STD
Previa supercharger? - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Previa supercharger? (/showthread.php?tid=4308)

Previa supercharger? - jenyus - 01-30-2013

Toyota guys like them. They come off of certain model Toyota Previa minivans. They do about 7-11lbs of boost, they're small and they're cheap. The coolest thing about them though is they have an electronic clutch, like an ac compressor. So you can get extra power or better economy at the flip of a switch. I think they'd be a good candidiate for a super turbo setup. What do you guys think?

RE: Previa supercharger? - sassparilla_kid - 01-30-2013

Sounds like it might be worth looking into, with that electronic clutch you could set it up to kick off once the turbo is making sufficient boost with a pressure switch and a relay

RE: Previa supercharger? - mike-81-240d - 01-30-2013

Go on... Big Grin

RE: Previa supercharger? - lgreeley83 - 01-30-2013

Oohhh!

RE: Previa supercharger? - willbhere4u - 01-30-2013

I think some of the Mercedes superchargers have a clutch also c230 kompressor?

RE: Previa supercharger? - jenyus - 01-30-2013

you're right they do as well and put out about 12psi of boost on a stock mercedes. seems like it would be an even better candidate then the previa

RE: Previa supercharger? - sassparilla_kid - 01-30-2013

So the Mercedes superchargers seem to be going for about $600 or so, whereas I can't really find any for the Previa, probably because they only imported about 160 of them into the United States lol

RE: Previa supercharger? - jenyus - 01-31-2013

Really? Only 160? That doesn't sound right, I see previas everywhere. I've talked to a couple guys who have bought them at pick n pull for $50

RE: Previa supercharger? - sassparilla_kid - 01-31-2013

(01-31-2013, 02:06 AM)jenyus Really? Only 160? That doesn't sound right, I see previas everywhere. I've talked to a couple guys who have bought them at pick n pull for $50

I was joking lol, but in all reality I think I have only seen about 3 in my life, maybe they just weren't big sellers in the central valley

They're really popular with Mexicans, you see a ton of them in the Modesto/Merced area. That's what you get for living in fresno! Missing out on sweet minivans haha

RE: Previa supercharger? - sassparilla_kid - 01-31-2013

Haha, yeah, I try not to head that way too frequently

RE: Previa supercharger? - willbhere4u - 01-31-2013

I had one from a Previa it was kind of bulky I ended up selling it.

They look a little fatter than most but they don't look as deep

RE: Previa supercharger? - Booster - 02-01-2013

which models have the supercharger? Any uk ones?

RE: Previa supercharger? - Hario' - 02-13-2013

Previa supercharger surely has a much smaller displacement than the mercedes supercharger because of the toyota's smaller (2.4l) engine displacement?
And you need to retain the bypass plumbing if you use the clutch because it's a positive displacement supercharger.

The mercedes turbo diesel will create minimal boost at cruise anyway, to me it seems like a complex method of achieving the same result, a forced induction mercedes diesel..?
H