STD
What is the hose next to the engine fill Cap? - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: What is the hose next to the engine fill Cap? (/showthread.php?tid=3318)

What is the hose next to the engine fill Cap? - W116Lorinser - 02-02-2012

what is the hose that is next to the oil fill cap on the top of the valve cover that connects to the intake tubbing.

is that a crankcase breather? can i put a crankcase breather filter there instead?

thanks

RE: What is the hose next to the engine fill Cap? - Simpler=Better - 02-03-2012

You can get some heater hose and run a road draft tube if you really want to. The stock setup is pretty sweet, be careful that you don't do anything to restrict the ccv. When I ran a draft tube there was a noticeable amount of airflow.

RE: What is the hose next to the engine fill Cap? - W116Lorinser - 02-17-2012

(02-03-2012, 08:41 AM)Simpler=Better You can get some heater hose and run a road draft tube if you really want to. The stock setup is pretty sweet, be careful that you don't do anything to restrict the ccv. When I ran a draft tube there was a noticeable amount of airflow.

so does that mean i can just add a crankcase breather filter to the top of the valve cover.

i did a cold air intake system for my turbocharger.

RE: What is the hose next to the engine fill Cap? - MB TECH - 02-17-2012

I tried a filter there once and all it did was seep oil, draft tube or a separator works the best. I am using the oil separator from
an OM642 diesel engine now and its working good so far.

RE: What is the hose next to the engine fill Cap? - willbhere4u - 02-17-2012

I ran a hose from the valve cover to to the hose between the air filter and the turbo it's how the Earlie cars came stock 79=80 300sd turbo

RE: What is the hose next to the engine fill Cap? - sassparilla_kid - 02-18-2012

You just run it through the turbo? I guess it would keep things nice and oiled up lol

RE: What is the hose next to the engine fill Cap? - E300TSC - 02-18-2012

Yes, run it through the turbo. That's how both my E300 and the Ford diesel have it run from the factory.

RE: What is the hose next to the engine fill Cap? - sassparilla_kid - 02-18-2012

Depending on blow-by, won't runing it through the turbo cause it to be smokey?

RE: What is the hose next to the engine fill Cap? - E300TSC - 02-18-2012

The oil is a fine mist and it's pretty much completely consumed in the combustion process. If you're using a quart every 500 miles, there might be some smoke.

RE: What is the hose next to the engine fill Cap? - sassparilla_kid - 02-19-2012

I'll have to think about re-routing it then, the blow-by is so minimal that I routed it below the car instead of going this route in the first place

RE: What is the hose next to the engine fill Cap? - Captain America - 02-20-2012

Running it through the intake gets everything all oily and gummy. Fak that shit. Road draft tube FTW

RE: What is the hose next to the engine fill Cap? - sassparilla_kid - 02-20-2012

Yeah mine seems to be workin pretty good for now

RE: What is the hose next to the engine fill Cap? - poleshady - 07-14-2013

On my turbo engine, there is an oil return that goes into the pan, next to the oil return for the turbo. My N/A engine doesnt have it though. Does anyone else have that? Could i plug it and have a draft tube, or what about running the CCV directly to that return?

RE: What is the hose next to the engine fill Cap? - tjts1 - 07-14-2013

I have a draft hose on the OM603 and initially it ended right below the driver's seat and I could smell it at stop lights with window down. I extended it to the rear tire and much better this way. As previously mentioned, make sure it doesn't get pinched anywhere. there is a lot of flow through it especially under load. Also tends to drip some oil when parked.

RE: What is the hose next to the engine fill Cap? - mxfrank - 07-14-2013

This is an incredibly anti-social thing to do. Crankcase blowby accounts for about 25% of the pollution generated by an engine, returning it to the intake has a major impact on hydrocarbon output, and has next to no performance impact. It pretty much has to be injected in front of the turbo, because there's high pressure behind the turbo.

There is an oil separator built into the valve cover of OM60X engines. it's not 100% effective, but it's not bad either. A breather would spread residual oil around the top of the cover. A draft tube would spray it on the road, thanks a lot. An external vapor separator may recover some liquid oil, but will do nothing about the CO and unburned HC gasses in the blowby mix. What might be a compromise is to add a vapor separator, but feed the dry gasses back into the turbo input.

RE: What is the hose next to the engine fill Cap? - willbhere4u - 07-15-2013

Actually having it in front of the turbo is a good thing because the turbo pulls the vapor in and reduced cranking losses. plus it just oil. oil vapor in the engine should theoretically increase power just slightly

anti social? like not logging on to face book? you mean not environmentally friendly maybe

on here with all of the super pumps and high performance diesel modifications world I bet it would be socially accepted

RE: What is the hose next to the engine fill Cap? - Simpler=Better - 07-15-2013

Nothing wrong with reducing emissions, especially if it doesn't negatively impact the performance. The one big side effect of a draft tube is that your car's underbody gets coated in oil eventually. For us northerners this is seen as rust prevention, you southerners might view it a little differently.

I do remember it drafting up from under the hood at stop lights, I got a lot of funny looks with the smoking car Smile

RE: What is the hose next to the engine fill Cap? - willbhere4u - 07-16-2013

usually you want the crank case under a slight vacuum which is why I've always had it routed in to the intake before the turbo after the filter
I figure if air is being sucked into the engine crank case oil is less likely to leak out past the seals