STD
injectors - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Maintenance (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: General (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: injectors (/showthread.php?tid=4734)

injectors - DirtDiesel - 07-17-2013

so i started working on swapping my injectors due to poor performance and when i pulled out the injector in the fifth hole it was a bear to get out and when i finally did. the hole was so full of caked up carbon that its gunked up the threads and i cant even get my old heat shield out. what is the best way to remove the carbon and what might have caused it in the first place????

RE: injectors - mxfrank - 07-17-2013

I'm going to take a wild guess that the injector was cross threaded and did not seat properly against the heat shield.

RE: injectors - winmutt - 07-18-2013

Pretty hard to cross thread such a course thread. Misfiring could certainly cause this problem. Spray some PB blaster in there and turn the engine over. Might want to put a rag over the hole as the heatshield will come flying out at a good velocity (seen them put dents in hoods).

RE: injectors - Simpler=Better - 07-18-2013

(07-18-2013, 08:16 AM)winmutt Pretty hard to cross thread such a course thread. Misfiring could certainly cause this problem. Spray some PB blaster in there and turn the engine over. Might want to put a rag over the hole as the heatshield will come flying out at a good velocity (seen them put dents in hoods).

I must do this and get a video of it

RE: injectors - DirtDiesel - 07-18-2013

i will have to try that tonight after work. i was hoping that it was just the injectors but for it to run the crappy with only one bad injector makes me wonder if the pump needs work or replacement. if that were the case what would be a better way to go. replace or rebuild? gotta get old benny running again so i can go to school.

RE: injectors - Simpler=Better - 07-18-2013

(07-18-2013, 02:21 PM)DirtDiesel i will have to try that tonight after work. i was hoping that it was just the injectors but for it to run the crappy with only one bad injector makes me wonder if the pump needs work or replacement. if that were the case what would be a better way to go. replace or rebuild? gotta get old benny running again so i can go to school.

Unless you got water in the pump it's rare for them to wear out. A junkyard pump is going to be much cheaper and easier than rebuilding the original pump.

RE: injectors - DirtDiesel - 07-19-2013

so I got er all slammed back together. all the heat shields facing the right direction and whatnot. and when then motor finally catches after bleeding the lines..... holy white smoke! not so much at idle but like somebody started a fire when I rev it up. what did I do wrong or am I simply being an idiot lol

RE: injectors - Simpler=Better - 07-19-2013

Smoking with new injectors hmm...timing issue? valve adjustment?

RE: injectors - willbhere4u - 07-19-2013

Drive it around for awhile and let it get seated in and re check for smoke after 1000 miles

RE: injectors - DirtDiesel - 08-04-2013

turns out i was simply an idiot used atf on the return line nipples smoke went away after 5 miles. also on the rough idle issue, i rigged up a poor mans compression tester. because if i cracked injector number 5 it wouldnt sound any different. it was hard to tell but it seemed i only had about 295 300 psi in that piston. i think i read its around 400 is what it should be? would that cause it to idle so crappy and all of the sudden? ive got the proper tester to fit in the injector hole now. just need to order heat shields. so while im at it i can do all five and get an accurate number on all of them. but once its above an idle the car runs fine. plenty of power still.