STD
So i forgot to drain the water in the radiator - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Other (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Open (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: So i forgot to drain the water in the radiator (/showthread.php?tid=5119)

So i forgot to drain the water in the radiator - Purplecomputer - 11-26-2013

So i forgot to drain the water from the engine that I used in place of antifreeze during the summer.

Now its winter and I just remembered I had used water.

so should i expect a broken engine now?

RE: So i forgot to drain the water in the radiator - fordheaded - 11-26-2013

Well, the only to find out is run it and see. There weren't that many prolonged freezing days, so you might be alright.
Bring it up to temp and check for leaks. If not, change it out for the proper coolant. Ed

RE: So i forgot to drain the water in the radiator - Simpler=Better - 11-26-2013

Yeah drain that shit ASAP. Plug is on the passenger side, can get it through the wheel well. Also the radiator draincock. heh. draincock.

RE: So i forgot to drain the water in the radiator - Purplecomputer - 11-27-2013

The battery was dead so I charged it last night and She still runs. I drained all the water from the radiator but Its pouring right now and I cant see the plug on the engine so I will have to jack it up so get a better view.

have to wait till it stops raining. And also theres some antifreeze in the car just mostly water.

RE: So i forgot to drain the water in the radiator - Simpler=Better - 11-27-2013

(11-27-2013, 09:18 AM)Purplecomputer The battery was dead so I charged it last night and She still runs. I drained all the water from the radiator but Its pouring right now and I cant see the plug on the engine so I will have to jack it up so get a better view.

have to wait till it stops raining. And also theres some antifreeze in the car just mostly water.

You should be fine then. Definitely get more straight antifreeze in there and run it for a bit to mix it up real nice. You can buy a float tool to check the mix's freezing temp(may or may not be accurate but gives an idea)

RE: So i forgot to drain the water in the radiator - Austincarnut - 11-27-2013

ha, petcock

(11-26-2013, 10:18 PM)Simpler=Better Yeah drain that shit ASAP. Plug is on the passenger side, can get it through the wheel well. Also the radiator draincock. heh. draincock.

RE: So i forgot to drain the water in the radiator - Greazzer - 11-27-2013

Unless you had a deep freeze, you should be OK. Just because you hit 32F doesn't mean the inside of the block hit 32F. However, as everyone said a few times, drain the water and put some antifreeze in there. When you drained the antifreeze, did you see any oil ? And vice-versa, any coolant in the oil ? If it fired up and no smoking, you probably dodged a bullet -- unless you see a freeze plug sitting underneath of your car.

RE: So i forgot to drain the water in the radiator - sassparilla_kid - 11-27-2013

I ran my car pretty much all last winter with probably like 10% antifreeze and I didn't have any problems, but it also only gets down to low 20*s here on the coldest of nights

RE: So i forgot to drain the water in the radiator - MFSuper90 - 11-27-2013

Low of 15 here in SE Ohio tonight. I never put regular water in anything, we have too many vehicle to keep track of what is what.
We actually check the antifreeze with a tester each fall in all of our equipment, just to be safe.

RE: So i forgot to drain the water in the radiator - Purplecomputer - 11-28-2013

So i tried to remove the drain plug but I cant get to it thanks to the turbo i put in.

its difficult to see from the top and bottom.

RE: So i forgot to drain the water in the radiator - Simpler=Better - 11-28-2013

The solution to pollution applies here: dilution.

Run the engine and remove water/add antifreeze until you're at an OK mix.

RE: So i forgot to drain the water in the radiator - carlitosgy6 - 11-28-2013

its good to know that you still have it

RE: So i forgot to drain the water in the radiator - Purplecomputer - 11-29-2013

(11-28-2013, 11:29 AM)Simpler=Better The solution to pollution applies here: dilution.

I was thinking about doing that. didnt know if that would work or not. I guess common sense applies here.

(11-28-2013, 02:48 PM)carlitosgy6 its good to know that you still have it

Yeah, the manifolds you modified were great. The exhaust was just a tad bit off but with some force it went right in. the Turbo seems to be in great shape.

RE: So i forgot to drain the water in the radiator - JB3 - 12-02-2013

(11-29-2013, 12:56 AM)Purplecomputer
(11-28-2013, 11:29 AM)Simpler=Better The solution to pollution applies here: dilution.

I was thinking about doing that. didnt know if that would work or not. I guess common sense applies here.

pull the lower radiator hose, don't even bother with the pet and drain cocks.

RE: So i forgot to drain the water in the radiator - Purplecomputer - 12-06-2013

I removed what I could and I found some antifreeze in the garage. I should be good until I finish my classes and I can work some more hours to buy some more stuff.