at a decent price, I bet you would sell the shit out of them.

RE: Lighted Emblems - sassparilla_kid - 05-09-2014

Must be fucked because when I thought mine was totaled they fixed it to the tune of 5X what I paid for the car three days before the accident, which happened about an hour after I got insurance on it.

RE: Lighted Emblems - DanielK - 05-10-2014

I'll post pics soon. I'm buying the car back and will still be working on the lighted emblems. It isn't bad at all. Driver's side taillight, trunk lid, driver's quarter(only slightly), rear lower panel, bumper and related trims

RE: Lighted Emblems - Simpler=Better - 05-14-2014

(05-10-2014, 01:01 PM)DanielK I'll post pics soon. I'm buying the car back and will still be working on the lighted emblems. It isn't bad at all. Driver's side taillight, trunk lid, driver's quarter(only slightly), rear lower panel, bumper and related trims

Glad to hear it. Always buyback.

RE: Lighted Emblems - DanielK - 05-15-2014

The adjuster price it based on 100K miles. They appraised it at $4425. The buyback was $875 and I ended up getting paid $3550. Today, I bought a 1994 BMW E34 530it with 69K on the clock for $3K. Don't worry, I still own 4 Mercedes. lol.

Eventually, I'll get back to the lighted emblems. I have my prototype ready for final shaping on the bench. I might play with it when I get bored.

EDIT: Here is a pic of the damage.
[Image: IMG_20140505_085626161.jpg]
The 300D emblem wasn't on the car at the time. The DIESEL emblem disappeared in the wreck.