STD
performance options? - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Suspension (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: performance options? (/showthread.php?tid=2739)

performance options? - randomdude - 06-22-2011

SO, would anyone care to fill me in on what my options are for performance shocks, springs, sways, bushings are? does anyone know what the dimensions are on the swaybar/ mount bushings are so i can get them in poly/delrin/whatever? what about better a-arm bushings?

thanks in advance for ANY help! Big Grin

im a total newb to MBZ so please forgive me lol.

RE: performance options? - Captain America - 06-24-2011

Some Delrin bushings would be sweet!

RE: performance options? - randomdude - 06-25-2011

IKNOWRITE!?!

wow, no replies. is there really no performance suspension stuffs out there for 123's?

i guess i'll have to dig harder.

RE: performance options? - garage - 06-25-2011

You can get a larger front swaybar from a wagon, thatll stiffen up the front suspension.
I never could find any performance/upgraded bushings. I would say just replacing all of em would make a world of difference.

Ive heard that H&R makes springs for the w123..
Also found this site. Never looked into any further though.
http://www.slmarket.com/springs.htm
Also you can look into Vogtland springs(im not sure on the spelling), some members ordered them, some liked em, some didnt.

As for shocks, Bilstein makes some for the w123, i think comfort, sport, and heavy duty.

Other than that i dont know if theres too much more out there...
Let us know what you find.

RE: performance options? - randomdude - 06-25-2011

^holy wowzers!!! 800 bones for a set of sports springs from that place! man, i got IPD track springs for my volvo for $200 lol.

for the wagon front sway, what years? 79-85? has anyone tried doing a double/stacked sway setup on the back

RE: performance options? - winmutt - 06-25-2011

Any of the turbo wagon bars will be thicker. No OE upgrades left for the rear sway bar. You could make one with a larger bar from a SEC or so and chop/weld it. You can get H&R springs, there was a group by of vogtlands a while ago, you may want to try contacting them or lopping off a few coils on what you have. Bilstein HD is best for suspension. There is a Kmac kit for the rear, but I dont know anyone who has used them.

RE: performance options? - Biohazard - 07-11-2011

Has anyone tried adapting an aftermarket rear sway bar for a MK3 or MK4 Jetta/Golf? I'm going to have to run to the VW dealership next door at lunch and see how wide they are under there. I used to work there, I remember they have some add-on type that bolt onto the bottom of the VW rear suspension. I'll report back with width after lunch... Big Grin

RE: performance options? - Biohazard - 07-11-2011

So VW didn't have a car with an aftermarket rear swaybar in it. But, they did have a Mk4 Golf up on a rack. So, I did take some measurements and did some eyeball measuring against pictures on the interwebs, and it looks like a neuspeed one is going to be about 44" wide at the open ends, with about 14" arms. I'll see if I can compare to my 123 tonight. Smile

RE: performance options? - randomdude - 07-12-2011

sweet! that would open up a TON of possiblities.

RE: performance options? - Biohazard - 07-12-2011

Well it was starting to get dark when I got home last night. I looked as best as I could. The arm length may be too long. I'm going to try to check again. I'm off tomorrow, will see about having daylight to see how it looks.

Back on to the original question though about bushings, etc. I don't know of any performance bushings. I am wondering though, about making bushings better. I've seen it done where people take a stock bushing and add poly around it to make it stiffer. Or, just make a bushing from the shot stock pieces. Here is a random thread using the stuff I was thinking of.

http://www.volvolution.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=838

I've seen people add this to a stock bushing (that has openings) to make it stiffer. This guy used a stock bushing, minus the rubber bits, and formed his own poly around it. Seems this could be a cheap way to get better bushings if done correctly. It also sounds like there are different durometers it would seem. Even brand new stock bushings are going to be better than whats in my car right now. LOL

RE: performance options? - Captain America - 07-13-2011

Why not make some out of uhmw?

RE: performance options? - 300D50 - 07-13-2011

You took the words outa my fingers.

And before you ask, no, I will not machine UHMW. Shit doesn't turn worth a dog fart.

RE: performance options? - Biohazard - 07-13-2011

UHMW? Ultra Hot Midget Woman? Uncle Harrys Magic Whiskey? Huh, I got nothin here. Big Grin

RE: performance options? - 300D50 - 07-13-2011

Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene, aka UHMW-PE, aka UHMW.

It machines, it's just a bear because it's so gummy...

RE: performance options? - led-panzer - 07-13-2011

(07-13-2011, 09:53 AM)Biohazard UHMW? Ultra Hot Midget Woman? Uncle Harrys Magic Whiskey? Huh, I got nothin here. Big Grin

Lmao I'm glad I'm not the only one who's never heard of it

LOL Thanks for clearing that up, makes waaaay more sense than what I came up with.

RE: performance options? - Captain America - 07-13-2011

Like delrin but has very good impact resistance and is very slippery

I don't know the specifics of either but I'd think its a great option, just kinda difficult to machine

RE: performance options? - randomdude - 07-13-2011

ive done the DIY many a time, and is what i'll be doing now if i dont find anything after a few more searches.

the best stuff to use is "window weld" from the auto parts store. when i went to full poly engine/trans bushings on my turbo volvo, the diffrence in off the line improvement was unbelieveable. waaay more than i thought possible simply by switching bushing material.

So it looks like a mk4 Jetta add on rear sway bar is going to be close. Looks like the arms would have to be cut down a few inches, possibly tight on the width too. I'll see if I can find a mk4 or even mk3 one to borrow for fitment.

RE: performance options? - randomdude - 07-14-2011

that'd be awesome! energy suspension sells universal poly sway bar bushing, all you need is the measurments. so a wagon front sway, and then maybe a mod'd mk4 rear, with poly bushings on both would be sweeet.

the front shock/spring setup is a bummer, cuz you cant do DIY front coilovers.

RE: performance options? - Biohazard - 07-19-2011

I've put the good word in with a guy I know to see if I can borrow a rear sway bar. I'll update with results when I have them. Smile

RE: performance options? - randomdude - 07-20-2011

sweeet. good research sir. and check out energysuspension, universal poly bushings.

RE: performance options? - winmutt - 07-22-2011

I found a couple custom spring shops on google last night. Seems like the going price for custom sway bar is about $250 or so which is inline with MB pricing.

RE: performance options? - Biohazard - 07-22-2011

I had checked with a spring/bushing shop that is local to me, they quoted me about 400 bucks last year. If you find one for closer to 250, please let us know!

RE: performance options? - Captain America - 07-22-2011

Eibach! FTW! Their headquarters is 20 min from my house.