STD
An odd purchase offer - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Other (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Open (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: An odd purchase offer (/showthread.php?tid=5447)

An odd purchase offer - JustPassinThru - 03-19-2014

I am wondering what it is that a guy is trying to pull on me.

I have a car for sale out on Craigslist, a 1983 300D, price $1,500; I have received an email from a guy who wants to buy it, sight unseen, and pay me for it via PayPal, then have a moving company pick it up.

This seems strange, to say the least. To buy a car sight unseen, pay for it via PayPal, and have a moving company pick it up?

Anyone have any idea what sort of a scam this guy is trying to run on me? What's he trying to pull?

RE: An odd purchase offer - Purplecomputer - 03-19-2014

Oh, you should probably ignore that. I get emails like that all the time when I post my computer repair services on CL.

I actually went with one to see what it was all about. They first send you a check from an unrelated company and then when you cash it it stays in the bank, then somehow the company says that's fradulent, the person who sent you the check gets refunded their money and you end up with a fee.

Something like that. Either way it's a scam. It being with PayPal though I dunno. Try to transfer it to your bank first before he can pick it up.

RE: An odd purchase offer - JustPassinThru - 03-19-2014

Yeah, I was thinking it's something like that. Either there is somehow a way to renege on a PayPal payment, or else there's a fraud during the pickup --for example, one guy comes and picks it up, then a second guy shows up with a flatbed hauler and says hey where's the car?--and so I must refund the guy's PayPal payment and I'm out the (stolen) car!

RE: An odd purchase offer - DeliveryValve - 03-19-2014

Yep the different scenarios is an issue. Have you talked to this person? Maybe start by having them send a postal money order check.

RE: An odd purchase offer - JustPassinThru - 03-19-2014

Here's how it's gone:

(ad placed 3/13)
http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/4374012869.html

3/16:
To: wdfjq-4374012869@sale.craigslist.org
Picture of No Dent ? & Clean ?

No Dent ? respond back to *********@gmail.com ONLY, so that I can get message in my fone... craigslist message does not show im my inbox

3/16 (me) (to the gmail address):
The body is straight. It might have minor dents on the underside front and rear, I haven't looked closely. Exterior paint is missing a lot of clearcoat. Jack holes are nearly rust-free, there are spots of rust here and there. Interior is ratty --smells like mildew, seats are soft, dashboard is cracked. Glass is good.

3/17:
Okay... what is your paypal email ID for payment,am busy working
please,,,... i will make payment asap

3/18:
Well, I am of course happy to sell the car to you, --my paypal address is *************************-- but, I have never sold a car via paypal before. It seems awfully strange. How soon can you come to Yelm and just do the transaction the usual way, i.e. pay me cash and I will sign the title over to you and you can have it hauled away?

3/19:
Sorry. am busy working... so I can only pay to your paypal account, so
what is your actual selling price I want to make payment now.... Am
using mover company for pick up

RE: An odd purchase offer - brianw124 - 03-19-2014

They will send u a fake paypal reciept that looks good but always look at ur actual account thats there game hope u think its a real paypal and give ur car away ... tell him ok come pick up the car and wait with a gun

RE: An odd purchase offer - Greazzer - 03-19-2014

Philip,

I got a nice, shiney bridge I would like to sell to you ...

If this was a forum member, and not the "first post ever" forum member, then no problems.

CL ... LOL !

I got a few PMs on Benzworld.org, where someone claimed to have certain parts I was looking for. They wanted the money wired to them for payment. Funny thing, I got two PMs, for the same part, about three days apart, and the messages were virtually identifical. LOL. Plus, the one joker who I sort of toyed with, lowered his prices instead of sending me pictures and the pricing got to the point where it would not even cover the shipping.

RE: An odd purchase offer - mo1971fordcrew - 03-20-2014

Those kind of people are fun to mess with. I confess my love for them, that usually weirds them out or gets them to stop...

RE: An odd purchase offer - Druk - 03-21-2014

If your Paypal account is linked to your bank account Paypal can 'refund' the buyer much later than you think simply by withdrawing the funds. It's in their small print.

Don't go there....it's a scam. Tell the buyer to send cash with the haulage driver.

RE: An odd purchase offer - Purplecomputer - 03-21-2014

The bad English and grammar just give it away. Stay clear.

RE: An odd purchase offer - MFSuper90 - 03-21-2014

Tell them to call you, you want to talk to them in person about it.

RE: An odd purchase offer - JustPassinThru - 03-21-2014

(03-21-2014, 03:10 AM)Druk Tell the buyer to send cash with the haulage driver.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. No word back.

RE: An odd purchase offer - Simpler=Better - 03-21-2014

The last time I did a car deal via PP it went like this:

Drove over to guys house
Picked up motorcycle
Threw in a ton of extra freebies he didn't need
Shook on it
Drove home
PP'd him the moolah

RE: An odd purchase offer - raysorenson - 03-22-2014

PP offers no protection for stuff that was not shipped. Further, if a third party takes delivery the buyer can claim he never received it.

I had a guy pull that third party delivery shit when I was selling an Audi S4. He took it a step further and kept putting money in my account from yet another person with a girls name. Once he finally got the message that he was to fuck off, he claimed he was going to sue me.

One thing I definitely don't miss about Audis is the community.

RE: An odd purchase offer - JB3 - 03-24-2014

(03-19-2014, 03:32 PM)JustPassinThru Here's how it's gone:

(ad placed 3/13)
http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/4374012869.html

3/16:
To: wdfjq-4374012869@sale.craigslist.org
Picture of No Dent ? & Clean ?

No Dent ? respond back to *********@gmail.com ONLY, so that I can get message in my fone... craigslist message does not show im my inbox

3/16 (me) (to the gmail address):
The body is straight. It might have minor dents on the underside front and rear, I haven't looked closely. Exterior paint is missing a lot of clearcoat. Jack holes are nearly rust-free, there are spots of rust here and there. Interior is ratty --smells like mildew, seats are soft, dashboard is cracked. Glass is good.

3/17:
Okay... what is your paypal email ID for payment,am busy working
please,,,... i will make payment asap

3/18:
Well, I am of course happy to sell the car to you, --my paypal address is *************************-- but, I have never sold a car via paypal before. It seems awfully strange. How soon can you come to Yelm and just do the transaction the usual way, i.e. pay me cash and I will sign the title over to you and you can have it hauled away?

3/19:
Sorry. am busy working... so I can only pay to your paypal account, so
what is your actual selling price I want to make payment now.... Am
using mover company for pick up

Water under the bridge, but you shouldnt have emailed your paypal account address. I usually just erase these nonsense offers. I get them all the time advertising rentals these days. With craigslist, its always the process of digging through the bullshit to find the piece of gold.
If someones email or call isnt only about arranging a time to look at what you have for sale, then its not to be taken seriously. Only an idiot offers to pay for something sight unseen. Since most people arent pure idiots, anyone who does that has an agenda that usually isnt about the item for sale. That agenda is usually about seperating you from your hard earned money.

RE: An odd purchase offer - JustPassinThru - 03-24-2014

(03-24-2014, 07:08 AM)JB3 ...you shouldnt have emailed your paypal account address...

Don't worry. It's linked to a checking account in which I keep very little money Tongue

RE: An odd purchase offer - sassparilla_kid - 03-25-2014

I had a guy try to offer me a gold wedding band for a car, but he wanted me to haul it to him fraudulently using AAA, I told him he could take Amtrak to within a mile of my house and do it himself and he stopped pursuing it.

RE: An odd purchase offer - Simpler=Better - 03-26-2014

(03-25-2014, 08:42 PM)sassparilla_kid I had a guy try to offer me a gold wedding band for a car, but he wanted me to haul it to him fraudulently using AAA, I told him he could take Amtrak to within a mile of my house and do it himself and he stopped pursuing it.

Best I can do is tree fiddy

RE: An odd purchase offer - willbhere4u - 03-27-2014

The Big Red Flag is the fact that he wanted you real email address on Craigslist instead of just talking through the Craigslist anonymous email system. It will show up normally through his normal email with out giving him your actual email address.

I never deal with anyone on Craigslist who wont email through there anonymous system. I don't want to give my email address to spamers