STD
LED headlights - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Body Mods (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: LED headlights (/showthread.php?tid=3713)

LED headlights - 83300d - 06-09-2012

While trying to decide which headlights to put into my 83 300d there were two contenders - HID and LED - and I decided to go with the HIDs. Had them installed for a few weeks and liked them.

Last night while driving to work I hit a deer - avoided 4 of the 5 crossing the road - and it took out the passenger side headlight assembly put a ding in the fender and kind of rolled back the hood of what was a very straight and clean car! Angry

So now im thinking I should order up a set of LEDs this round and try them out, but wonder if anyone has used them already and wanted to get some input.

Thanks and I look forward to your feedback.

RE: LED headlights - Purplecomputer - 06-09-2012

sorry to hear about the car, and the deer you killed (maybe its alive?)

as far as LED headlights, I had no idea LED's were able to be used at actual head lamps, Of course their total power ouput is far less and would put less of a strain on battery/alterenator and electrical junk they do produce considerable more heat then more other lamps

I would stick with HID, unless you can post some of the LED lamps you interested in looking for and we could all come upon a desicion based on our opinions.

welcome to the forum btw!

RE: LED headlights - Kozuka - 06-09-2012

HID's arn't that great with the fluted glass lenses. Would just stick with normal halogen. Unless you we're going to make some custom (plastic) lenses. Sorry you hit a deer, I would just focus on tracking down all the parts to fix the damage.

RE: LED headlights - sassparilla_kid - 06-09-2012

I hope the deer promptly found its way into the trunk and then into the freezer at home in the form of steaks

RE: LED headlights - Purplecomputer - 06-09-2012

(06-09-2012, 04:48 PM)Kozuka HID's arn't that great with the fluted glass lenses. Would just stick with normal halogen. Unless you we're going to make some custom (plastic) lenses. Sorry you hit a deer, I would just focus on tracking down all the parts to fix the damage.

I did notice I got better visibility with normal halogen bulbs when I switched over to my euro headlights then I did with HID's

RE: LED headlights - fha772 - 06-10-2012

I have tried both HID and LED headlights, my advice, stick with halogen bulbs.
The HID's don't like the fluted lenses, and LED's really aren't very good at all, the light just doesn't seem to go further than 10-15 feet!!

RE: LED headlights - Simpler=Better - 06-10-2012

I can make LEDs that actually work better than halogen bulbs-but they're gonna cost you (around $300-$400 per headlight). HIDs are currently more bang for the buck.

That being said, I run halogens on my cars (I'm a cheapass)

RE: LED headlights - dieselboy - 06-11-2012

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=truck+lite+led+headlight+7%22&nomo=1&hl=en&client=safari&output=html&cid=13422435738426554123

A lot of the trash trucks are running these now and govt/ military

RE: LED headlights - 83300d - 06-11-2012

Saw those while researching what to go with. Lots of good feedback on them.

RE: LED headlights - Captain America - 06-18-2012

(06-11-2012, 04:41 PM)dieselboy http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=truck+lite+led+headlight+7%22&nomo=1&hl=en&client=safari&output=html&cid=13422435738426554123

A lot of the trash trucks are running these now and govt/ military

Had some of those out of a military H1. They are 24v though. Sicknasty bright!

RE: LED headlights - sassparilla_kid - 06-18-2012

Hmm, transformer to convert 12v to 24v??

RE: LED headlights - Purplecomputer - 06-18-2012

(06-18-2012, 08:22 PM)sassparilla_kid Hmm, transformer to convert 12v to 24v??

amazon says they 12v though?

RE: LED headlights - sassparilla_kid - 06-18-2012

(06-18-2012, 08:42 PM)Purplecomputer
(06-18-2012, 08:22 PM)sassparilla_kid Hmm, transformer to convert 12v to 24v??

amazon says they 12v though?

Oh my bad, I forgot to insert a quote lol. I was responding to Captain America and his H1 Hummer lamps he was talking about

RE: LED headlights - Captain America - 06-19-2012

Yes, they were NOT, D.O.T. approved lamps. You can run a series parallel battery configuration I believe to make them work. They do that in the military Chevy 2500HD trucks

RE: LED headlights - Purplecomputer - 06-19-2012

(06-19-2012, 03:22 AM)Captain America Yes, they were NOT, D.O.T. approved lamps. You can run a series parallel battery configuration I believe to make them work. They do that in the military Chevy 2500HD trucks

Curious, very curios

RE: LED headlights - Simpler=Better - 06-19-2012

The DOT doesn't approve anything. They set standard are reference SAE stuff. The stamping on a lens that says "DOT ####" pr "SAE #####" simply means that it meets the requirements for output intensity/pattern. It's all online somewhere, I looked it up one day. True story :p

So you can run a "non-DOT" lamp, so long as the output is suitable by the standards. Of course, you've gotta prove it when they catch you....

RE: LED headlights - Kozuka - 06-20-2012

We rock the quad 65w HID's in s2k projectors bi-xenon with the cutoff flappers wide open, 6 lanes of pure blinding light as far as the eye can see. Not on an MB, I wish. Never gotten pulled over for them.