STD
Question on underhood 300D N/A parts - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Other (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Open (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Question on underhood 300D N/A parts (/showthread.php?tid=3489)

Question on underhood 300D N/A parts - JustPassinThru - 03-31-2012

Looking at a n/a 1979 300D today (incidentally, if anyone wants its intake manifold, PM me with an offer. If it's worth my time, I'll pull it). I am wondering what these two parts are, which do not exist on my '85 300D turbo:

Thing on left wheelwell:

Thing on right wheelwell with lots of vacuum tubing coming out its rear:

From the right side:

RE: Question on underhood 300D N/A parts - w123love - 04-01-2012

First picture is a cruise control unit. The other picture is the A/C unit of death. It was a GM part, only on the 79’s. The are notorious for breaking and cost about $800 to fix. Just the worse thing ever put on a W123.

RE: Question on underhood 300D N/A parts - JustPassinThru - 04-01-2012

Aha, thanks. I *thought* that looked like a Frigidaire AC compressor. I wondered what it was doing on a Mercedes.

Um...*should* I have one of these cruise control units, on my '85??? Cruise control doesn't work; it gives jerkiness, + 5MPH, down 10, repeat. I figured, one of these days I'll open up the amplifier and see what's fried. But is it possible that I am *missing* something this large?

RE: Question on underhood 300D N/A parts - sassparilla_kid - 04-01-2012

I thought that thing on the driver side wheel well was for adjusting the idle for warming up the car and stuff??

(04-01-2012, 01:15 AM)sassparilla_kid I thought that thing on the driver side wheel well was for adjusting the idle for warming up the car and stuff??

No its not. There is a manual adjustment in the car that is a screw type switch to help you with warm idle. It is really nice for starting.

Just passin: You may want to do some research on the cruise control. The one on your 85 is a different system. That one may/may not be a plug n play system for you. My 81 has that cruise control set up, and it works when it feels like it. I’m not sure if is it an upgrade, or a more bulletproof than the system you have now. I know my sister’s 84 has the newer system, and it works great. (when it feels like it Blush)

(04-01-2012, 11:59 AM)w123love ...You may want to do some research on the cruise control...

Yep, thanks. I've collected every article I can find, plus 2 or 3 spare cruise amplifiers. It's somewhere down around #14 on my list of priorities. Getting my veggie oil refinery and fuel system tank+heaters working is #1. Getting my higher-capacity fuel pump in is #2. Soundproofing the interior is #3. Installing manual climate control is #4 et cetera et cetera.

Yeah I feel you. Cruise control is really a luxury. Unless you are making long drives, it doesn’t matter. Luckily the car I drive from CA to TX a couple times a year does have a functioning one.

RE: Question on underhood 300D N/A parts - sassparilla_kid - 04-01-2012

It would have been nice on the 350 mile trip I took yesterday, along with some Rain-X

Rain-X is indispensable up here. We're not gonna get much dryness til Wednesday (about 88 hours from now).