STD
Fuel Vaporization - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Other (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Alt fuels (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Fuel Vaporization (/showthread.php?tid=3908)

Fuel Vaporization - Purplecomputer - 09-08-2012

So im not sure if y'all are familiar with this theory but apparently if gasoline is properly vaporized before it is used in the engine there are huge MPG gains.

I wonder if the same could be done to diesel.

If you dont know what im talking about, theres tons of info if you google "fuel vaporization"

I think it would be awesome (if possible) to develop a system for our mercedes and possibly other diesel engines so we can get high mpg and more power.

RE: Fuel Vaporization - aaa - 09-08-2012

It's called atomization on a diesel, and it's all about the injector design (and the prechamber design). So yeah, they already tried it.

RE: Fuel Vaporization - Purplecomputer - 09-08-2012

(09-08-2012, 06:23 PM)aaa It's called atomization on a diesel, and it's all about the injector design (and the prechamber design). So yeah, they already tried it.

but its still a liquid as it reaches the injectors, I was saying what if the fuel is a vapor as it reaches the injectors. Wouldnt that help at all?

also isnt the fuel is only a fine mist? Thats still a liquid.

RE: Fuel Vaporization - aaa - 09-09-2012

Diesel is not easy to vaporize, and you can't inject the vaporized stuff. That's why they let the vaporization happen in the cylinder as fast as possible by maximizing the surface area through atomization.

RE: Fuel Vaporization - led-panzer - 09-09-2012

This is one of those things that doesn't carry over from gassers to diesels. Gassers require a fuel-air mixture in the cylinder, and then the spark creates the explosion. In a diesel, the air in the cylinder is compressed without fuel, once it reaches near TDC, the fuel is injected into the super hot air, which causes the explosion.

In our engines the prechambers and injectors are responsible for atomizing the fuel. You can't get the fuel to the injector as a vapor. It's just not possible.

RE: Fuel Vaporization - Simpler=Better - 09-09-2012

(09-08-2012, 06:23 PM)aaa It's called atomization on a diesel, and it's all about the injector design (and the prechamber design). So yeah, they already tried it.

So bored out '85 prechambers and new nozzles Smile

RE: Fuel Vaporization - Purplecomputer - 09-09-2012

(09-09-2012, 09:24 AM)led-panzer This is one of those things that doesn't carry over from gassers to diesels. Gassers require a fuel-air mixture in the cylinder, and then the spark creates the explosion. In a diesel, the air in the cylinder is compressed without fuel, once it reaches near TDC, the fuel is injected into the super hot air, which causes the explosion.

In our engines the prechambers and injectors are responsible for atomizing the fuel. You can't get the fuel to the injector as a vapor. It's just not possible.

I see, what a shame we cant get more out of our fuel for these cars... or is there?

RE: Fuel Vaporization - led-panzer - 09-09-2012

Buy a tdi and get 50mpg. With a 27+ year old Mercedes diesel you're quite limited

(09-09-2012, 10:32 AM)led-panzer Buy a tdi and get 50mpg. With a 27+ year old Mercedes diesel you're quite limited

I know, But dont you ever feel theres something we could do?

I guess i just like to dream

RE: Fuel Vaporization - aaa - 09-09-2012

You can gut your interior to save weight.

(09-09-2012, 01:12 PM)aaa You can gut your interior to save weight.

Guess I could, I could also take out the engine and replace it with some horses.

RE: Fuel Vaporization - sassparilla_kid - 09-10-2012

Well, diesel is an oil, which is why it doesn't vaporize, and gasoline is a solvent, which is why it does, if that makes sense? Notice if you spill gasoline on something or get it on you, it evaporates super quick, and diesel just sort of stays there. Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's about how it works

RE: Fuel Vaporization - Simpler=Better - 09-10-2012

Going way off topic you can drop like 100lbs and keep it driveable just takes time. Fixed rear windows with plexiglass, gut the rear seats and replace them with foam pad from joann's, alloy wheels/trunk lid, smaller starter, swap in lighter front seats, lighter brakes....etc. etc.

RE: Fuel Vaporization - Purplecomputer - 09-10-2012

(09-10-2012, 01:28 AM)sassparilla_kid Well, diesel is an oil, which is why it doesn't vaporize, and gasoline is a solvent, which is why it does, if that makes sense? Notice if you spill gasoline on something or get it on you, it evaporates super quick, and diesel just sort of stays there. Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's about how it works

oh right...duh

RE: Fuel Vaporization - RustyLugNut - 09-14-2012

(09-10-2012, 12:27 PM)Purplecomputer
(09-10-2012, 01:28 AM)sassparilla_kid Well, diesel is an oil, which is why it doesn't vaporize, and gasoline is a solvent, which is why it does, if that makes sense? Notice if you spill gasoline on something or get it on you, it evaporates super quick, and diesel just sort of stays there. Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's about how it works

oh right...duh

Actually, everything has an evaporation temperature, it just depends on the temperature and pressure.

The compounds that make up gasoline evaporate at room temperatures and pressures. Diesel needs more heat to evaporate. In a diesel engine's combustion chamber, there is enough heat, but this heat is also above the ignition point of the fuel so it starts burning after the droplets are injected and have some time to evaporate and form a combustible mixture. If the droplet is too large, the middle never evaporates and forms a carbon blob (soot). The smaller the droplet, the less soot, and the more power per unit of fuel you can produce.