STD
smoking from catch tank filter? - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: smoking from catch tank filter? (/showthread.php?tid=5128)

smoking from catch tank filter? - Palmer - 11-30-2013

Done my intake set up (pics to follow) and ive got the original crankcase breather going to a catch tank. On idle its smoking a bit (white) from the filter. Enough for me to notice it coming up out the wing when in traffic.

Now, googling has lead me to lots of results. Piston rings, bad compression, blow by etc.

The car still works flawlessly, im just crapping it now; what could it be? Could it be because the filter is new??

RE: smoking from catch tank filter? - MFSuper90 - 11-30-2013

How many miles on it? I have quite a bit of blowby on my 617, it's got 223,xxx on the clock. Blowby is normal for an engine with some time on it.

RE: smoking from catch tank filter? - Palmer - 11-30-2013

(11-30-2013, 11:48 AM)MFSuper90 How many miles on it? I have quite a bit of blowby on my 617, it's got 223,xxx on the clock. Blowby is normal for an engine with some time on it.

Just shy of 150k....

RE: smoking from catch tank filter? - MFSuper90 - 11-30-2013

How bad is the blowby? If you hold your finger over it does it pressurize a good bit?
Only extreme blowby and excessive oil coming out your blowby tube is something to worry about in my opinion

RE: smoking from catch tank filter? - cho - 11-30-2013

was it some kind of a mod or factory setup?

without pics I can only assume that you connected wrong two
lines at oil sep./catch can.

...or you have intake/turbo malfunction so the smoke is finding his own way out Tongue

RE: smoking from catch tank filter? - bricktron - 12-03-2013

i hooked up the catch can on my 617 and had the same problem. i didn't want to burn the PCV gas, but having it piling out of the engine compartment at stoplights was worse, so took out the catch can and hooked the PCV back into the intake. the catch can would still catch some oil in between the two, but after i realized the oily gas was going back into the engine anyway, i no longer saw much reason to keep the can.

RE: smoking from catch tank filter? - willbhere4u - 12-03-2013

It's the nature of the beast on a high compression engine. Rings never seal completely. but you could try some BG 109 engine flush next time you do an oil change. I've had that bring compression numbers back up by cleaning the rings out a bit. I did a compression testy on an Old land cruiser it brought one cylinder back from 50psi to 120psi and completely eliminated blow by.

RE: smoking from catch tank filter? - Hario' - 02-16-2014

Hello hello,

FYI I am 90% sure this is because the vacuum pump on Mercedes diesel engines dumps into the crankcase, that is why they have such large bore pipe work to deal with it.

H