STD
Volunteer work in your younger years? - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Other (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Open (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Volunteer work in your younger years? (/showthread.php?tid=3241)

Volunteer work in your younger years? - Jtn190D - 01-07-2012

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you had done any volunteer or service work in your younger years and if so what was it, and how did you enjoy it?

RE: Volunteer work in your younger years? - vstef_is - 01-07-2012

I'm not sure if it's relevant (being across the pond) but I do think the overall positiveness of the idea is the same.

I did volunteer and non volunteer work for a non-profit organization helping folks who have AIDS, including preventing vertical transmission (from mother to new born), local lobby, medication, etc.

I was the IT guy, and provided all the tech support.

For 2012 I will join another non-profit organization (in a different town, since I've moved) which helps kids with autism.

All I can say is that it's nice to help, definitely worth it!

RE: Volunteer work in your younger years? - garage - 01-07-2012

Well i usually pick up alot of trash in campgrounds, parks, and wilderness areas.
I guess thats volunteer work. haha, I just do it on my own, but i enjoy it.
Damn litter bugs everywhere.

RE: Volunteer work in your younger years? - yankneck696 - 01-07-2012

Vstef.... Excellent. I was on the other end. Helped raise money for a camp for children with AIDS. The camp was on Martha's Vineyard. Also set up constant toy donations from Toys R Us (still going after 12 years) & computer & internet service donations for the kids.
EXTREMELY SATISFYING !!!!!
If we could sit for a few hours so that I could tell the stories, you would jump right in & go for it.

Ed

RE: Volunteer work in your younger years? - Captain America - 01-07-2012

(01-07-2012, 01:27 PM)garage Well i usually pick up alot of trash in campgrounds, parks, and wilderness areas.
I guess thats volunteer work. haha, I just do it on my own, but i enjoy it.
Damn litter bugs everywhere.

Angry HATE Angry When ppl litter!

RE: Volunteer work in your younger years? - sassparilla_kid - 01-08-2012

Im an eagle scout so I have done all sorts of volunteer work, from helping people carry plants to their car at the annual plant sale the local senior center has to collecting waste electronics for recycling to working in soup kitchens etc. etc.

RE: Volunteer work in your younger years? - JB3 - 01-08-2012

Digging foundations and cleaning up residences for habitat for humanity. Haven't done that in years though.

RE: Volunteer work in your younger years? - Jtn190D - 01-08-2012

Very interesting. I'm debating what I should do and the options are endless. But keep them coming everyone, I love to hear about this kinda stuff!

Some of my friends' eagle scout project include: organise a giant e-recycle and collected two semi trucks full of electronics in one weekend, one painted all the hand rails and cleaned up a police rifle/pistol range, collect books and shelving units to make a small library for a rescue mission, build a disc golf course near a local lake, clean and paint an underpass (walking type), make an excercise course with different excersize stations placed around a local high school, organise aphabetise and catalog probably a thousand books a museum had in storage so they could have a library, build planter boxes for a church garden, and for mine I built a pinewood derby track and donated it to an organisation that runs headstart programs and offers services to other non-profit groups such as boys'/girls' clubs schools churches etc.

I also have a friend who used to volunteer at a children's hospital and another that organises and help out with games and stuff for kids at his church.

There is plenty of volunteer stuff to do out there all you gotta do is pick something that sounds good and go for it!!!

RE: Volunteer work in your younger years? - garage - 01-08-2012

Catch people dumping trash illeagly then take they're lisence plate number and model of vehicle and call the cops on em! Or wack em in the head with a baseball bat(only kidding(kinda))

(01-08-2012, 03:53 PM)garage Catch people dumping trash illeagly then take they're lisence plate number and model of vehicle and call the cops on em! Or wack em in the head with a baseball bat(only kidding(kinda))

Hahaha around here the plates are undoubtedly stolen from cars in the DMV parking lot

RE: Volunteer work in your younger years? - JustPassinThru - 01-08-2012

Junior Kiwanis Club in high school. It probably would have generated great references for my resume from local small businessmen, probably even employment, if I'd stuck with it.

Volunteer at any large local clothes bank and you will find out quickly which local service clubs are active. My mom has been at a clothes bank for more than 40 years, President of it for the last 10. Anyone who is in charity work in the Puget Sound region, she knows. Not to mention half the elected Democrats in this state.

From my mom I have a pad I carry in my glove box. Phone numbers of all local shelters, plus a voucher for clothes at my mom's clothes bank. I dispense these as I see fit, to people begging at freeway off-ramps, et cetera. A lot of these are just hustlers. But a few have been genuine and I've saved them from spending a chilly night under a freeway overpass.

Kiwanis, Lions, Rotary, Elks, Eagles, and Moose are all pretty big around here.

RE: Volunteer work in your younger years? - JustPassinThru - 01-09-2012

Or, if your motto is "Go big or go home," then join The Red Cross, The Peace Corps, or OxFam, and see the world.