STD
WTB: 240D CV AXLE - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Other (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: FS / WTB / Buying guides (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: WTB: 240D CV AXLE (/showthread.php?tid=4055)

WTB: 240D CV AXLE - Purplecomputer - 11-03-2012

Hey guys.

On a tight budget so cant really afford to spend to much money.

Looking for both CV AXLES for my 79 240D. Hopefully someone has some old but NIB lying around or ones with super low miles.

I am not interested in CV AXLES that have seen a lot of punishment or have many miles on them.

RE: WTB: 240D CV AXLE - sassparilla_kid - 11-03-2012

Why not just change the boots on your axles? That's what I will be doing soon with the ones on my dad's car

RE: WTB: 240D CV AXLE - Purplecomputer - 11-03-2012

(11-03-2012, 02:53 PM)sassparilla_kid Why not just change the boots on your axles? That's what I will be doing soon with the ones on my dad's car

I would if the boots recently broke but I have been driving around for ~2000 miles with broken boots and no grease.

RE: WTB: 240D CV AXLE - sassparilla_kid - 11-03-2012

I think as long as they aren't making noise you should be fine

RE: WTB: 240D CV AXLE - Purplecomputer - 11-04-2012

(11-03-2012, 10:29 PM)sassparilla_kid I think as long as they aren't making noise you should be fine

i was told they need to be changed our every 100K miles, no?

RE: WTB: 240D CV AXLE - w123love - 11-04-2012

That is definitely true (100K) miles. No grease: no dice. Some mechanics have the ability to stretch the boots over the axles, but the tool is expensive so many mechanics just prefer to replace, instead of repair.

RE: WTB: 240D CV AXLE - Purplecomputer - 11-04-2012

(11-04-2012, 01:53 PM)w123love That is definitely true (100K) miles. No grease: no dice. Some mechanics have the ability to stretch the boots over the axles, but the tool is expensive so many mechanics just prefer to replace, instead of repair.

thanks for verifying, Im sure these axles are original to the car so they should have been changed at least twice so far.

RE: WTB: 240D CV AXLE - Austincarnut - 11-04-2012

What can you spend? I just got a good deal on a set of Empi axles w/ the updated joints for cheap, I had been driving on a really worn and repeatedly boogered up axles. I figured since I made it to 436k I might replace them. So far so good, handles better and no more weird driveline clunks in stop and go traffic. they are easy to install and very affordable. I know Empi was a quality VW parts supplier way back when but now it is a ching chong outlet source. other than the clamps not fitting tight on the axles, which was easily corrected, it seems to be a quality replacement and comes with the needed plus parts to convert the one piece axle to a 2 piece w/ bolt on flange, etc. let me know via pm and maybe I can help you out.

RE: WTB: 240D CV AXLE - sassparilla_kid - 11-04-2012

Don't order for partsgeek