STD
Drip timing on a 85 Cali car? - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Drip timing on a 85 Cali car? (/showthread.php?tid=2783)

Drip timing on a 85 Cali car? - dieselboy - 07-09-2011

Is there some specific way to do it?

I'm getting a reading of 14° retarded.

The car has smoke on the top end and has alot of intake noise.

RE: Drip timing on a 85 Cali car? - Captain America - 07-09-2011

Not unless there is something different with the emissions BS that I dont know about.

Have you tried advancing it at all?

RE: Drip timing on a 85 Cali car? - dieselboy - 07-09-2011

Nah were going to mess with it tomorrow. My car too. Mine dripped out to 11° advanced lol.

RE: Drip timing on a 85 Cali car? - Captain America - 07-09-2011

Oh wow. Mine was at 18 advanced and it ran like poop

RE: Drip timing on a 85 Cali car? - Hercules - 07-09-2011

A little different slant at timing pump,very accurate. Attach a 2ft.long hose with banjo fitting at inj.pump fuel inlet,attach second hose to #1 cyl. inj.pump outlet by using part of( extra ) steel line,insert the free end into a small clear container,place container higher than pump,where can be easily seen, fill with water. .Following pump timing procedures. Just blow through fuel inlet hose ,watch bubbles exiting outlet hose. When bubbles just stop or slow to one every (3) sec. pump timed. Nice thing about this method,Both hands are free,easy to see. Don"t worry, have used this method many times,compared to drip method ..

RE: Drip timing on a 85 Cali car? - dieselboy - 07-10-2011

Drip method seems eaiser.

RE: Drip timing on a 85 Cali car? - Syncro_G - 07-10-2011

timing on '85 Calif car is the same as on other 617.952 engines.
If you have an '85 (and probably other years- ?), you have the port for the riv tool. they can be expensive but if you know someone nearby with one, try to borrow it.

Good luck. I still haven't figured out the drip method.

RE: Drip timing on a 85 Cali car? - dieselboy - 07-10-2011

I dripped a friends Sd and it's perfect. His wagon is a 85 and its giving us a 17° retarded reading. My car is saying 11° Advanced

RE: Drip timing on a 85 Cali car? - Biohazard - 07-10-2011

(07-09-2011, 05:31 PM)Hercules A little different slant at timing pump,very accurate. Attach a 2ft.long hose with banjo fitting at inj.pump fuel inlet,attach second hose to #1 cyl. inj.pump outlet by using part of( extra ) steel line,insert the free end into a small clear container,place container higher than pump,where can be easily seen, fill with water. .Following pump timing procedures. Just blow through fuel inlet hose ,watch bubbles exiting outlet hose. When bubbles just stop or slow to one every (3) sec. pump timed. Nice thing about this method,Both hands are free,easy to see. Don"t worry, have used this method many times,compared to drip method ..

This does seem a bit easier to me. Quick question, or clearification. I'm assuming you still pull the innner part of the delivery valve out of #1 to use this meathod? It seems you would have to, but I would like to make sure I'm on the same page. Thanks!

RE: Drip timing on a 85 Cali car? - Hercules - 07-10-2011

Yes, same method as drip. Note , can back up engine when timing,be sure to back up min. 30 deg.,This is ok"ed by Mbz. I use p/s pulley nut to rotate engine,Just push down on belt if pulley slips or tighten loose belt. Using bubble method allows single person to time pump,very easy seen,remember timing is set rotating engine to just fuel stop. Must have vac.pull disconnected,and throttle at full. (best with engine Off) lol;

RE: Drip timing on a 85 Cali car? - Biohazard - 07-10-2011

Awesome info! Thanks again for the great tip!

RE: Drip timing on a 85 Cali car? - dieselboy - 07-11-2011

Would the engine even run worth a crap at 17° retard?

I'm doing it exactly like we did his Sd and the Sd runs great.

RE: Drip timing on a 85 Cali car? - Captain America - 07-11-2011

I wouldnt think it would run or even try to!

Like I said mine ran like shit @ 18° BTDC not ATDC haha

RE: Drip timing on a 85 Cali car? - Biohazard - 07-11-2011

^^^ What he said. I'm going to try this method on my brothers car and see what it shows. Hopefully, Wed afternoon. I have to replace the lift pump gasket anyways, to I'll be in the right area at least! LOL
Edit: GAH! It's only Monday, not off till Wed. DAMN!!

RE: Drip timing on a 85 Cali car? - winmutt - 07-18-2011

I've never had any luck with drip timing really. Just get the lock tool for the A/B port and time it that way.

RE: Drip timing on a 85 Cali car? - Biohazard - 07-18-2011

Didn't have time to check timing. I'm putting rebuild injectors in his car this Wed, will try retiming it after that.

RE: Drip timing on a 85 Cali car? - Biohazard - 07-20-2011

Got the rebuilt injectors put in and used Hercules' method of timing the pump. WAAAY easier! I set it to 26 BTDC and it is running like a champ again. I would highly recommend this method for setting timing. Big Grin

RE: Drip timing on a 85 Cali car? - led-panzer - 07-21-2011

(07-18-2011, 09:17 AM)winmutt I've never had any luck with drip timing really. Just get the lock tool for the A/B port and time it that way.

Where might I be able to buy said tool?

RE: Drip timing on a 85 Cali car? - winmutt - 07-22-2011

rusty @ buymbparts.biz is where I get all my stuff. He recently hooked up with Autohaus AZ's distrib so he can beat them on 95% of the goods.