STD
sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Other (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Projects (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel (/showthread.php?tid=3066)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - sassparilla_kid - 01-20-2012

ALSO!!!! Still can't decide about whether or not I wanna straight pipe the exhaust or fix the leak. My pop keeps nagging me about fixing the broken flex pipe, and I can't decide whether or not I want to fix it or just get some lenths of pipe and some pre-bent pieces and straight pipe it, although I would probably put a generic magnaflow muffler or something on it as well

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - sassparilla_kid - 01-25-2012

Boost turned up, just needs a little fine tuning. Next, non-egr manifolds. After that, still cant decide between A/W intercooler or water/methanol injection, although IP work has made its way onto the list, along with possible propane injection. I have $150+/- left from my vegetable oil conversion grant, and if I can somehow remotely tie it in to to one of these mods I can get reimbursed.

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - waz - 01-25-2012

The water/methanol injetion can be tied to the veggie conversion. I've read that it keeps the veggie from gumming up things like the rings.

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - sassparilla_kid - 01-25-2012

Yeah I've read that also, probably gonna be the route I go... for now that is!! Cool

I guess that means I should start researching the subject so I can order stuff!!! Haha
Also, turning up the boost did not help much since the turbo takes sooo long to spool that by the time it reaches about 12-13psi its time to shift gears Sad
I guess that means more fuel is necessary Tongue

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - Serial Crusher - 01-26-2012

On my '83 I ran straight exhaust for about 2 years, It isn't ridiculously loud if it isn't leaking. You can definitely hear the turbo, but the engine noise is a very low tone-drone, pretty pleasing to the ear. This is a straight pipe the entire length of the stock system though, standard 2". Due to rust I cut out the bimuffler and post muffler. The trick then is hanging the exhaust, since the bimuffler hangers are way out on the sides. I wasn't too wild about welding on the car with all the asphalt and interior in place to I tacked a piece of angle to the pipe to bridge between the bimuffler hangers. The shorter you go the louder the engine drone is, but it doesn't seem to change the volume of the turbo. My flexpipe broke too and I wound up removing the tailpipe completely until I could find a suitable replacement or solution. It was heinously loud then (of course) but you could hear the turbo singing all the way down to an idle.

Back to way farther back in this thread: When I removed the stock intake system because it was rattling like a coffee can full of marbles I got a Specter 3"-2" reducer a 45 and a cone filter and ran a hose from the breather along the bowden cable down to the ground. I ran that setup for about 2 years also. I didn't notice any change in oil consumption, but it smelled horrible, like a burning clutch. It would have a curl of oil vapor coming out from under it whenever you weren't moving. It would generally blow into the window of any drive through restaurant I went to, so it had its moments Big Grin

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - sassparilla_kid - 01-26-2012

Haha awesome, yeah I went went with a fram 8038 filter and did the same thing with the breather, although there is such little blow by that I rarely if ever notice any unpleasant smells, although when I was looking under the car about a week ago I noticed that directly behind it the car is nice and oiled up. I guess if we had snow in sunny california I wouldn't have to worry about salt!

As for the exhaust I am planning on running a straight pipe instead of how the stock system is set up, although I will probably get a magnaflow muffler or something to keep it from getting too loud while still not impeding performance too much

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - sassparilla_kid - 01-30-2012

So after turning up the boost to about 12 psi or so, I have concluded due to the fact that I have stock fuel and since the turbo takes sooo long to spool, it has made no considerable difference... for now that is

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - larsalan - 01-30-2012

get that alda off? Maybe help you spool a lil faster Wink

Not yet, I may try it during the week. I ended up spending my time trying to get the central door locking system working, to no avail. At least I discovered the actuators for the rear doors leak but there is still one more leak I can't pinpoint and it is irritating to say the least.

Anybody know what size the ALDA nut is? I dont really feel like grinding down any of my good wrenches so I'll probably just end up buying one
On second thought I'll just check it with my fancy new digital micrometer I bought to use in my manufacturing processes class

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - Serial Crusher - 01-30-2012

Do you have the Garrett or the KKK? I've read on another thread here that the Garrett spools more slowly, and it definitely seems to be the case. Panz3r 2 spools a lot more slowly than Panz3r 1, which had the KKK. My new one also has stock exhaust and intake. I vaguely remember a slight increase in throttle response with the the changes I made to the intake and exhaust on my last one.

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - larsalan - 01-30-2012

I measure my custom wrench to be 1 and 1/8 in.

I have the garrett, maybe one day I'll be able to afford one of those fancy vnt's I see people talking about so frequently

As for the wrench, if I dont have/cant find one I'll just borrow one from the auto shop at school for a couple minutes next time Im in there

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - Captain America - 01-31-2012

Just use a crescent wrench. Its not like your gonna put the alda back on anyway and dump the exhaust straight to the ground right where it starts to curve to go under the car. It will sound amazing and WILL NOT resonate at all. There. Problems solved haha

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - capflya - 01-31-2012

I'm totally considering doing this... I want to get a turn down and bolt that where the exhaust has the connection so I can put the muffler and stuff back on. If anything, I'm taking this crap off so I can hear this thing breathe!

Turbo/engine sounds sweet with only the downpipe and nothing else

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - capflya - 01-31-2012

You sealed the deal... it's comin' off! Turn-down or not... It's getting removed lol

I would bet a turn down faced off to the side might help with any in-car noise. But then again my stereo will help with that anyways haha

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - sassparilla_kid - 01-31-2012

I think I should just dump the exhaust out behind the passenger side front wheel, that way when I get a big fancy pump I can smoke out anybody to the right of me lolol

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - Serial Crusher - 01-31-2012

If you have an open downpipe and any kind of aftermarket air filter you really need to keep up on filter maintenance. Idling it will dry out a cotton gauze filter in no time. Something to watch out for.

(01-31-2012, 09:03 PM)Serial Crusher If you have an open downpipe and any kind of aftermarket air filter you really need to keep up on filter maintenance. Idling it will dry out a cotton gauze filter in no time. Something to watch out for.

Thats one reason why dry filters are far superior.
(01-31-2012, 02:59 PM)capflya You sealed the deal... it's comin' off! Turn-down or not... It's getting removed lol

I would bet a turn down faced off to the side might help with any in-car noise. But then again my stereo will help with that anyways haha

This is what mine looks like to give everyone an idea

(01-31-2012, 03:44 PM)sassparilla_kid I think I should just dump the exhaust out behind the passenger side front wheel, that way when I get a big fancy pump I can smoke out anybody to the right of me lolol

People at the bus stop dont particularly care for me exhaust.... haha It's not even pointed in their direction and I can still leave em in a cloud

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - sassparilla_kid - 02-01-2012

Im gonna try to get some pipe in the next couple days, then work on taking the exhaust out, cutting out the resonator and muffler, inserting pipe, and reattaching to car. Seems like the simplest option to me

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - sassparilla_kid - 02-14-2012

Have not done anything performance related to the car lately, just got the instrument panel all functional and did the 4 brake light mod yesterday since one of my classes was cancelled.

However, it looks like intercooling has made its way onto the list of things to do lol

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - Simpler=Better - 02-15-2012

I hung a side-exit straight pipe behind the passenger rear door and in front of the rear tire. It wasn't too loud, but if I did it again I would have put a turn-down on the end. Want to buy my old side-exit exhaust Big Grin ? Shipping should only be like $400 out to cali haha

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - sassparilla_kid - 02-15-2012

Thanks for te offer but I think I can probably manage something a little cheaper lol

Does anybody know if a stock garrett can have the compressor housing rotated counter-clockwise or something to facilitate an IC, or does it need to be cut and re-welded

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - larsalan - 02-15-2012

need to loosen 6x 13mm bolts. Then you can turn it and tighten them back down

Awesome! That makes this project about 100 times easier lol, I guess I need to order an IC, amongst other things. Already have the w115 manifold thanks to Mr. DeliveryValve!

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - larsalan - 02-16-2012

beware those bolts are in a pretty tight space. I've made a shorty open wrench to get at them. Maybe not so tight once you pull off the manis or whatever.

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - sassparilla_kid - 02-16-2012

Yeah since I have a non-egr exhaust manifold and the w115 intake, and an extra garrett that will hopefully be getting rebuilt with a 60 trim comp wheel to handle a little more boost, I'm going to try to get everything all fabbed up before hand so when it comes time all I will have to do is take the old turbo and manifolds out, and then swap in all the new stuff.

I don't really like having to work on anything more than once or twice, which is why I plan on getting it all ready outside of the car where it it will be a lot easier to work on. At least this is what my experience tell me I should do haha
Which of these two do y'all think will work best? I like the straight through design more than that other kind because it is smaller and eliminates turns

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140669237191?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160607341114?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
Btw I am also thinking about adding water/methanol injection at the same time, unless intercooling will present some sort of a problem with this?

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - Captain America - 02-20-2012

I would go with the CXRacing one if you can fit it

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - sassparilla_kid - 02-20-2012

Yeah that's what I was thinking, I definitely think it will be large enough haha

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - sassparilla_kid - 04-02-2012

Since I'm on spring break this week, I plan on getting as much stuff done on the car as I can.

So far I have straight piped the exhaust, it could use with an ALDA adjustment, lots of smoke when I press the accelerator in neutral. Hopefully it spools up nice. Also need to get a tip that's turned down, so I won't be go-go-gadget smoke-screening/deafening any officers of the law

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - lgreeley83 - 04-03-2012

(04-02-2012, 10:31 PM)sassparilla_kid Also need to get a tip that's turned down, so I won't be go-go-gadget smoke-screening/deafening any officers of the law

My exhaust is proly 3-3.5" down pipe back. The last 2 feet or so has this chrome trucker stack welded on. Pack o' smokes is 3.5" So i think I smoke screen out about a 4.5-5" pipe. Just don't press hard on the pedal when the fuzz are behind you. Angel

My vanity plates coming say "SOOT" hopefully this does not increase my chances for pull over. (I know it does)

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - sassparilla_kid - 04-03-2012

(04-03-2012, 02:47 PM)lgreeley83
(04-02-2012, 10:31 PM)sassparilla_kid Also need to get a tip that's turned down, so I won't be go-go-gadget smoke-screening/deafening any officers of the law

My exhaust is proly 3-3.5" down pipe back. The last 2 feet or so has this chrome trucker stack welded on. Pack o' smokes is 3.5" So i think I smoke screen out about a 4.5-5" pipe. Just don't press hard on the pedal when the fuzz are behind you. Angel

My vanity plates coming say "SOOT" hopefully this does not increase my chances for pull over. (I know it does)

I agree no fast take-offs when around the fuzz. And those vanity plates are gonna be awesome!! I just cut out the mufflers and welded in some 2.5" pipe in their place, so not as big as yours but it still spools much quicker now! I'll try to get a video of the exhaust in a little while, I need to have breakfast first and take a shower and all that stuff

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - lgreeley83 - 04-03-2012

[/quote]
I just cut out the mufflers and welded in some 2.5" pipe in their place, so not as big as yours but it still spools much quicker now! I'll try to get a video of the exhaust in a little while, I need to have breakfast first and take a shower and all that stuff
[/quote]

Mine is unnecessarily big, but it was there when I bought it. SOOT BAZOOKA!

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - sassparilla_kid - 04-03-2012

At least yours is already big for when you win the lottery and swap in an OM606 with a dieselmeken pump and a big turbo Tongue

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - sassparilla_kid - 04-27-2012

Got all of my water/methanol stuff, I plan on installing that along with my egr-less manifolds and egt stuff tomorrow Big Grin

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - larsalan - 04-27-2012

Should be nice. Run some of that booze and you'll for sure feel a nice smooth liveliness to your top end. Just kinda pricey to keep up on that stuff.

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - sassparilla_kid - 04-28-2012

(04-27-2012, 08:41 PM)larsalan Should be nice. Run some of that booze and you'll for sure feel a nice smooth liveliness to your top end. Just kinda pricey to keep up on that stuff.

Yeah I'll probably only run the methanol on special occasions, and just use water the rest of the time. It should still cool the charge air some I think

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - larsalan - 04-28-2012

That's what they claim. I never feel any power from whatever cooling effect the water has. Just power from the alcohol as added fuel.

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - sassparilla_kid - 04-28-2012

Well it will clean out the extra carbon from running wvo, at any rate, or whatever little there is in there after my very frequent italian tune ups
When I get all my stuff in I'm gonna write "W.E.P." near the switch lol

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - larsalan - 04-28-2012

Throw some paint thinner in your tank is prolly cleaner than just blowing water all through there.

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - sassparilla_kid - 05-19-2012

Half way through the manifolds and stuff, and holy shit are the turbo-to-exhaust manifold nuts a bitch to get off!! This is definitely going to be a two day project for me lol. ugh, why couldn't mercedes have made this easier to do

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - lgreeley83 - 05-19-2012

I read you were doing this. Me to proly in a few days or so. Ive been spraying all the manifold and turbo nuts once a day for 3 days now hoping it doesnt go.so.bad for me.. Hope you get em off.

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - sassparilla_kid - 05-19-2012

I decided to stop for the day and clean myself up and go get some fooood. I have the intake manifold off, but the turbo and exhaust are not wanting to come out as a single unit due to space and what not, so I only have one turbo to exhaust bolt left and then it should be smoooooth sailing from here on out!!

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - lgreeley83 - 05-20-2012

Hmmm. Just not enough room? It seemed others were able to get exhaust and turbo off together. Thanks for posting. Giving me the tips... what are you doing for manifold nuts? Did you buy new?

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - Purplecomputer - 05-20-2012

I had the same issue, everything was rusted for when I had to take off the manifolds to change the gasket. I had to grind out the bolts!

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - sassparilla_kid - 05-20-2012

(05-20-2012, 08:37 AM)lgreeley83 Hmmm. Just not enough room? It seemed others were able to get exhaust and turbo off together. Thanks for posting. Giving me the tips... what are you doing for manifold nuts? Did you buy new?

Yeah I'm just having some trouble with room and stuff. I think if I pulled extremely hard I could probably get the manifold and turbo off together, but the oil drain from the turbo doesn't want to bend far enough for them to both come off at once. Also, I'm just gonna re-use the manifold nuts, mostly because I don't feel like going out and buying more haha, I'll let you know how it turns out.

(05-20-2012, 12:17 PM)Purplecomputer I had the same issue, everything was rusted for when I had to take off the manifolds to change the gasket. I had to grind out the bolts!

Damn!! My manifold nuts weren't that tight, only the ones holding the turbo on. Everything else came off relatively easily, more or less.

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - Purplecomputer - 05-20-2012

(05-20-2012, 02:01 PM)sassparilla_kid
(05-20-2012, 08:37 AM)lgreeley83 Hmmm. Just not enough room? It seemed others were able to get exhaust and turbo off together. Thanks for posting. Giving me the tips... what are you doing for manifold nuts? Did you buy new?

Yeah I'm just having some trouble with room and stuff. I think if I pulled extremely hard I could probably get the manifold and turbo off together, but the oil drain from the turbo doesn't want to bend far enough for them to both come off at once. Also, I'm just gonna re-use the manifold nuts, mostly because I don't feel like going out and buying more haha, I'll let you know how it turns out.

(05-20-2012, 12:17 PM)Purplecomputer I had the same issue, everything was rusted for when I had to take off the manifolds to change the gasket. I had to grind out the bolts!

Damn!! My manifold nuts weren't that tight, only the ones holding the turbo on. Everything else came off relatively easily, more or less.

Did you try taking a blow torch and heating them up? Works every time for me when i have a really stuck bolt/nut

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - sassparilla_kid - 05-20-2012

Wow I am an idiot, I guess after working on the car for like 4 hours and only eating a bowl of cereal for breakfast and not drinking any liquids all day makes me overlook things. I got the last nut off in like 2 minutes when I started working on the car again today because I realised I was going about it all wrong lol. Now to drill/tap everything for egt probe & water/methanol stuff, and then paint and then back on the car, hopefully within a couple hours because I just want to be done with it all lol.

FAAAAAAAACCCCKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tapping the hole for the egt probe and the fuckin' tap broke off!!!! WTF man!?!?!? Stupid ass "engineershandbook.com" gave me the wrong size hole, it told me to use a "Q" drill when it really should have been an "R" drill, bastards. I'm never gonna use them again to figure out hole-drill sizes Angry

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - Hercules - 05-20-2012

Try soaking the nuts,bolts with penetrating oil spray a number of times,starting a few days ahead ,usually works well.

Also can try using a pry against the wrench,(Save your wrists) This works well,just choose some that will not be damaged.