STD
what is under the rear seat of a W123? - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Body Mods (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: what is under the rear seat of a W123? (/showthread.php?tid=4489)

what is under the rear seat of a W123? - bricktron - 04-11-2013

it's the middle of the night and my car is not parked outside or i would go look underneath, but seriously - the seat sits most of a foot higher than the floor, and i think the rear axle is well farther back. is the seat sitting on an empty cavity that could be occupied by a battery or a fuel tank? or am i completely forgetting about some crucial component that lives there? thanks for tips :-)

RE: what is under the rear seat of a W123? - larsalan - 04-11-2013

there is spare change and dust under there. And there is about 6-8in of springs. I have my back seat and backrest out to make room tools.

RE: what is under the rear seat of a W123? - Eric78 - 04-11-2013

All Mercs I've known have the steel box under the rear seat, on the w201 it's full of sound deadening material, under that is the vacuum pump for the boot (trunk) release.

It is a fairly large space, nearly large enough that when someone I know was considering converting a w201 to electric nearly all the batteries could have fit in there.

RE: what is under the rear seat of a W123? - Simpler=Better - 04-11-2013

I pulled mine for extra room too. A sealed battery or a fuel cell could go there. Would make the ride a bit harsh for passengers though Smile

RE: what is under the rear seat of a W123? - Greazzer - 04-11-2013

Having experimented with battery relocation, and finding the rear cargo pocket in the trunk very doable -- I have done it -- I can say there is no room for a battery under the seat. You cannot even cut a hole to make room by recessing the battery box. It's too close to the rear trailing arm bracket. Actually, there is maybe 4-5 inches, but when you sit you compress the area, so maybe you have 2-3 inches if that. If you can figure out a way to snake a fuel line inside the car, then maybe a pump and filter set up, but the noise issue would need some serious R&D.

I'm assuming he's talking about a racecar setup-in which the rear seat would be scrapped and the battery/ whatever would replace it.

RE: what is under the rear seat of a W123? - Greazzer - 04-11-2013

Oppps, my bad then. My wife would kill me with that set-up and she already hates driving in my greaser. LOL.

(04-11-2013, 01:21 PM)Greazzer Oppps, my bad then. My wife would kill me with that set-up and she already hates driving in my greaser. LOL.

Heated seat ($75), 4 "dish" air fresheners under the seats($20), and a real radio/speakers($150-$200). You won't get the car back.

RE: what is under the rear seat of a W123? - bricktron - 04-11-2013

here's the front edge of what i think you all are describing....
[Image: body281.png]

i got my car back from the body shop. so there is empty space beneath the seat base indeed, but constrained by the trailing arm as mentioned. it does look hard to fit a battery there. thanks for the tips!

i measured 4 and 5 inches below the seat base to the flush edges below and as you estimated about 2 inches of clearance inside the seat itself. i guess the only possibility is to weld a steel tub dropped below the floor next to the driveshaft and mount in it a lower-profile battery (or several). sweet.

RE: what is under the rear seat of a W123? - JB3 - 07-13-2013

Here's an idea, why not mount the seat boxes from two front seats, and make a permanent center console under which the battery lives

RE: what is under the rear seat of a W123? - larsalan - 07-13-2013

I think we had seen someone put 2 front seats in the back of a 126 before. I'll never find the images though Sad

RE: what is under the rear seat of a W123? - Simpler=Better - 07-14-2013

(07-13-2013, 05:29 PM)JB3 Here's an idea, why not mount the seat boxes from two front seats, and make a permanent center console under which the battery lives

because the bench seat is priceless at the drive ins

RE: what is under the rear seat of a W123? - larsalan - 07-14-2013

I want a bench seat in the front of my car. Just too lazy to find one and rig it in.

RE: what is under the rear seat of a W123? - CRD4x4 - 07-15-2013

(07-14-2013, 03:59 PM)larsalan I want a bench seat in the front of my car. Just too lazy to find one and rig it in.

I'll give you a 300td bench in palomino if you'd actually use it in the front!
No delivery!

RE: what is under the rear seat of a W123? - sassparilla_kid - 07-15-2013

I don't think a front bench in a w123 is very easily doable, I already thought about it some time ago and it would require some real innovation

RE: what is under the rear seat of a W123? - sellena - 02-03-2014

Though I am not 100 percent sure about this, yet I can say that there is no space for battery under the rear seat. You have no option to cut down the hole in order to make the room by recessing the battery box. It is extremely closer to the rear trailing arm bracket. In fact, you can find 4 to 5 inches gap in it, however, the moment you sit here you are supposed to compress the area hence you can see 2 or 3 inches gap in that. If you are able to find out the ways to snake the fuel line inside your vehicle somewhere inside the filter or pump set up you can get to see a couple of other components as well. Also, if you come across the noise issues here you would certainly go to require some serious kind of research to get rid of the same.

If you look on www.carseatvs.com/dofind

I think Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 with Tiny Fit or Safety 1st All-in-One could match your requirement.
Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 with Tiny Fit
http://www.maxi-cosi.com/us-en/products/...y-fit.aspx
Safety 1st All-in-One
http://safety1st.djgusa.com/en/djgusa/sa...n-cc068bwo
you can also compare the two type by
http://www.carseatvs.com/compare

you can also compare the two type by
http://www.carseatvs.com/compare

RE: what is under the rear seat of a W123? - MFSuper90 - 02-10-2014

^^Car seats for little kids? Wth

RE: what is under the rear seat of a W123? - DanielK - 04-24-2014

lmfao. look at the post, itself. it used key words from every post before it to bash sentences together. Wow.

RE: what is under the rear seat of a W123? - Greazzer - 04-25-2014

I was 100% wrong ! You can mount batteries under the back seat. It is pricey, but you can install two PC950 Odysseys (on their side) or your could go really sexy and mount two EarthX ...

The first choice is $400 plus hardware and cable
The second choice is $1,450 plus hardware and cable

Pretty pricey mod.

RE: what is under the rear seat of a W123? - bricktron - 06-01-2014

nice work, mark. i haven't done it either. how's that engine coming?