STD
got a 1999 bug 1.9 tdi for cheap - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Other (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Non MBZ Diesel (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: got a 1999 bug 1.9 tdi for cheap (/showthread.php?tid=5400)

got a 1999 bug 1.9 tdi for cheap - willbhere4u - 03-06-2014

I just picked up a 1999 beetle TDI 5spd for $1550 with 185k it runs barley! It just got a brand new turbo and glow plugs and timing belt & water pump and the injection pump was resealed. The previous owner was tired of dumping money in to it so he gave up on it. It runs wont rev over 2k rpm and is smoking gray all the time. It idles just fine with a little gray smoke. but as soon as you rev it up it has no power and pores gray smoke out of it? I'm thinking its computer related as it is throttle by wire. It had one code something about target manifold pressure? I'll check the intercooler and pipes for leaks and the vacuum line going to the waste gate. supposedly it ran good before the turbo replacement and timing belt. So I will double check all timing marks on the timing belt and injection pump.

RE: got a 1999 bug 1.9 tdi for cheap - MFSuper90 - 03-06-2014

Kinda sounds like it's out of time to me, or poor feed pressure to the IP, but that's not really as much as a viable option because those pumps have positive case pressure

RE: got a 1999 bug 1.9 tdi for cheap - willbhere4u - 03-06-2014

I'll check it out more this weekend I've got to go tow it home tonight

RE: got a 1999 bug 1.9 tdi for cheap - Purplecomputer - 03-08-2014

i had a tdi with the same issue, check the, ugh i forgot what is was called. Its bolted to the firewall on the driver side. Its got some vacuum tubes hooked up. If that is bad or not connected youll get issues like that.

that was my issue, might be different for you. But dont overlook this as i recall it was a common problem.

EDIT

here's a picture i stole off tdi club for some other issue and circled "The Thing"

RE: got a 1999 bug 1.9 tdi for cheap - w123love - 03-09-2014

(03-08-2014, 04:29 PM)Purplecomputer i had a tdi with the same issue, check the, ugh i forgot what is was called. Its bolted to the firewall on the driver side. Its got some vacuum tubes hooked up. If that is bad or not connected youll get issues like that.

that was my issue, might be different for you. But dont overlook this as i recall it was a common problem.

EDIT

here's a picture i stole off tdi club for some other issue and circled "The Thing"

rofl "ignore"

RE: got a 1999 bug 1.9 tdi for cheap - willbhere4u - 03-10-2014

I checked the timing belt and injection pump where spot on. So I took the top off the injection pump to make sure every thing was aligned after the reseal and it was also perfect. car would crank and immediately stall. I thought it was a fuel starvation issue. So I replaced the filter and cleaned the tank strainer. Still nada then I pulled the turbo hose off to the intake manifold and it almost ran but I noticed smoke was coming out of the manifold???? bent valves WTF??? Nope it runs on all 4 and smoke is coming out of the intake manifold ah ha EGR! unplugged the vacuum line to the EGR bam engine starts and runs normal. So I'm thinking the EGR solenoid failed why else would the EGR be open at idle? also I"m thinking the cat may be clogged up. I need to set the timing and injection quantity via vag-com

RE: got a 1999 bug 1.9 tdi for cheap - Purplecomputer - 03-11-2014

nice, good thing i was completely off!

RE: got a 1999 bug 1.9 tdi for cheap - willbhere4u - 03-11-2014

I went to start it yesterday and nothing just cranking a hint of a sputter but no start. Pulled the cat off last night and "cleaned" it out. And it started right up it's running very smokey at any rpm and takes some cranking to start and has some hesitation when revving in neutral. But I think it will be alright after I set the Injection quantity and timing to spec I hope

RE: got a 1999 bug 1.9 tdi for cheap - willbhere4u - 03-18-2014

This car is driving me nuts timing belt is perfect the injection timing is spot on it is smoking like its on fire when its idling and has a slight miss. after your in boost it clears up and runs nicely then you stop and it starts all over again the longer it idles the more it smokes. Its a little low on compression on one cylinder. I checked the connecting rod's to make sure none where not bent apparently that's a common problem on TDI's after turbo failure because of oil hydro-locking. I'm going to pull the head and hope its a burnt valve or something simple. for what it worth the cylinders/pistons looked great from the bottom. And I measured from the bottom of every piston skirt to the bottom of the block and all where exactly the same measurement so know they are not bent.

RE: got a 1999 bug 1.9 tdi for cheap - Riverstick - 01-29-2015

What was the outcome of this engine?