STD
Any thoughts on the eBay Euro lights? - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Other (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Open (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Any thoughts on the eBay Euro lights? (/showthread.php?tid=3248)

Any thoughts on the eBay Euro lights? - Purplecomputer - 01-08-2012

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-BENZ-W123-EURO-SPEC-HEADLIGHTS-CORNER-LIGHTS-/140675602493?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item20c0eb583d#ht_4668wt_1163

I know eBay stuff is not the best quality but I wanted to know if anyone bought a pair of these and your thoughts on them?

I guess i wanted to know if they sit flush and if they are pretty solid, also are the covers made of glass or plastic?

let me know before I end up just wasting my money!

RE: Any thoughts on the eBay Euro lights? - serverman777 - 01-09-2012

Seem like a cheep price

RE: Any thoughts on the eBay Euro lights? - JustPassinThru - 01-09-2012

Dunno if those are Depo or not; the replica Euro headlamps from Depo have a good reputation. I have just the clear corners from Depo, which I bought second-hand from mike-81-240d, and they're all right as far as fit and function (though, having tried them, I personally prefer the stock amber corners).

The eBay ad says the main headlamp covers are glass.

RE: Any thoughts on the eBay Euro lights? - Purplecomputer - 01-09-2012

(01-09-2012, 12:15 AM)JustPassinThru Dunno if those are Depo or not; the replica Euro headlamps from Depo have a good reputation. I have just the clear corners from Depo, which I bought second-hand from mike-81-240d, and they're all right as far as fit and function (though, having tried them, I personally prefer the stock amber corners).

The eBay ad says the main headlamp covers are glass.

Hmm didnt see that they mentioned that in the ad.

I guess what im asking is, would you guys buy replicas?

I wouldn't buy a replica Euro headlamp, even Depo, but that's only because I prefer the US headlamps using a yellow foglamp and with the main (sealed-beam) headlamp replaced with a good Cibie, Bosch, or Hella H4, as described in post #11 of my thread

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/showthread.php?tid=2790

But the opinions of others may very well differ. Lots of people prefer the Euro look.

RE: Any thoughts on the eBay Euro lights? - sassparilla_kid - 01-09-2012

Yeah I put H4's on my rig and they are killer, now I just need to find some slightly higher wattage bulbs and they will be, as Jimmy JJ Walker used to say, "DY-NO-MITE!!!" lol

I've tried putting (highly illegal) Hella 130/90's in the Bosch H4's (using an individual relay for each filament, and wired directly to the alternator) and, ...heh...great Caesar's ghost...on high beam there isn't any "pattern," just a solid wall of white light as far down the road as objects exist. They are brighter than any HID's I've seen. Someone on another forum with these said it looks like a 747 coming in for a landing. That is not much of an exaggeration. Actually, it's pretty close to the truth. Maybe the Hella 100/80's wouldn't get you busted.

I hate the way they designed the four headlights, I like round headlight but on this car I prefer the square euros.

RE: Any thoughts on the eBay Euro lights? - Captain America - 01-09-2012

(01-09-2012, 01:48 AM)JustPassinThru I've tried putting (highly illegal) Hella 130/90's in the Bosch H4's (using an individual relay for each filament, and wired directly to the alternator) and, ...heh...great Caesar's ghost...on high beam there isn't any "pattern," just a solid wall of white light as far down the road as objects exist. They are brighter than any HID's I've seen. Someone on another forum with these said it looks like a 747 coming in for a landing. That is not much of an exaggeration. Actually, it's pretty close to the truth. Maybe the Hella 100/80's wouldn't get you busted.

I have those bulbs in my Delta H4 housings in my El Camino. Love them!

I loved 'em too. But, seeing as how I have three deputy county sheriffs all living within a quarter mile of me, I don't dare keep 'em.

(01-09-2012, 02:00 AM)Purplecomputer I hate the way they designed the four headlights, I like round headlight but on this car I prefer the square euros.

Well, in my view the main issue would be, are these no-brand-name eBay Euro replica headlamps' reflectors heat-proof enough that you could safely run a higher-wattage H4 bulb in them. The Depo's are said to be heat-proof enough, but I don't know for sure, having never owned them. I just don't know about these no-names. Since the ad explicitly states "no returns," I think you would be wise to pass.
However, looking closely at the ad, it does say they are Depo. So, ought to be safe.

This seller has a 7 days money-back return policy. Just be very careful to keep them clean enough that it doesn't look like they've been installed:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-E-CLASS-W123-1976-77-78-79-80-81-82-83-84-OEM-HEADLIGHTS-NEW-SET-DEPO-/380400065467?hash=item58919c5bbb&item=380400065467&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

RE: Any thoughts on the eBay Euro lights? - JB3 - 01-09-2012

(01-09-2012, 02:00 AM)Purplecomputer I hate the way they designed the four headlights, I like round headlight but on this car I prefer the square euros.

I like the euros better as well. Also, they are way easier to scrape ice off of.

Early euros are the best!

(01-09-2012, 05:52 AM)dropnosky ...I like the euros better as well. Also, they are way easier to scrape ice off of.

Tongue I hadn't thought of that!

Roundies are cheaper to replace if a rock hits it though.

RE: Any thoughts on the eBay Euro lights? - sassparilla_kid - 01-09-2012

Early euros are pretty bitchin', I dig round more than square, more classic and classy looking IMHO

(01-09-2012, 05:52 AM)dropnosky ...they are way easier to scrape ice off of.

I just remembered, these Bosch H4's have a flat face, not convex.

RE: Any thoughts on the eBay Euro lights? - willbhere4u - 01-09-2012

I've got them on my 240d as pictured in my avatar

They look and fit like an original. They are glass just like the original
I bet you could switch the glass between them.

you will also need the euro headlight plug to make them work. the plug is shaped different but the pins are the same inside of the plug so you just open it up and switch them around and plug it back in!

I bought the plugs and a diagram off eBay for $9 literally plug and play no soldering

(01-09-2012, 04:00 PM)willbhere4u I've got them on my 240d as pictured in my avatar

They look and fit like an original. They are glass just like the original
I bet you could switch the glass between them.

you will also need the euro headlight plug to make them work. the plug is shaped different but the pins are the same inside of the plug so you just open it up and switch them around and plug it back in!

I bought the plugs and a diagram off eBay for $9 literally plug and play no soldering

I remember you said somewhere in another thread you had them, Good to know they are of decent quality. Would you mind posting that diagram or directing me to the link you bought it from?

I may end up buying the lights tonight. Oh and did they come with bulbs?

RE: Any thoughts on the eBay Euro lights? - willbhere4u - 01-09-2012

I cant remember if they cam with bulbs? I'll look and see if I have the diagram still

here's the link it come with to extra wires so you can hook up park light in the headlights

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-EURO-HEADLIGHT-WIRING-PLUG-W123-126-W126-W201-/300631009948?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item45ff012a9c

For The Win ...

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5209]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5208]

RE: Any thoughts on the eBay Euro lights? - iheartboost - 01-10-2012

i plan to get my euro lights from ebay. i dont care who makes em lol. as long as they light and look good.

RE: Any thoughts on the eBay Euro lights? - willbhere4u - 01-10-2012

Good find! those are super rare

RE: Any thoughts on the eBay Euro lights? - JB3 - 01-10-2012

(01-09-2012, 04:00 PM)willbhere4u you will also need the euro headlight plug to make them work. the plug is shaped different but the pins are the same inside of the plug so you just open it up and switch them around and plug it back in!

FYI the US spec brake light plugs are the same as the euro spec headlight plugs. You can grab some plugs off brake lights on a car in a junkyard, and put the wires inside, and they will fit the euro lights. This is what I did

RE: Any thoughts on the eBay Euro lights? - Purplecomputer - 01-10-2012

(01-10-2012, 11:12 AM)dropnosky
(01-09-2012, 04:00 PM)willbhere4u you will also need the euro headlight plug to make them work. the plug is shaped different but the pins are the same inside of the plug so you just open it up and switch them around and plug it back in!

FYI the US spec brake light plugs are the same as the euro spec headlight plugs. You can grab some plugs off brake lights on a car in a junkyard, and put the wires inside, and they will fit the euro lights. This is what I did

Good idea, The only thing is i dont have any junkyard in the area where I can just go in and pull off what i need. I will still try at the local on anyway

RE: Any thoughts on the eBay Euro lights? - Captain America - 01-11-2012

That is great to know Drop! I have three doner cars. Sweet!