STD
sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Other (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Projects (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel (/showthread.php?tid=3066)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - MTUPower - 11-09-2011

(10-30-2011, 08:24 PM)Captain America 1 cup of oil over 20 months is insignificant in my eyes and the stock filter setup is lame. Tongue
That's my setup on my engine... some engine may produce a cup a day....

Why is the stock set up lame? It certainly allows enough air and filters it very well. What else do you want from your air filter???

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - Captain America - 11-09-2011

Efff the waste gate.

Save your lunch money and get the manual controller.

- Set it.
- Test run down the street, if it needs adjustment
- Pop the hood
- Adjust
- Leave hood on the safety
- Repeat.
- Close hood when properly adjusted.

That will take 10 min max Big Grin
(11-09-2011, 05:55 PM)MTUPower
(10-30-2011, 08:24 PM)Captain America 1 cup of oil over 20 months is insignificant in my eyes and the stock filter setup is lame. Tongue
That's my setup on my engine... some engine may produce a cup a day....

Why is the stock set up lame? It certainly allows enough air and filters it very well. What else do you want from your air filter???

More space and the great sound
(11-09-2011, 10:16 AM)iheartboost just disconnect the waste gate FULL BOOST! lol jk

Have you tried that? lol The over boost safety switch will cut fuel HARD! Like slamming on the brakes!

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - MFSuper90 - 11-09-2011

Overboost? On a 617? I have had no such problem

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - sassparilla_kid - 11-10-2011

Is the overboost safety switch that sensor lookin thingy sticking out of the manifold towards the back??

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - Captain America - 11-10-2011

(11-09-2011, 10:55 PM)MFSuper90 Overboost? On a 617? I have had no such problem

I did, easily when I first installed my controller, which was basically an air compressor pressure reg. Adjusted it backward by accident. Safety switch cut at just about 14-15 psi IIRC

The system works well, therefore I removed it Tongue
(11-10-2011, 12:59 AM)sassparilla_kid Is the overboost safety switch that sensor lookin thingy sticking out of the manifold towards the back??

Yes that is the sensor and it sends a signal to close off the boost going to the ALDA via that switchover valve at the firewall

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - sassparilla_kid - 11-10-2011

Oh well the switchover valve was bypassed by a previous owner sooo I guess thats one less thing I have to remove lol. Has anybody come up with any good uses for the hole the sensor screws into, or is it just best left alone

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - MFSuper90 - 11-10-2011

Ahh, i pulled that thing off when i yanked the ALDA off.
I figured if it was hooked into the ALDA i didnt need it anymore Wink

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - Captain America - 11-11-2011

You can leave the sensor there if you bypass the switchover valve. Or unplug the sensor and leave the switch over in place

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - iheartboost - 11-11-2011

lol yea captain thats true. i was figuring he was going to remove it or by pass it like everyone else lol

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - Captain America - 11-13-2011

I by passed that hoe!

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - sassparilla_kid - 11-13-2011

A previous owner by-passed the switchover valve so its already done! Now I just have to stop screwing around and actually get some more work done on the car, maybe after this week since Im gonna have some other stuff goin on that takes precedent Undecided

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - mike-81-240d - 11-14-2011

I ran without the wastegate hooked up for at least two months... It maxed out my harbor frieght boost gauge and then some. At least 25 psi. Sounded sooooo amazing on the freeway at 17-23psi in third passing someone. I had so many people looking like WTF is this haha.

Now I have my wastegate actuator line replaced, and I went back to the stock air cleaner, versus the shitty fram 8038.

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - Captain America - 11-14-2011

How did it perform at that boost?

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - mike-81-240d - 11-14-2011

(11-14-2011, 01:54 AM)Captain America How did it perform at that boost?

Very swell up to 17, anything higher and it was bad news bears... You could hear the little T3 over spinning. Idea

Haha yeah probly like a heat gun too lol

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - sassparilla_kid - 11-14-2011

So what I take from this is, increase boost until it sounds like the turbo is gonna explode, then back off a little bit lol

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - iheartboost - 11-14-2011

Lol dont do that. But dam I dident think these baby turbos could get to more than 25 psi

It will make that boost. But at that pressure you are both over running it and making an intense amount of heat. Take a look at what 15lbs looks like....

Poor Little 45 trim looks like this @4500 rpm with 15lbs of boost:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4363]

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - sassparilla_kid - 11-14-2011

I don't really understand what Im looking at Undecided

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - aaa - 11-14-2011

The efficiency is around 60%. 60% instead of 74% is 10c hotter.

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - iheartboost - 11-14-2011

wow. yea its already falling off the map at 15lbs. its been a while since ive read a compressor map. looks like ill have to do a little refresher once i try to find the turbo for the 603

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - sassparilla_kid - 11-15-2011

They need to teach useful information like how to read these things in schools, so I understand what the the y-axis and x-axis represent but am still trying to figure out what they have to do with each other and where rpm comes into the equation

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - aaa - 11-15-2011

RPM and boost and combined into the x-axis. Higher rpm = more airflow, higher boost = more airflow. The y is boost.

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - sassparilla_kid - 11-15-2011

Alright that makes a little more sense

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - Captain America - 11-15-2011

Basically the more boost and RPM you have the red dot moves up and to the right....

The curved lines that start high on the left and go down to the right are turbo RPM

The left side is SURGE (when more air volume is being made than can be taken in by the engine IIRC)

The right side is CHOKE:
"When a turbocharger is run deep into choke, turbo speeds increase dramatically while compressor efficiency plunges (very high compressor outlet temps). Additionally, the turbo's durability is compromised by the resulting high thrust loads."

You can plug boost and RPM into the calc to see where your turbo is operating...
http://www.not2fast.com/turbo/glossary/turbo_calc.shtml?FeetASL=1100&Tamb=30&Bore=90.9&Stroke=92.4&nCyl=5&RPM=4500&VE=85&Boost=15&Ec=75&Eic=0&PdropIC=0&TambIC=30&wiPercentMethanol=0&wiRate=0&wiTemp=0&SFC=0&AFR=0&maxInjectorDutyCycle=0

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - iheartboost - 11-15-2011

(11-15-2011, 01:41 AM)sassparilla_kid They need to teach useful information like how to read these things in schools, so I understand what the the y-axis and x-axis represent but am still trying to figure out what they have to do with each other and where rpm comes into the equation

here ya go friend http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/showthread.php?tid=3131

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - sassparilla_kid - 12-01-2011

Does anybody know the diameter of the line going to the wastegate? The manual boost controller people make you choose between 1/4" and 3/16" on their website

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - iheartboost - 12-01-2011

hmm... good question. lol.

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - Captain America - 12-01-2011

Line size is 3/8" going to the wastegate.

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - sassparilla_kid - 12-01-2011

I guess I should get the 1/4" one then

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - Captain America - 12-01-2011

Which part are they referring to for the size choice? Link?

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - sassparilla_kid - 12-02-2011

(12-01-2011, 11:36 PM)Captain America Which part are they referring to for the size choice? Link?

The hose barb size is available in two different sizes. I guess it doesn't really matter which one I get if they dont work I can just go buy different sized barbs

http://nxsmotorsports.com/content/manual-boost-controller-classic

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - Captain America - 12-05-2011

Ahhh, Guess it wont matter because you need 3/8" barbs anyway...

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - sassparilla_kid - 01-10-2012

FINALLY!!! Ordered turbo and exhaust gaskets along with a new thermostat, from autohausaz, hopefully they arrive in the next week so I can finish this project lol, so I guess I need to get an egt guage and install on the non-egr manifold before installing in the car, and then I can hopefully move on to other projects.... hmmmm Im having trouble deciding, A/W IC, or water/meth/war emergency power/ whatever you want to call it, or maybe something else?? Suggestions folks?
Also if its possible I guess this should probably be in the "Projects" section of the forum but Im unsure about how to do that

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - Captain America - 01-11-2012

Nuclear Reactor FOR THE WIN! Cool

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - sassparilla_kid - 01-11-2012

That would be bitchin!!! Imagine the torque lol

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - aaa - 01-11-2012

(01-10-2012, 03:30 AM)sassparilla_kid Also if its possible I guess this should probably be in the "Projects" section of the forum but Im unsure about how to do that

Do you want me to rename it too?

RE: Intake/exhaust questions - sassparilla_kid - 01-12-2012

(01-11-2012, 05:09 PM)aaa
(01-10-2012, 03:30 AM)sassparilla_kid Also if its possible I guess this should probably be in the "Projects" section of the forum but Im unsure about how to do that

Do you want me to rename it too?

Sure could you just name it "sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel" or something along those lines? I think that would work

Thanks!

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - Captain America - 01-12-2012

TURBO -Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch!

[Image: tumblr_lx2ad2c0ty1qkmmtwo1_500.jpg]

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - sassparilla_kid - 01-12-2012

^^^^^^ like X 1000 lol
Also I gots another question, what is the best bang for the buck turbo wise? Would it be a new fancy turbo or getting the garrett rebuilt or something along those lines?

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - Captain America - 01-13-2012

I just got mine rebuilt. I guess it depends on your goals...

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - sassparilla_kid - 01-13-2012

My goal is to be able to be able to merge with traffic, possibly going uphill while doing so

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - Captain America - 01-14-2012

Cost me $400 to go from a blown out Garret T3, 45 trim to a 60 trim with a brand new CHRA and new turbine wheel. Only old parts used were the turbine and compressor housings. Now I can safely run up to 24psi @ 5000 RPM and still be 70% efficient, whereas my 45 trim would have exploded 3 times over

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/showthread.php?tid=2516&pid=28225#pid28225

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - sassparilla_kid - 01-14-2012

Hmm do you actually run it at 24psi? And I thought 13 or so was the max that could be run efficiently without extensive pump work/tuning, without just producing more heat
Oh and I got my manifold and turbo gaskets today from autohausaz along with a new thermostat so in the next week or two I hope to swap in the non-egr manifolds and flush coolant and replace thermostat and upper radiator hose. Just need to clean the new manifolds off and obtain an egt gauge/sensor and install before hand and then I can move on to the next project

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - Captain America - 01-14-2012

No I dont but have that option available. at 14psi with stock turbo, youre under 65% efficiency so yes a lot of heat is being made... IP tuning will not change the compressor map. The 45 trim works harder with higher pressure no matter what you do to the IP.

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - sassparilla_kid - 01-14-2012

So approximately what is the ideal pressure for stock turbo with stock IP (ALDA maxxed) for best power/efficiency combination?

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - Captain America - 01-18-2012

I would say 13, 14 max

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - sassparilla_kid - 01-18-2012

Yeah that's about where I was planning on putting it

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - Captain America - 01-19-2012

after that turbo charger go boom! ....Not literally, but you will be over running it if you go past 14lbs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ryan after he cranks the boost up...

Seconds Later

lol. I have too much fun

RE: sassparilla_kid's 300D Turbodiesel - sassparilla_kid - 01-19-2012

HAAAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!!!! That would be awesome!!!!
Except maybe not the dieing in the explosion part Tongue
Also finally got around to ordering the boost controller, tomorrow I'll probably pick up egt gauge/sensor