STD
300D build thread (finally) - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Other (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Projects (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: 300D build thread (finally) (/showthread.php?tid=4604)

Pages: 1 2

300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 05-24-2013

Well, as some of you know, I have been lingering around on here for quite sometime. Finally got one of those fancy smart phones, so now i can finally figure out how to upload pictures Big Grin

Finally time to start a build thread, I am started by transplanting a om617 and 722.3 out of a wrecked car, and putting it in one with a decent body, interior, and locked up engine.

I have done simple things like gauges, tune the pump, remote oil filter, home made intake, etc...
Next on the list is an hx30 and A/W intercooler (courtesy of Kmaser) install. My extra head is currently in the shop getting gone through so i can replace the HG.

Pics soon to come, be patient with me as I do not get on too often Tongue

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 06-04-2013

I was going to wait until I got a good pic of my car, but I never remember.. So oh well. Here is a couple pics.
Spare head sent out (nasty egr gummed up ports)
[Image: null_zps217779f2.jpg]

I made this piece to allow me to use a silicone boot for the charge pipe. Currently getting welded by a friend (I'm terrible at aluminum)
[Image: null_zpsf768ad4c.jpg]
[Image: null_zps1784485a.jpg]

Starter piece to adapt my stock down pipe
[Image: null_zps811506f6.jpg]

More to come as time permits!

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - raysorenson - 06-05-2013

I think that lathe might be too small for the job.

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - Simpler=Better - 06-05-2013

Nice machining on the turbo pipe. Can you make it a press fit, and then the weld would just be extra strength?

I'd say go all out on the head. I went like 75% on my head because I was afraid of messing it up, but if you've got a spare head go to town.

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 06-05-2013

I just made sure the ID of the pipe was the same as the comp housing. The way I made it it sat right inside a ledge so it was centered perfectly.
The lathe might have been a little overkill, but it's our only lathe.
Old hendley, they used it to make gun barrels in WWII.
[Image: null_zps611a3dc3.jpg]
That's our Bridgeport to the left, not very good with it yet.

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - Simpler=Better - 06-06-2013

That mill will open doors, let me tell you son! Even without a DRO it's possible to make some sweet parts.

Adapter plates, steel flex disc replacements, fly cutting surfaces flat (such as a dead vacuum pump to make a blockoff plate). Need to make a turbo adapter plate and cut it flat? easy.

I would keep my eyes peeled for a rotary table, that can let you mill circular recesses into flat stuff. Like a starter snout recess.

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 06-06-2013

We have a rotary table, but I have yet to use it. Should be handy whenever we need it!
We fan a lot of our own parts for our equipemtn

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - offroaddieselhu - 06-07-2013

(06-05-2013, 09:09 PM)MFSuper90 I just made sure the ID of the pipe was the same as the comp housing. The way I made it it sat right inside a ledge so it was centered perfectly.
The lathe might have been a little overkill, but it's our only lathe.
Old hendley, they used it to make gun barrels in WWII.
[Image: null_zps611a3dc3.jpg]
That's our Bridgeport to the left, not very good with it yet.

western feeling
Smile

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 06-07-2013

My air to water intercooler/manifold
[Image: null_zps7bd81b02.jpg]
[Image: null_zps866ecd91.jpg]

Gotta love having a professional welder as a friend Big Grin
[Image: null_zps0856e2c0.jpg]

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - Simpler=Better - 06-07-2013

Those welds are awesome.

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 06-07-2013

He does some amazing work
He didn't weld the intercooler though, only the small block off plate where the factory inlet should be

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 07-29-2013

Finally making a little progress! Had to work outside cause out shop was full..
[Image: null_zpsbc95b0ca.jpg]

What's in it you ask? None other than a twin turbo'd, inline injection pump, 700 some cubic inch Mercedes v8!
[Image: null_zps95135dfa.jpg]

Here is a picture of my old dirty jalopy
[Image: null_zpsd3e7b771.jpg]

And some unnecessary AC junk finally yanked off
[Image: null_zps90fc9f76.jpg]

And an really dirty engine bay shot!
[Image: null_zps66d1b1d4.jpg]

Hopefully soon I'll get the intercooler and turbo mounted up... Time permitting

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - larsalan - 07-29-2013

That plastic box on the valve cover is junk too. And so is that cruise control thing.

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 07-30-2013

What does that plastic box even do?
I was hoping to maybe get the cruise to work someday, is it a PIA?

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - larsalan - 07-30-2013

That 3/2 switch inside the plastic box is supposed to do something with adjusting shifting times in relation to egr or some shit. I think it is common to delete that. And as for cruise, I have always thought cruise is stupid on all cars. You might as well let somebody else drive if you can't handle the throttle yourself.

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - w123love - 07-31-2013

(07-30-2013, 01:55 PM)larsalan That 3/2 switch inside the plastic box is supposed to do something with adjusting shifting times in relation to egr or some shit. I think it is common to delete that. And as for cruise, I have always thought cruise is stupid on all cars. You might as well let somebody else drive if you can't handle the throttle yourself.

That is somewhat ridiculous...

Driving from San Diego to Texas I have wished many times I had cruise control simply because I wanted to stretch my right leg without losing speed.

To remedy it usually takes a rebuilt amplifier. Not hard to replace or find a suitable replacement.

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - Simpler=Better - 07-31-2013

Yeah, for the 8hr trips cruise would be awesome. Is that an electric boost sensor on the intake?

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 08-02-2013

(07-31-2013, 09:57 AM)Simpler=Better Yeah, for the 8hr trips cruise would be awesome. Is that an electric boost sensor on the intake?

Good eye Simpler!
Yes it is, came with the Glowshift gauge. Fit nicely in my egr port, but not sure where itll go with my new intercooler.
(If I ever get it fit) haha

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - sassparilla_kid - 08-07-2013

You should throw some inlet/outlet temp gauges on that intercooled manifold you got there!

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 08-08-2013

I might have to do that sometime sassparilla, probably not anytime soon though. I am leaving for college in a little more than a week. Im not real keen on electronic stuff either.

Well made some major progress on the old girl yesterday. Got my hx30 almost fitted and my intercooler ready to be plumbed from the charger.
Had to cut off the EGR port on my exhaust manifold to get the hx30 to fit because the housing is a tad bit larger. On a good note though, the stock oil drain bolts up perfectly. Got my exhaust all hooked up and welded together, not looking too bad acutally. Today on the to do list is to get my turbo oil supply line created, and somehow plumb the intake to the intercooler. If I get lucky maybe run water lines to the IC

I have decided to pull the stock AC condensor out and replace it with some type of heat exchanger, probably like a trans cooler or something close to those lines. I decided against the stock AC unit because of how small the high pressure side line is, I think it would create a pretty large restriction.

Pics to come after the 12th, I ran out of gigs on my monthly plan so I cant upload pics until it resets lol

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - Simpler=Better - 08-08-2013

(08-08-2013, 07:33 AM)MFSuper90 I might have to do that sometime sassparilla, probably not anytime soon though. I am leaving for college in a little more than a week. Im not real keen on electronic stuff either.

Well made some major progress on the old girl yesterday. Got my hx30 almost fitted and my intercooler ready to be plumbed from the charger.
Had to cut off the EGR port on my exhaust manifold to get the hx30 to fit because the housing is a tad bit larger. On a good note though, the stock oil drain bolts up perfectly. Got my exhaust all hooked up and welded together, not looking too bad acutally. Today on the to do list is to get my turbo oil supply line created, and somehow plumb the intake to the intercooler. If I get lucky maybe run water lines to the IC

I have decided to pull the stock AC condensor out and replace it with some type of heat exchanger, probably like a trans cooler or something close to those lines. I decided against the stock AC unit because of how small the high pressure side line is, I think it would create a pretty large restriction.

Pics to come after the 12th, I ran out of gigs on my monthly plan so I cant upload pics until it resets lol

post them on imgur or contact winmutt for hosting

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 08-08-2013

(08-08-2013, 12:11 PM)Simpler=Better post them on imgur or contact winmutt for hosting

Guess I should restate that, the gigs on my phone are almost out. haha my bad

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 08-11-2013

Finally got it together today and drove it for the first time and all i can say is wow! That charger is whistles so loud, I love it!
One of my buddies was driving infront of me and he said he could hear my turbo overtop his radio Big Grin
But it runs pretty good, maxed out at 18psi of boost for now. I think it needs more boost and more fuel, burns clean as a whistle once it spools. Spool time isn't bad, but not quite as good as the Garret, but i didnt expect it to be the same. I also have alot more manifold space to fill now too.
Max EGT's were 1225F going up a steep a** hill foot to the floor. I am not sure how accurate my egt gauge is though. I think a little more boost will bring egt's down a little.

As for the intercooler, I havent shot it with my infared temp thingy, but after a good drive I popped the hood and could definitely feel a temperature difference before and after the cooler.

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 08-13-2013

Picture time. Here's my manifold that I cut the egr off and rewelded it.
[Image: null_zps9a456d26.jpg]
[Image: null_zps071fd51b.jpg]

Picture of my hx30 installed.
[Image: null_zps85ff2c7c.jpg]
[Image: null_zps13c7208d.jpg]

The whole shebang
[Image: null_zps0a3939db.jpg]

Made my tank out of 4inch PVC pipe and two caps. works great.

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - Simpler=Better - 08-13-2013

That manifold welding is sweet! How many cutting discs did you burn up?

The AWIC looks great, have you considered shielding/wrapping the exhaust to cut down on heat soak?

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 08-13-2013

The manifold was pretty easy to do actually, and I only used up about half a cutting disc Big Grin
I just cut off all the extra crap down to the hole beside the turbo flange, then shoved a piece of solid tubing in it, and welding with a regular old MIG welder.

And I did consider making a shield, but its impractical. I can barely get the nuts to hold the manifold on as it is, so the only viable route would be to wrap the charger with a blanket and wrap the rest. But I don't know if ill do that, I did about an hour and a half of freeway driving at 70-75 mph, ~3300 rpm, after I got off my exit i popped the hood and felt the water, and it was even hot. Like maybe 140? maybe not even that hot. I could touch the cooler lines and it wasn't even close to burning me. Too hot to touch is around 140 if I remeber correctly.

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - vaccin - 08-15-2013

Great project that you have started and the fit is close.
Is that a Claus in the shop.

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 08-18-2013

Yessir that is a 840 claas chopper. Claas makes some of the finest farm equipment in the world, in my opinion. And that should mean a lot, because I am a hard core Massey Ferguson fan

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - Simpler=Better - 08-18-2013

(08-18-2013, 08:55 AM)MFSuper90 Yessir that is a 840 claas chopper. Claas makes some of the finest farm equipment in the world, in my opinion. And that should mean a lot, because I am a hard core Massey Ferguson fan

Except the old Massey's with the damn vertical throw clutch pedal. You don't kick it forward, you press it down...while sitting it's really annoying

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 08-18-2013

Easy there simpler, that's what my pulling tractor has Wink

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - vaccin - 08-22-2013

(08-18-2013, 08:55 AM)MFSuper90 Yessir that is a 840 claas chopper. Claas makes some of the finest farm equipment in the world, in my opinion. And that should mean a lot, because I am a hard core Massey Ferguson fan

from the world of motherland invention.

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 08-23-2013

Exactly Wink
We have a claas hay baler, hay rake, chopper, and soon to be a mower also!

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 09-01-2013

Little update. I've been driving the old girl daily the past couple weeks. First half tank was all highway driving and ended up netting 23mpg, which I was happy with. The next tank and a half was mixed city and highway driving and ended up being 25.7mpg! I couldn't be happier, performance mods and pick up around 5mpg more!

I'm pretty excited to try my new 315 injectors, time the pump, bigger PCs, and get my cam degree back to normal and see what happens with mileage then. Not sure if the 315 will hurt my mileage or not, but we will find out in two weeks or so!

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - 1911diesel - 09-02-2013

i cant wait to hear how those 315s work out! i got some stuff comming in the mail and day off tomorrow, hope to make some progress on my project. nice shop btw i love the hanging wrenches, ahhh to have an organized shop again...... enjoy it. some of us are stuck working on the side of the road or in the basement. have you thought about rims on the ol girl? nice project, how much did the intercooler drop egts? how much boost do you run? what is your high way cruise boost?

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 09-02-2013

(09-02-2013, 12:00 AM)1911diesel nice shop btw i love the hanging wrenches, ahhh to have an organized shop again...... enjoy it. some of us are stuck working on the side of the road or in the basement. have you thought about rims on the ol girl? nice project, how much did the intercooler drop egts? how much boost do you run? what is your high way cruise boost?

I do love having that shop, but finding time when we don't have equipment in it is the hard part Big Grin

I would love to get some rims, but I am too tight to spend my money. I should just break down and get some, idk time will tell haha.

Its hard for me to tell how much exactly the intercooler dropped EGT's because before the IC I had the probe after the turbo, and now its in the manifold where it should be. But, before the intercooler I could hit 1000F and have to let off to keep it from climbing, and supposing the 200-300* change between before and after the charger i'd say around 1300F
Now with the intercooler, I cant get it above 1225F, and cruising temps are about 200* cooler.

Right now the hx30 is gated at 18psi, and cruising down the highway at 70mph I build around 10psi. I haven't clamped the gate shut yet to see what itll do, might have to try that soon, just for curiosity's sake Big Grin

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 09-10-2013

My last tank averaged 27.8mpg.

Is that crazy talk or is it really doing that good?
I added cenpeco outlaw additive to the last tank which is suppose to raise the cetane 12 points just for shits and giggles.

Also my tank was reading under a 1/4 but it only took 13 gallons to fill up, y'all think my gauge is screwed up? From my research the tank should be around 21 gallons

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - larsalan - 09-11-2013

Tank ought to be 20gal. My gauge has always been flaky like that too. 27mpg sounds pretty good to me. I had measured my mpg before to be anywhere from 20-30mpg.

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 09-12-2013

I am extremely happy with 25+mpg. Maybe after I get my pump retimed it'll help even more!

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 10-24-2013

So I might be able to squeeze in a couple dyno runs this Saturday! I'm pretty stoked about it. If not Saturday, this spring for sure. Interesting to see how my mods did.

This run will be on stock injectors, maybe in the spring I can Re dyno with greazzers 315's he is whipping up for me Big Grin

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 10-26-2013

Dyno run is in!
[Image: null_zpsd1e34361.jpg]
122hp with 182tq.
Not as great as I had hoped, but that turbo has the capability of ALOT more fuel.
It was fun to see how it did though, I was the only car there, everybody loved it.

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - Simpler=Better - 10-27-2013

FINALLY A DYNO SHEET THANK YOU!

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 10-27-2013

No problem, I got three of them, three different pulls. 4200, 3800, and 3500.
It made considerably less tq at 4200. Clear down to 160ft lb. but it made 124hp instead of 122.

I think I could be close to 150 if I had more fuel, I have plenty of air, just not fuel.

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - willbhere4u - 10-28-2013

Is that at the rear wheels if so that's very respectable with out any modification to the pump

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 10-28-2013

(10-28-2013, 09:31 AM)willbhere4u Is that at the rear wheels if so that's very respectable with out any modification to the pump

Yeah that's at the wheels, I'm pretty happy with it, but there is always room for improvement Wink

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - willbhere4u - 10-28-2013

You are ready now for a custom injection pump! 225hp 350lb all day

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 10-28-2013

(10-28-2013, 09:50 AM)willbhere4u You are ready now for a custom injection pump! 225hp 350lb all day

I just wish my wallet was as ready for one as I am Big Grin
Do they sell big IP's and manual trans in packages?:p

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 11-05-2013

Got my 315 injectors in, starts nice, idles great, and seems my throttle response is a little better. They didn't make a huge difference, but I don't have enough fuel flowing to them to really tell.

I'm gonna try to adjust my pump more sometime

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - DirtDiesel - 11-29-2013

I was just contemplating a similar setup the other day. cant wait to see how yours turns out

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - sassparilla_kid - 11-29-2013

Do you notice any difference in spool time vs stock turbo?

RE: 300D build thread (finally) - MFSuper90 - 11-30-2013

(11-29-2013, 03:35 PM)sassparilla_kid Do you notice any difference in spool time vs stock turbo?

It is a tad slower, but if I had a bigger IP or even messed with mine stock one some more I think it would boost it close to stock.
An hx30 is efficient clear 'til like 35psi, enough boost to where our 617 would make our rods look like coat hangers Big Grin

I have plans to advance the timing some more soon, be interesting to see how that affects spool and power.