STD
Another 240D - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Other (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Projects (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Another 240D (/showthread.php?tid=3517)

Another 240D - sassparilla_kid - 04-08-2012

After 4 years I have finally convinced my dad he needed a diesel Benz, so earlier we went and got him one. Its an '83 240D, with a manual transmission and manual everything else as far as that matter goes (except for electric sunroof). Its silver with black interior, with some pretty boss spoke wheels (Mercedes wheels?, who can tell me about them?).

Now, aside from all of the regular maintenance stuff I plan on doing (oil/filters/flush coolant/etc.) because the car sat for 2 years, is there anything else I can do to maybe help with the sluggishness a little? Huh Also this car has some serious blowby, hopefully it goes away once the car starts getting driven, but it does have about 300k miles on it. (luckily the parts car in the back only has 170k Cool)

I also think it needs a new monovalve or something, how difficult of a job is this?

RE: Another 240D - aaa - 04-08-2012

240s don't have monovalves. The heater valve is cable driven and less likely to fail.

RE: Another 240D - larsalan - 04-08-2012

too slow? Maybe needs a short rear end. How fast do you want the top speed?

RE: Another 240D - w123love - 04-08-2012

Too slow? Hmmmm probably adding a cylinder I heard can help with that.

RE: Another 240D - Purplecomputer - 04-08-2012

well, youll need to get rid of those pinstripes and then the car will go faster.

When i first bought my 240D it was slow as fudge, You just need to drive her hard and get all that carbon build up removed, maybe a dieselpurge and I would change those injector nozzles. Huge difference for me when i changed them. Other then that there is not much you can do to a 240D to make it "fast" because it will never be fast.

I would slap a turbo on dat shit and join the turbo 240D club |:B

oh and how could i forget.. EURO EVERYTHING!!!\

and i must say black looks excellent in that car. I might, MIGHT do an interior swap.

RE: Another 240D - sassparilla_kid - 04-08-2012

Okay so drive it like its stolen for a while (HA!) and the heater must be another problem, got it.

If I ever get around to swapping manifolds on my car I'll have an extra set, to maybe modify for 240 turbo application....

RE: Another 240D - ronnie - 04-10-2012

for now check fuel pressure, and throttle linkages. Adjustments to the ip will help some too if you know how to do them. Then turbo, with more ip adjustments to make use of the turbo.

I put the fuel pump spring from a 617a into the 616 fuel pump, and reset the relief valve for 28psi fuel pressure. It will drop to about 25 at full throttle. Stock is about 10-12 psi, and is likely lower as the springs get weak.

RE: Another 240D - sassparilla_kid - 04-11-2012

I told my dad to drive it like he stole it, which as anyone who as ever driven a 240 knows you're still in danger of the guy you stole it from catching you on foot before you get away lol.

I plan on doing oil/filter change and coolant flush in a couple weeks, right now I have a lot of other stuff going on with school that takes precedent. After that stuff, valve adjustment and IP timing, and hopefully the extremely horrible blowby goes away by then. If not, then an engine swap from the low mileage parts car, and then I'll have fun with the extra engine on the stand and stuff lol
oh and throttle linkages are a good point, I'll check them next time I'm near the car

RE: Another 240D - George3soccer - 04-12-2012

Who cares about blow by its a diesel mod it.