STD
spring pads, no spring pads - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Suspension (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: spring pads, no spring pads (/showthread.php?tid=5093)

spring pads, no spring pads - bricktron - 11-17-2013

hi folks, i'm looking for a marginal amount of lowering without cutting the springs. is it cool to go totally without those nubbed pads? i have read about some doing so, while it seems the factory-approved route is to use one-nub pads. i also do not know if there are four or eight of these things on a car. thanks!

RE: spring pads, no spring pads - Torkey - 11-17-2013

(11-17-2013, 12:11 PM)bricktron hi folks, i'm looking for a marginal amount of lowering without cutting the springs. is it cool to go totally without those nubbed pads? i have read about some doing so, while it seems the factory-approved route is to use one-nub pads. i also do not know if there are four or eight of these things on a car. thanks!

What is the year and model of your car?

RE: spring pads, no spring pads - bricktron - 11-18-2013

my bad, i had put it in the wrong field of my profile. see below

RE: spring pads, no spring pads - SurfRodder - 11-21-2013

It's probably okay to run without, esp. in your climate. There are generally one spring pad per spring on your model/chassis, the bottom is metal to metal. You could also likely get a 1 nub pad (or larger for that matter) and shave it down a bit as well, may save a little wear on the spring pocket, or perhaps glue a thin piece of rubber to the top of the spring or pocket to keep a little cushion there.

on an unrelated note, I watched Shawn Langdon of the Al-Anabi Top Fuel drag race team beat Doug Kalitta a couple weekends back at the NHRA finals and take the Championship. They were kicking ass all season as well as all weekend. I hope to get over to Qatar in a few months.

RE: spring pads, no spring pads - mike-81-240d - 11-22-2013

I haven't had spring pads in the front for months. Also cut 1.5 coils. I'm cutting more next week, not happy with the height anymore.

RE: spring pads, no spring pads - bricktron - 11-23-2013

thanks guys. i guess the pads are there to minimize the spring digging into the cup? that seems moderately important, so i guess i will go for the one-nubs instead of going without, mike's experience notwithstanding. cheers!

RE: spring pads, no spring pads - john - 12-18-2013

(11-23-2013, 06:36 PM)bricktron thanks guys. i guess the pads are there to minimize the spring digging into the cup? that seems moderately important, so i guess i will go for the one-nubs instead of going without, mike's experience notwithstanding. cheers!

You might have a risk of squeaking sound when having long strokes of suspension.
There are (i think) 4 different heights you can buy at mercedes. They cost like 15 euro a piece so when i bought loweringsprings to my car i bought new pads, the thinnest they had.