STD
Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Other (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Open (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual (/showthread.php?tid=3386)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - sassparilla_kid - 09-28-2013

I thought it was like 40psi or something crazy

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - JB3 - 09-29-2013

I enjoyed that video quite a bit. Big Grin

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - Simpler=Better - 09-29-2013

Rumor is 2bar to bend 617 rods

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - lgreeley83 - 09-29-2013

(09-29-2013, 08:28 PM)Simpler=Better Rumor is 2bar to bend 617 rods

Hmmm... i think i remember you sayin that. Now i need 1.9999 bar

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - Simpler=Better - 09-29-2013

(09-29-2013, 08:47 PM)lgreeley83

I've never tested it, didn't have enough fuel to need to go over 18psi though. That's why it's just a rumor.

You should document the bending process though, or prove us all wrong Big Grin

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - lgreeley83 - 09-29-2013

(09-29-2013, 10:17 PM)Simpler=Better
(09-29-2013, 08:47 PM)lgreeley83

I've never tested it, didn't have enough fuel to need to go over 18psi though. That's why it's just a rumor.

Lol my wife does not approve of this process.

damn just studying my video my clutch was sucking soooo bad. That was a bad run. Don't let this be the image of my car. I was revving like crazy.

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - Simpler=Better - 09-30-2013

(09-29-2013, 11:13 PM)lgreeley83
(09-29-2013, 10:17 PM)Simpler=Better
(09-29-2013, 08:47 PM)lgreeley83 Hmmm... i think i remember you sayin that. Now i need 1.9999 bar

Lol my wife does not approve of this process.

damn just studying my video my clutch was sucking soooo bad. That was a bad run. Don't let this be the image of my car. I was revving like crazy.
You were still MUCH faster than my auto 300d with a VNT, no alda, and methanol sprayers.

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - lgreeley83 - 01-22-2014

OK thinking intercoolers... A/A. Never gone done this road before. Any jargon I should know? I really don't know much about what makes a good intercooler. I know the desired outcome.

Any tips so I don't make obvious newbie mistakes in selection?

And for now I will likely go electric fan to allow for pipe routing. Go under the number and up a little. I'd go behind the grill but don't want to swap radiators just yet.

*Under the bumper*

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - Austincarnut - 01-22-2014

http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced%20Engine%20Tuning/Intercooler%20Sprayers.html

(01-22-2014, 06:41 PM)lgreeley83 OK thinking intercoolers... A/A. Never gone done this road before. Any jargon I should know? I really don't know much about what makes a good intercooler. I know the desired outcome.

Any tips so I don't make obvious newbie mistakes in selection?

And for now I will likely go electric fan to allow for pipe routing. Go under the number and up a little. I'd go behind the grill but don't want to swap radiators just yet.

*Under the bumper*

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - lgreeley83 - 01-22-2014

I liked that idea about the wiper fluid. Sprayers would be too easy. I wonder why not everybody does it?

Yeah sprayer are in the plans for the setup ;-)

That guy is missing something though isn't he? He mentiones size but there is a specific internal design that is desirable isn't there? I read once about a style to avoid. Forget where I was looking though.

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - MFSuper90 - 01-26-2014

Your clutch was hating its life in that video lol.
I had my old Garrett charger at 30psi and I have no bent rods...

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - lgreeley83 - 01-26-2014

Lol my 2nd gear pull was soooo weak. Couldn't get that clutch to grip worth anything. I've got to do something there.

I did reading on intercoolers. Bar plate? Sounds easy enough . I'm thinking fit it at the bottom of my bull bar. Gives me about 20" x 9" x 3"

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - lgreeley83 - 01-30-2014

Well I'm just sucking today.
Guess I need a master cylinder for this. Pedal to the floor fluid full.

I've never done a master cylinder. Should it have died like that? One day fine next day no brakes at all?

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - lgreeley83 - 01-30-2014

Oops never mind I'm a douche. I opened and looked in back reservoir is empty. That thing is deceivingly.

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - MFSuper90 - 01-31-2014

The brake reservoirs are very decieving actually. Happens to me everyone in awhile

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - Simpler=Better - 01-31-2014

(01-30-2014, 06:29 PM)lgreeley83 Oops never mind I'm a douche. I opened and looked in back reservoir is empty. That thing is deceivingly.

That still means there is a leak though!

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - lgreeley83 - 01-31-2014

Yeah. And maybe my piston siezed. I dunno. I would have thought the pedal would have firmed up but no. I didn't bleed it at all though, too dark.

When I filled it and pumped level didn't change.

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - lgreeley83 - 02-08-2014

OK I can't win. 3 cars and they are all not worthy of putting my kids in. .... I will rant first than actual questions near the end....its about my blower circuit.

So this here car. Got all the glow plugs glowing. It starts in the cold, win. I took it to a shop to get the support bearing for drive shaft fixed, long over due. They fix it great but now that I actually have a bearing I can tell that the guy who did the 4,speed swap prior to me did not balance the shaft. Either that or the shop didn't put it back together right. I like the manager and we talked about lining shit up. I believe he knew what he was doing. But I get some vibration at 40+ haven't taken on the highway so can't fully describe yet. Probably need to take that out and get it balanced, maybe custom shaft?

Any who all that.

My heat blower motor has no power to it. The fuse is good. #8 when I play with the fuse I can hear clicking like a relay might be attempting stuff. I put power to fan and it goes. Also blows heat. Is that clicking the monovalve?

Is there a relay aside from the resistor thing u dear hood on the fender?

By the way. I'm am tired of winter. None of.my cars were breaking when it was warm.

And ya know, now that I've been here a while I feel sorta bad about asking questions about general maintenance so I will say sorry for that. But its cold and all my cars are giving me headaches. I've googled this shit and everyone talks about fuse 8 or motor brushes. Both are good. Wtf.

Oh and dammit I'm on my.second climate control unit could it be that again?! I need a simple fix fuuuuuuu

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - DeliveryValve - 02-09-2014

Simple stuff?... Check the cold engine blower motor lock temperature sensor located on the thermostat housing. If it is unplugged, your blower motor will not work. If plugged, then unplug it and ground the wiring to the block. Hopefully your blower will run.

If that is not the case, than look into a faulty resistor pack or another dead CCU.

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - JB3 - 02-11-2014

start looking for a 240D with manual climate control in the yards. I hate that box of bullshit (CCU) on the wifes car as well. Every other week its got some annoying problem.

latest is no heat above 60mph.

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - lgreeley83 - 02-11-2014

I was playing with that thing on the thermostat housing and I heard a clicking, for now I just have power straight to the fan.

I will likely get rid of the ccu like simple did or something similar. Maybe a switch for the monovalve and a switch to the blower motor. I got the ac going last summer but i think the compressor may have crapped out. Im just going for heat now :-)

Someday maybe a manual setup.

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - Simpler=Better - 02-11-2014

I ran a caveman HVAC system in my w123 in it's final days. Switch for the blower, and bypassed the monovalve with a piece of pipe. The vents were zip tied open and the outlets were used to regulate flow. Stuffed the under seat vents with paper towels. It burned up the "20A" switch pretty quick so use a relay

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - DeliveryValve - 02-12-2014

(02-11-2014, 10:26 AM)JB3 ...
latest is no heat above 60mph.

Classic Monovalve issue.

(02-11-2014, 10:31 AM)lgreeley83 ....
Someday maybe a manual setup.

There is a nice 240 at the yard right now... Can hook ya up!

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - Simpler=Better - 02-12-2014

*cough*cough* manual control set *cough*

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/Thread-Selling-everything

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - lgreeley83 - 02-12-2014

I should probably kick myself for not immediately saying yes. I'll ask offline what you would say cost is....I know that is a beast of a job. Lol my first couple weeks on peach parts I think someone cussed me out for asking to buy an HVAC part. I'm like "yo chill slut I just wanted the bezel"

Anyhow I know that's an ugly task....interested but wouldn't wish it on on enemy. I will tale manual window cranks for sure though if you see those. I already have the proper door panels just need all the conversion hardware.

*take* not tale

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - JustPassinThru - 02-12-2014

(02-12-2014, 01:13 PM)lgreeley83 I should probably kick myself for not immediately saying yes. I'll ask offline what you would say cost is....I know that is a beast of a job. Lol my first couple weeks on peach parts I think someone cussed me out for asking to buy an HVAC part. I'm like "yo chill slut I just wanted the bezel"

Anyhow I know that's an ugly task....interested but wouldn't wish it on on enemy. I will tale manual window cranks for sure though if you see those. I already have the proper door panels just need all the conversion hardware.

*take* not tale

I've got four doors which have manual window cranks, the vinyl on the handles is palomino and one crank handle is missing the vinyl cover. What's it worth to ya, for me to pull 'em and ship 'em?

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - lgreeley83 - 02-13-2014

#caveman lol

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - lgreeley83 - 02-26-2014

Man i gotta catch up part of this typing is to remind myself

-Need to buy flexible section off turbo, also bracket that holds to manifold.
-Need to buy 240d auto trans mount (what i need for my 4 speed right?) the PO fabbed up a goofy mount. I am trying to get the shakes rattles and general noise that shouldn't be there gone. I feel my shifter move a little when i gas or let off.
-4 manual window cranks regulators and handles. (justpassinthrough i read about 15 each in a junkyard?)

Need to fix rusty floors still
Need tie rod and alignment
Need to swap on 126 calipers and rotors
Need to fix leaky exhaust
Need to get rid of hammer time noises (proper trans mount, maybe balancing drive shaft)
Need heat
Need to fix tach and gauge lights
Need emergency break
Need to install shutoff valve in key tumbler

Want intercooler
Want body work

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - JustPassinThru - 02-26-2014

(02-26-2014, 09:12 PM)lgreeley83 Man i gotta catch up part of this typing is to remind myself
-4 manual window cranks regulators and handles. (justpassinthrough i read about 15 each in a junkyard?)

On second thought...I think $60 is how much Greazzer sold a set of four for, a couple years ago. But I think I'll see first if I can sell the doors as they are, on local CL. These doors are in really nice shape --paint and interior vinyl are immaculate, even the armrests and door pockets. The door-closers are nearly new, front door mirrors are choice. It would be a shame to break them up for junkyard value.

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - lgreeley83 - 02-26-2014

No rush

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - JB3 - 02-28-2014

You need to put some moving blankets over the rust holes. In addition to the cold, the noise of it really wears on the driver. I put something like 10k on a 240 with no passenger floor in it, making 300+ mile runs at a time, and the drone would continue in my dreams and into the next morning as background noise.

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - JB3 - 03-17-2014

Related to your manual steering swap, remember how we both incorrectly clocked the steering wheel? mine was out nearly 90 degrees

Just had an alignment done and they were able to straighten the steering wheel amazingly. I didn't even have to admit it was my fault either, good stuff.

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - lgreeley83 - 05-01-2015

Long time no see. Still alive and well. Done some small stuff. Drive shaft u joint was toast. Replacement long piece went in. I didn't balance but my rattle is gone. My car is apart now in prep to put an HX30. I am trying to reclock the exhaust side of the turbo but it's stuck right now. Have 4an line for that.

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - MFSuper90 - 05-01-2015

I had to heat my hx30 Housing with a torch to get it to reclock

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - lgreeley83 - 05-01-2015

Is there a positioning notch? I was trying to hammer it off, pb blaster, torch. Didn't budge. I'm going to try table vise and belt cheater bar or something. I don't Know.

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - lgreeley83 - 05-28-2015

Well I did get the turbo clocked a few weeks back. Ended up using a pocket knife and hammer to wedge it apart. Intercooler came in the mail today. Now waiting for pipes and couplers.

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - lgreeley83 - 06-15-2015

Shit video 1982 Mercedes 300d: https://youtu.be/qBYlUoD4Bwk

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - lgreeley83 - 06-15-2015

done some work lately. Finished HX30 install. Front mount intercooler installed. New drive shaft. Crappy video above is of the sweet sounds brought to you by Holset ;-)

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - led-panzer - 06-15-2015

Looks great man! You should have significantly more power now.

Do you have plans for the clutch?

Eventually, ill have to do the research and get the clutch chosen. Did you get yours in yet? My car is still driveable as is with current clutch so it will probably be on the back burner for a bit. Trying to buy a house right now. Wife will kill me if I spend any more ;-)

Car is definitely a lot better with the intercooler. EGT doesn't get much over 1000 at extended full throttle, 25 psi boost. Before I couldn't go much more than 10 secs before getting up to the 1250 range. Boost comes in pretty quick too. No complaints with the HX30 yet. I've only got a few drives with it. I will need to tune a little and see if I even need that much boost.

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - MFSuper90 - 06-15-2015

(06-15-2015, 09:16 AM)lgreeley83 Eventually, ill have to do the research and get the clutch chosen. Did you get yours in yet?  My car is still driveable as is with current clutch so it will probably be on the back burner for a bit. Trying to buy a house right now. Wife will kill me if I spend any more ;-)

Car is definitely a lot better with the intercooler.  EGT doesn't get much over 1000 at extended full throttle, 25 psi boost. Before I couldn't go much more than 10 secs before getting up to the 1250 range. Boost comes in pretty quick too. No complaints with the HX30 yet. I've only got a few drives with it. I will need to tune a little and see if I even need that much boost.

Stock modded pump, and my a/w and I have seen 1300 on real hard pull up a steep hill. That's at 18psi, sometime in the future is like to see how more boost effects egts. But I don't really think my a\w is as efficient as a good a/a setup. Mainly because of the lack of Surface area.

But my holset swap was worth it in my opinion for the sound. Man, it sings well Big Grin

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - Simpler=Better - 06-16-2015

(02-13-2014, 01:10 PM)lgreeley83 #caveman lol

The HVAC of a man who has both given up, and found zen, all at once.

(Don't feel bad my DD has a similar setup for now)

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - lgreeley83 - 06-16-2015

(06-16-2015, 12:51 PM)Simpler=Better
(02-13-2014, 01:10 PM)lgreeley83 #caveman lol

The HVAC of a man who has both given up, and found zen, all at once.

(Don't feel bad my DD has a similar setup for now)

I burned up the motor doing that ;-) greazzer is hooking me up with another one.

I haven't looked at wiring diagrams yet but I should do something other than straight 12volt from the battery right? How'd you do yours simple? I'm removing the hvac control unit amd don't want to fry another one.

Im really getting the car to full simple status. Thinking of removing stock wiring harness all together to do it my way.

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - Simpler=Better - 06-16-2015

I did mine straight like yours, but the switch's shitty resistance slowed it down. Still burned it up though.

Unless you have a manual climate control ready to go leave the harness. Or just run a hi/low switch to the factory resistor block.

RE: Another car, chicago, uhhh 300d turbo w/4 speed manual - Greazzer - 06-17-2015

You should have the blower motor either Saturday or Monday ...