STD
Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Suspension (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? (/showthread.php?tid=53)

Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - EuroDriver - 10-01-2008

Thinking about bagging a 240D. It doesn't look to be difficult the way the car is set up. What does everyone think.

Re: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - winmutt - 10-01-2008

Never heard of after market. You could probably steal one from a second gen W126... Perhaps. Lots of work for little gain if you wear a seatbelt.

Re: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - tantank79 - 10-01-2008

No, no. Not in the steering wheel, in the suspension.

[Image: 824200635541PM85201.jpg]

I have been looking into bagging my wagon, but haven't done anything to it yet. Seems like it would be fairly straight forward since its all coils. Build some cups and plates for mounting the bags. Put the tank, compressors, and valves in the back under the floor.

Re: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - ForcedInduction - 10-02-2008

Why? These are not show cars and the angle of the rear tires looks ridiculous when the car sits low. The rear shocks are inside the coils so installing airbags would make a very bouncy ride unless you could retrofit them elsewhere.

Noticing the "for sale" sticker on the window, I would never consider buying a car if I saw a picture of it doing anything like that.

Re: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - EuroDriver - 10-02-2008

Is there a good lowering spring for the W123. Not to slam it, just to improve the stance.

Re: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - tantank79 - 10-02-2008

Euro,

There should be another thread in this section of the forum about Vogtland springs. As far as I know, these are the only springs that have been available for our cars in recent years. However, they were made in small run and had some issues with the rear springs being too soft/short. Some say they have had good results from cutting coils, but that’s not the best way to go.

Forced,

Well sir, you may be very knowledgeable when it comes to these vehicles, but you sure can have a bad attitude. I wouldn’t normally speak out like this against someone I don’t personally know, but I'm quite fed up with your consistent degradation of people’s ideas. Not everyone will build there car exactly how you think they should. Chill out man.

Re: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - winmutt - 10-02-2008

Why in gods name would you want to such a thing. H&R makes aftermarkets and there is another group buy of Vogtlands. Contact RudolphGreen @ mshop. I am not overly happy with my vogtlands. They are better, but not perfect. I would def want progressive rate springs if I did it all again. Particularly in the rear, I may still switch to the progressive rate coupe springs.

Re: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - ForcedInduction - 10-03-2008

tantank79 Well sir, you may be very knowledgeable when it comes to these vehicles, but you sure can have a bad attitude. I wouldn’t normally speak out like this against someone I don’t personally know, but I'm quite fed up with your consistent degradation of people’s ideas. Not everyone will build there car exactly how you think they should. Chill out man.

Read the title, "Air bags for a W123 what do u think?" I told him exactly what I think about it. If you don't like my view on the topic then tough tittie.

I agree with winmutt, if I come across progressive rate springs in the junkyards they are going straight onto my car.

Re: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - Telecommbrkr - 10-03-2008

Anybody got pics comparing the two? I would like to know what they look like in case I come across any.

Has anyone ever come across Eibach springs for these cars? I thought I had in one of my internet wanderings looking for parts suppliers, but forgot to save the page to faves.

Re: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - EuroDriver - 10-05-2008

Forced is right....I was asking for peoples opinions and input. I can see where he is coming from when he said they are not show cars. I would like to think that it is possible to have possibly the most reliable car on the planet and still turn heads. Is it too much to want a vehicle that serves more than one purpose? So I say lets see if the air bags would work, if nothing else I tried something different......or I could go buy a Honda and join the rice boys......wait, who am I kidding, European cars will always be better. So, why not make it your own.

RE: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - Motorhead - 07-01-2009

I will have to look under my '84 CD and see what the springs look like, I will spring my car harder and get it off the stilts but not to low to cut grass.

RE: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - winmutt - 07-01-2009

(07-01-2009, 06:03 PM)Motorhead I will have to look under my '84 CD and see what the springs look like, I will spring my car harder and get it off the stilts but not to low to cut grass.

I have to use a low profile jack on mine, I have to lift the bumper up a bit to get the one I have under the oil pan.

RE: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - Telecommbrkr - 07-09-2009

I posted this on the other thread reagrding SLS delete. I am really considering this. Not because I want to slam the car to the ground (although it would be cool sometimes for a laugh) but have the adjustability for different types of driving requirements, and suspension hieghts.

http://www.airbagit.com/product-p/fbs-merc15-kit3.htm

and other options...

http://www.airbagit.com/SearchResults.asp?mfg=MERCEDES

RE: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - SurfRodder - 07-09-2009

(07-09-2009, 12:10 AM)Telecommbrkr have the adjustability for different types of driving requirements, and suspension hieghts.

oh great... one more thing to consider... might just be what im looking for too, although I'd do just the ass end... pretty happy w/ the vogtlands up front.

RE: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - JB3 - 12-01-2009

Id like to bring this debate back to life and chime in as well. Ive also considered bagging my 300D for years because of two reasons, carrying more weight, and improving rough road ride quality.

Im not into low riders and I would not bag something just to drop it to the ground, but in general, in my opinion, air bag suspensions are awesome.

For example, a couple years back, I managed to get my hands on a 1984 Lincoln MKVII with a BMW diesel in it. To pick up this car, I had to drive about 30 miles down a rutted farm road in nebraska.

I had gone to visit before with my 300D, and could barely make 25 miles an hour down this road, it rattled the hell out of me, but on the same road, I was able to cruise at about 65-70 in the full air suspension lincoln. It was almost an incomparable difference in ride quality. That, combined with the fact that I could carry a lot more weight at the same time makes this a really attractive idea.

The biggest problem would be what forced said, relocating the shocks and struts to make room for the bag. That alone might make it not worth it.

Heres a pic of a macpherson strut adapted air bag system I found, (upper left) if you could get larger air bags like this, with a hollow core or sealing system, maybe this is not impossible with super minor modification.

I still think it would be totally worth it even if I had to relocate the shocks.

RE: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - Tymbrymi - 12-01-2009

(12-01-2009, 11:48 AM)dropnosky Heres a pic of a macpherson strut adapted air bag system I found, (upper left) if you could get larger air bags like this, with a hollow core or sealing system, maybe this is not impossible with super minor modification.

Essentially, that looks like the hydraulic struts used on our wagons. Those have the "nitrogen spheres" to act as an air bag, but not sure if it really really smooths out the ride since I haven't driven my wagon all that much yet. Will be taking it to New Hampshire in a week or two though (1400 miles one way! Cool)

RE: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - DeliveryValve - 12-01-2009

(12-01-2009, 11:48 AM)dropnosky ....
For example, a couple years back, I managed to get my hands on a 1984 Lincoln MKVII with a BMW diesel in it. ... ...

Not to hijack this thread and changing subjects. But if you still have the car, I have a FORD ROTUNDA DIESEL TACH TIMING METER for it. Make me an offer if you like to have it. Big Grin

RE: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - JB3 - 12-01-2009

You should post it for sale on http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/

Sadly, I sold it a couple of years ago, but that car was AWESOME.

RE: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - DeliveryValve - 12-01-2009

(12-01-2009, 09:14 PM)dropnosky ... but that car was AWESOME.

Yes I know those things are awesome!

RE: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - Rcdevil - 04-21-2010

Well imho i think that airbags on a wagon are awesome, in fact my first car is probably gonna be a 1985 300td wagon or sedan and ive done some research on airbags for it. so here is the link:

http://www.airbagit.com/Mercedes-Benz-Air-Suspension-Systems-s/65.htm

I dont think they have it for the d or td but they do have it for the sd and also if you want they have universal air bag kits Big Grin
Also here are some lowering springs:

http://www.jms-fahrzeugteile.de/Fahrwerkstechnik/Sportfedern/H-R/Mercedes/W123:::1637_1638_21094_43766_43775.html

If you want more of a stance.

RE: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - shredator - 04-29-2010

Forgive my ignorance, but are airbags strictly a comfort thing? do they provide any kind of handling benefit? seems like they might be worthwhile just for the easy ride height adjustment.

is the tank and electric pump and all the plumbing really required? can you pump them up with a bike pump or something?

RE: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - tantank79 - 04-29-2010

From what I have read, airbags have an inverse spring rate. The more you pump them up the stiffer they get. Not exactly what you would want for a performance suspension.

You could simply plumb the bags to air up/down through a shrader valve. Most good systems incorporate this feature as an emergency backup should the pump fail.

Basic systems usually have independent F/R control with:
-one pump
-one tank
-2 supply solenoid type valve (F&R)
-2 dump solenoid type valves (F&R)

RE: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - xswingkidx - 08-03-2010

Found this while I was searching for some other info on W123s. I don't back the theme but I LOVE the way is sits. Possibly the effect bags could do with the stance on our cars.

[Image: Mercedes_w114_by_Yzn90.jpg]

ps. 99% sure this is photoshopped.

RE: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - Rudolf_Diesel - 08-04-2010

I came up through the ranks with mini trucks, and I like the lowered look - it is not for everyone and if you don't like it, that's cool. If everyone's car was the same it would be a boring world.

I kind of like this one:

Off course it needs some paint and some subtle pin striping , nothing too ornate. I personally would paint the car a satin color similar to what it is painted now, satin black looks good, but everyone has it. Some stock Mercedes hubcaps painted the same would be cool with the white walls. Just a thought....

RE: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - garage - 08-04-2010

(08-04-2010, 08:26 AM)Rudolf_Diesel I came up through the ranks with mini trucks, and I like the lowered look - it is not for everyone and if you don't like it, that's cool. If everyone's car was the same it would be a boring world.

I kind of like this one:

Off course it needs some paint and some subtle pin striping , nothing too ornate. I personally would paint the car a satin color similar to what it is painted now, satin black looks good, but everyone has it. Some stock Mercedes hubcaps painted the same would be cool with the white walls. Just a thought....

Ha dammnnnn rudolf! NICE picture hahaha, you should do this with your omg617Big Grin just kiddin.
I think the w116 would be the perfect benz to slam.

RE: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - Captain America - 08-04-2010

there's a couple guys on Benz world that has bags on 240's.. Thread called 2sportyD or something like that. It looks pretty good.
I cut 2 coils off my front springs and she handles better and the ride is still perfect.

RE: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - benzlikewhoa - 08-09-2010

anyone seen this build yet?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3884094-The-Colour-of-Money&highlight=colour+money

should be very similar for a w123

RE: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - xswingkidx - 08-10-2010

(08-09-2010, 07:21 PM)benzlikewhoa anyone seen this build yet?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3884094-The-Colour-of-Money&highlight=colour+money

should be very similar for a w123

Holy...

I'm in love.

RE: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - winmutt - 08-11-2010

This was hot : [Image: wwh2o2008-26.jpg]

Why did he fuck it up with this :

[Image: IMG_4237-3.jpg]

RE: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - Captain America - 08-11-2010

(08-11-2010, 09:18 AM)winmutt This was hot : [Image: wwh2o2008-26.jpg]

Why did he fuck it up with this :

[Image: IMG_4237-3.jpg]

IDK... I am trying to figure this out myself...

RE: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - 300SD_KY - 03-14-2011

Air Ride Technologies has some advanced air suspension kits for the muscle car crowd:

http://www.ridetech.com/store/suspension-systems/vehicle-packages/1964-1967-gm-a-body-level-3.html

When kids' tuition, mortgage, _ _ _ _ aren't an issue, prices should have come down.

Also worth reading, how they made an old truck autocross capable ...

There is hope in Indiana:

http://www.ridetech.com/info/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/classic-trucks-shock-2011.pdf

RE: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - dieselboy - 03-15-2011

Slammed. I cut 3 at first but changed it to two. With bilstien shocks it handles great
3[Image: 9b3855f9.jpg]
2[Image: 28657d48.jpg]

RE: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - mike-81-240d - 03-15-2011

(03-15-2011, 02:51 PM)dieselboy Slammed. I cut 3 at first but changed it to two. With bilstien shocks it handles great[

Looks great, did you go with HD's, or comforts?

RE: Air bags for a W123 what do u think? - Captain America - 03-15-2011

He's got Chevy truck 5150's on it IIRC