STD
Another new car.... - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Other (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Projects (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Another new car.... (/showthread.php?tid=4293)

Another new car.... - sassparilla_kid - 01-26-2013

Picked up a '74 240D with a 4-speed, it will be my daily driver in the interim until I get my transmission swapped in the w123. It has a clean body, interior isn't bad, and unknown miles on the engine. Pictures to come sometime tomorrow.

Also, can someboooooody please explain w115 climate control to me? What are all these levers for? And also more questions to come when I start figuring some out.

RE: Another new car.... - sassparilla_kid - 01-27-2013

Alright here's a couple pictures, I'll try to take more, eventually

If you look closely you can see other Mercedes hiding in the background lol

RE: Another new car.... - Greazzer - 01-27-2013

That's a very cool looking car. Very classey look !

RE: Another new car.... - sassparilla_kid - 01-27-2013

Thanks! I've been having a blast driving it around the last couple days, manual trans is so much fun!

Needs some Hella 500 fogs though I think, maybe

RE: Another new car.... - Bangaway - 01-27-2013

I would like one of those too. They had great colors back then. I would love to do a 606 turbo project with that car.

RE: Another new car.... - sassparilla_kid - 01-28-2013

Got rear ended today, I'll post pictures when I'm near a computer. Pretty much the worst day in s while, I also had one of the front wheels on a tractor I was driving break off mid-turn, a very large tractor, Case IH 305 Magnum

RE: Another new car.... - Greazzer - 01-28-2013

Are you serious ? No way --- was it a mild tap or did you get zapped ? I feel bad for you ...poop

RE: Another new car.... - Simpler=Better - 01-28-2013

You young kids keep getting hit.....

RE: Another new car.... - Bangaway - 01-29-2013

Your new ride got rear ended? WTF

RE: Another new car.... - TheDon - 01-29-2013

damn it, that car was so nice!

RE: Another new car.... - mike-81-240d - 01-29-2013

I saw on facebook, effing sucks dude. It looked so clean beforehand too.

RE: Another new car.... - sassparilla_kid - 01-29-2013

Here's a few pics, one of the car, and one of the tractor that broke on me

I'm surprised the fender buckled, since I was hit square from behind. Didn't do shit to the lady's truck, other than 2 small dents in her bumper from the rubber blocks on my rear bumper

Never had this happen before.

Anyway, I took the car to the best body shop in town earlier (partly because my dad knows the people over there) to get an estimate, and they said its definitely fixable and are gonna call me back with a price. I'm hoping they decide it was the lady's fault, it was questionable because I had just pulled out onto the road and was getting up to speed when she hit me, although I'm pretty sure she was speeding and on the phone, and also her brake marks didn't start until after where I pulled out from so she had plenty of time to see me and either go around or start slowing down earlier. Gah fuuuuuuuuuuuuuurk this is irritating. Angry

RE: Another new car.... - DeliveryValve - 01-31-2013

Wow, great purchase!

Wow, wrecked it already!

With the limited view the pic has, it doesn't look too bad. Hopefully you can get it back on the road. There is a straight w115 at my local yard i can get parts off of for you if needed.

RE: Another new car.... - willbhere4u - 01-31-2013

That sucks there was a guy that fixed similar damage to this. He chained down the car and used a tractor to pull the body back out. looked good when he was done.

RE: Another new car.... - sassparilla_kid - 01-31-2013

Yeah my insurance people are talking to the body shop I took the car to for an estimate to decide if they want to fix it or what. The whole rear passenger fender is shifter forward to where the door almost rubs on it, and the trunk lid is all out of alignment and won't stay closed, but they told me it is definitely fixable. I guess they have a giant machine that pulls the car out straight over the course of several hours, and then they have a body guy take care of the rest.

If the insurance company decides to fix the car I'm gonna pay the difference to have the whole car repainted, thinking about going with the a two-tone, either white or off-white over the original navy blue, what do y'all think?

Also DeliveryValve, I'll let you know about them parts!

RE: Another new car.... - axel606 - 01-31-2013

(01-31-2013, 03:40 PM)sassparilla_kid Yeah my insurance people are talking to the body shop I took the car to for an estimate to decide if they want to fix it or what. The whole rear passenger fender is shifter forward to where the door almost rubs on it, and the trunk lid is all out of alignment and won't stay closed, but they told me it is definitely fixable. I guess they have a giant machine that pulls the car out straight over the course of several hours, and then they have a body guy take care of the rest.

If the insurance company decides to fix the car I'm gonna pay the difference to have the whole car repainted, thinking about going with the a two-tone, either white or off-white over the original navy blue, what do y'all think?

Also DeliveryValve, I'll let you know about them parts!
the car that was pulled out was this 1973 240d just a few pictures before after before going away for paint and a whole tub of bondo!                    

RE: Another new car.... - sassparilla_kid - 01-31-2013

If that car was fixed then mine should be a piece of cake, lol

RE: Another new car.... - axel606 - 01-31-2013

(01-31-2013, 03:02 PM)willbhere4u That sucks there was a guy that fixed similar damage to this. He chained down the car and used a tractor to pull the body back out. looked good when he was done.
hi, i hope this is the one you mean - never again type job though, neither of the back doors would open easily before i started (one was jammed) they now have the merc 'click' again ,the car was about 1 mile per hour away from being too bad to do .
the car in the thread ,that's a minor ding compared to the horror of the light blue car ,it was hit so hard the battery had jumped up in its tray and dinged the hood from the inside -ouch! the fuel tank was nearly folded in half, full of 25 year old diesel (which got put in my tractor ,it went like a rocket with very little black smoke -good stuff)

RE: Another new car.... - willbhere4u - 02-01-2013

That's the one amazing job saving it.

RE: Another new car.... - axel606 - 02-02-2013

(02-01-2013, 12:37 PM)willbhere4u That's the one amazing job saving it.
they are nice old mercs but they are so weak in a rear impact hence the damage to the dark blue car ,its all scarily thin metal and the trunk floor has no strength ,i pulled the damage out and replaced the rear wings with used wings from a scrap car , the back panel was pulled straight and the light cluster panels grafted in from the donor ,i cut the lower valance off and straightened it out and welded it back on and of course the trunk lid/diesel tank was from the donor also. if it gets hit again it will be game over ...

RE: Another new car.... - sassparilla_kid - 02-02-2013

So there was another wreck about a quarter mile from where mine was, about an hour ago, only this time it was next to my boss's property and a car is upside down in the grain field, and it took out a bunch of fence, and I probably get to fix it. Oh joy I love digging out fence posts snapped off at the ground :/

RE: Another new car.... - larsalan - 02-02-2013

No reason to dig it up. Cut them off at the grade and set you a new post next to it. Less work=more better.

RE: Another new car.... - sassparilla_kid - 02-02-2013

(02-02-2013, 05:23 PM)larsalan No reason to dig it up. Cut them off at the grade and set you a new post next to it. Less work=more better.

They're already snapped at the ground

RE: Another new car.... - larsalan - 02-02-2013

great, even less work Wink

RE: Another new car.... - sassparilla_kid - 02-12-2013

The body shop estimated $7200 to pull the back end straight and weld in a new fender, so they can fuck off. I could do that with a tractor or a comealong, and weld in a new fender myself, for the cost of a junkyard fender.

RE: Another new car.... - Simpler=Better - 02-12-2013

haha they saw the star and went for the top.

RE: Another new car.... - JB3 - 02-12-2013

this is an upsetting thread. I can't believe your 74 already got smashed! Angry

With your damage, and what axel606 went through, im thinking id be better off building some kind of tubular frame and welding it into the trunk of my 74 to limit damage if it gets hit.

Bet you love that pull start though. Big Grin
My favorite feature

RE: Another new car.... - larsalan - 02-12-2013

I say send that $7200 estimate over to the insurance company and that cunt that smashed into you.
Then go from there.

RE: Another new car.... - sassparilla_kid - 03-13-2013

GAAAAHHHHHHHHH, AAA SAYS THEY'RE GONNA FIX THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!! BWAHAHAHAAHAHAA, INSURANCE FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: Another new car.... - Simpler=Better - 03-13-2013

(03-13-2013, 02:27 PM)sassparilla_kid GAAAAHHHHHHHHH, AAA SAYS THEY'RE GONNA FIX THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!! BWAHAHAHAAHAHAA, INSURANCE FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Insane. They're paying out $7,200 for your old ass car? That's awesome! I mean, you car looks like a 7k example, but most insurance companies see anything older than 2005 and say screw it

RE: Another new car.... - sassparilla_kid - 03-13-2013

Yeah I was pretty surprised as well about the while decision

RE: Another new car.... - willbhere4u - 03-13-2013

Awesome pics when it's fixed!

RE: Another new car.... - sassparilla_kid - 03-15-2013

(03-13-2013, 09:09 PM)willbhere4u Awesome pics when it's fixed!

Will do.

Also, apparently the insurance company decided this whole incident was "100%" my fault. While I may not be able to prove it was the lady's fault, I am fairly confident I can prove it wasn't entirely my fault because there is a blind spot at the intersection from where somebody decided to put a power pole that blocks the view of oncoming traffic. Fresno and Madera counties (Madera county is where this whole ordeal occurred) are pretty notorious for planting large bushes, signs, trees, really tall mailboxes, etc. at intersections where the line is a little way back from the corner so you cannot see oncoming traffic at all, and then they plant motorcycle cops on the other side of said object who write tickets for going over the line to get a better view. Its quite a racket they have going on

RE: Another new car.... - sassparilla_kid - 04-07-2013

Found a bunch of oil in the vacuum line going from the vacuum pump to the intake manifold, which would explain the smoking and oil consumption, so I may be able to get by without replacing rings for a little while longer

RE: Another new car.... - sassparilla_kid - 04-09-2013

Car is at the body shop!!!

RE: Another new car.... - sassparilla_kid - 05-28-2013

The car is fixed and painted, vacuum pump rebuilt, and overall pretty sweet. I'll post pictures when I'm on my computer again

RE: Another new car.... - Euroamg - 06-03-2013

Good news!! Smile It should be like new again.

RE: Another new car.... - sassparilla_kid - 10-02-2013

I just realized I never posted a picture of the car. And this thing is starting to irritate me with all of its oil leaks

RE: Another new car.... - Simpler=Better - 10-02-2013

(10-02-2013, 09:54 AM)sassparilla_kid I just realized I never posted a picture of the car. And this thing is starting to irritate me with all of its oil leaks

I'm going to start an old merc rescue program for you kids. When you get sick of them send em' my way and I'll store them without bitching over oil leaks Tongue

RE: Another new car.... - sassparilla_kid - 10-02-2013

(10-02-2013, 10:35 AM)Simpler=Better
(10-02-2013, 09:54 AM)sassparilla_kid I just realized I never posted a picture of the car. And this thing is starting to irritate me with all of its oil leaks

I'm going to start an old merc rescue program for you kids. When you get sick of them send em' my way and I'll store them without bitching over oil leaks Tongue

Well, it left a puddle after I moved it to a different spot in the yard. And as for the rescue part, I'm planning an engine rebuild in about two months (after I save up enough for all the stuff) and also hopefully gonna add turbo power at the same time

RE: Another new car.... - sassparilla_kid - 03-09-2014

Hell yes, finally fixed the gigantic oil leak after not driving this thing for like five months

http://instagram.com/p/a609g9RMka/

I want to turbo this thing so badly, I mean I've got a couple sets of turbo manifolds laying around. Maybe in the summer, if I've got my truck up and running by then

RE: Another new car.... - sassparilla_kid - 03-13-2014

Alright couldn't handle only having one partially functioning speaker, so it now has four functioning speakers! Finally can listen to the radio at audible levels, but I think it needs a little more bass, the 4" speakers in front and 5-1/4" speakers in the back aren't quite cutting it

RE: Another new car.... - Simpler=Better - 03-13-2014

You need better 4"ers or a nice infinity 12" and a 300WRMS clarion amp. ~$200+wire+MDF for that setup, will scare bystanders.

RE: Another new car.... - sassparilla_kid - 03-14-2014

I'll get around to getting better stuff eventually, for now though I'm happy all the speakers work and I can hear the radio!

RE: Another new car.... - lgreeley83 - 03-14-2014

Isn't this custom install? Pics?

RE: Another new car.... - sassparilla_kid - 03-17-2014

I think the fronts were a dealer thing, the rears probably went in with the Alpine tape deck. I'll try to get some pictures eventually

The car is at my dad's house so I'll try to snap some next time I'm out that way