STD
EGR removel - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: EGR removel (/showthread.php?tid=436)

EGR removel - Jtn190D - 06-16-2009

Hi i do any of you now if i can get rid of EGR on my 2.5 Turbo engine let me now.

RE: EGR removel - ForcedInduction - 06-16-2009

What year and model?

RE: EGR removel - 2.5-10 - 06-16-2009

im guessing a 1987 190D 2.5 Turbo from his name (only 1 turbo diesel 190 in 1 year)

RE: EGR removel - ForcedInduction - 06-16-2009

In that case its as simple as plugging the vacuum line, placing a blank gasket under the EGR face or making blocking plates to remove it completely and is illegal in all 50 states.

RE: EGR removel - Jtn190D - 06-17-2009

87 190D.. Are you sure it's illegal in all states? why? won't it use less fuel. did you do it?

RE: EGR removel - 2.5-10 - 06-17-2009

I'm also curious about removing it on my 87 190D turbo OM602.961

where is the vacuum line, and what needs to be plugged?

I'm sick of dirty IMs, I have to clean out my boost line waay too often.

RE: EGR removel - ForcedInduction - 06-17-2009

(06-17-2009, 07:17 AM)Jtn190D Are you sure it's illegal in all states?

Yes.
http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repairqa/exhaust_muffler/ques081_0.html

Federal law makes it illegal for ANYONE to tamper with, disconnect, remove or otherwise render inoperative ANY emissions-related control device. The Environmental Protection Agency and most states have actually been rather lax about enforcing this rule on motorists, but they haven't hesitated to nail professional service facilities that have been guilty of tampering.

Revisions to the Clean Air Act in 1990 further broadened the definition of emissions tampering to include virtually ANY type of engine or exhaust system modification that alters what comes out the tailpipe. That means any nonstock aftermarket part that is installed on your engine must be EPA-approved and emissions legal (except on the exempt vehicles previously noted).

Before the law was revised in 1990, it was only illegal for professional mechanics to remove or disconnect emission control devices. There was nothing to prevent a motorist from tampering with their own vehicles. That loophole has since been plugged.

Don't let that make you hesitate for an instant though. The EGR is nothing but a negative stain on Diesels. It sacrifices too much to gain far too little in NOx reduction.

90% of Swift trucks have had their EGR (two EGRs on the Volvo D12 engines) replaced at least once. Where is the emissions reduction in that when hundreds of thousands of replacement valves must be made? Smelting iron isn't exactly a "clean" process!

Anyways, the vacuum line at the valve itself can be plugged.

RE: EGR removel - winmutt - 06-17-2009

Tampering with any EPA mandated device is illegal. Not that it has stopped anyone from doing it.

RE: EGR removel - Jtn190D - 06-18-2009

You don't think they would bother me about it? Anyways i think i will do it. Another thing i have my manifold off fixing injector leek and manifold was filed with gunk, so i started my engine and reved it up and oil was spraying out of my turbo. what i need to now is, is my turbo bad or what, and if it is what should i do get it rebuilt or put a bigger one in? im not sure how hard it would be to put a VGT turbo in Let Me Now..

RE: EGR removel - 2.5-10 - 06-18-2009

where is said vacuum line? I have my manifold off once a year to clean the damn thing out because of this stupid thing.

RE: EGR removel - Jtn190D - 06-18-2009

is your turbo bad to.

RE: EGR removel - GREASY_BEAST - 06-19-2009

(06-18-2009, 07:05 PM)Jtn190D is your turbo bad to.

jtn190D, how is the oil consumption on your car, that is, how often do you have to add oil? Also, I'm not sure how the crank case vent is routed on the 2.5 engines, but residual oil from the crankcase vent in the turbine could be the cause of your oil spraying. If your oil consumption isn't bad, you probably don't have a problem with your turbo seals. If it is, and your seals are bad, you can replace them for about $150 in parts and a weekend.. Just make sure you use lots of PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, or whatever.

On my 617 the EGR definitely caused buildup in the manifold, but the CCV contributed to a lot of similar buildup in the turbine. I dissolved/scraped about 1/16" of gunk out of the turbine that was similar in every way to the EGR gunk except that it had less particulates in it and didn't seem like it was baked on quite so hard.

RE: EGR removel - 2.5-10 - 06-19-2009

nope. far from it

(06-19-2009, 11:39 AM)GREASY_BEAST

jtn190D, how is the oil consumption on your car, that is, how often do you have to add oil? Also, I'm not sure how the crank case vent is routed on the 2.5 engines, but residual oil from the crankcase vent in the turbine could be the cause of your oil spraying. If your oil consumption isn't bad, you probably don't have a problem with your turbo seals. If it is, and your seals are bad, you can replace them for about $150 in parts and a weekend.. Just make sure you use lots of PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, or whatever.

On my 617 the EGR definitely caused buildup in the manifold, but the CCV contributed to a lot of similar buildup in the turbine. I dissolved/scraped about 1/16" of gunk out of the turbine that was similar in every way to the EGR gunk except that it had less particulates in it and didn't seem like it was baked on quite so hard.

I am at a loss though - I dont see where on the manifold the exhaust gets thrown into the intake...

RE: EGR removel - Einar - 06-21-2009

Maybe you can just unplug the EGR-Relay, if nothing is stuck it does the same job, and dont close any throttlebodys.
It works on those delivered in norway.

RE: EGR removel - 2.5-10 - 06-21-2009

i still have no idea where the relay or valve is for the EGR.