STD
3" Straight Pipe TOOO Loud - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: 3" Straight Pipe TOOO Loud (/showthread.php?tid=5516)

3" Straight Pipe TOOO Loud - snowbrd84 - 04-14-2014

I just installed a 3" straight pipe, from the turbo outlet down and out the side, just in front of the rear tire, on my 89" Wrangler with an OM617.951. It is way too loud, I park in a parking garage at work, and it is obnoxious... What would be the best way to quiet it down without restricting flow? Cant really afford to spend a whole lot more either...

RE: 3" Straight Pipe TOOO Loud - Greazzer - 04-14-2014

Try just a resonator in the middle.

RE: 3" Straight Pipe TOOO Loud - EmJay - 04-14-2014

Try adding a turbo, that'll give you a less obnoxious sound. Lol. Or you can do Greazzer's resonator idea.

RE: 3" Straight Pipe TOOO Loud - MFSuper90 - 04-14-2014

Turbo! More powwwa! Just don't crank the boost way up, and I'd say it'll last a long time

But wait in second thought, isn't a .951 turbo'd?

RE: 3" Straight Pipe TOOO Loud - swampmonkey - 04-14-2014

it says "straight from teh turbo outlet, so i presume he already has one there Tongue

route the exhaust backwards? or add a single muffler that is somewhat open?

RE: 3" Straight Pipe TOOO Loud - MFSuper90 - 04-14-2014

That's My own fault for not thoroughly reading his post. But I have my 3" coming straight out the back of my car, and it's not very loud I don't think.
A glass pack or a resonator won't restrict flow and will quiet it down

noproblem,
with stock turbo+exhaust i would not think the stock exhaust limits your power anything worth mentioning, get something 3" size stocklooking and it will probably silence it down enough without affecting performance.

RE: 3" Straight Pipe TOOO Loud - snowbrd84 - 04-14-2014

I just ordered a 3" bullet style resonator/muffler. We will see how that works out, it sounds great, but it gets old real quick with how loud it is...

(04-14-2014, 02:29 PM)snowbrd84 I just ordered a 3" bullet style resonator/muffler. We will see how that works out, it sounds great, but it gets old real quick with how loud it is...

the same here with my 2.5" straight exhaust on my om602.... planing on getting a muffler on there... Tongue

RE: 3" Straight Pipe TOOO Loud - yota4life - 04-15-2014

Can we hear it before the muffler?

RE: 3" Straight Pipe TOOO Loud - Volker407 - 04-16-2014

(04-15-2014, 11:11 AM)yota4life Can we hear it before the muffler?

Yeah! Make a Video with good sound quality Big Grin

Gruß
Volker

RE: 3" Straight Pipe TOOO Loud - EmJay - 04-16-2014

Whoops I missed that lol

RE: 3" Straight Pipe TOOO Loud - snowbrd84 - 04-17-2014

haha put the muffler on yesterday and it is much quieter, sorry, did not make a video first. But just listen to an old big rig truck and thats about what it sounded like. I towed my 18' boat about 50 miles on sunday and it was pretty funny...