STD
picture upload preferences - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Board Info (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: picture upload preferences (/showthread.php?tid=2647)

picture upload preferences - JB3 - 05-23-2011

what makes better sense for picture uploading?

Is it better to upload directly to the forum, or to link through photobucket or such? I know both work, but I had read in another forum that a direct upload is preferred for keeping the pics long term vs a potentially breakable link from an image site.

Any thoughts?

RE: picture upload preferences - larsalan - 05-23-2011

I used to use flickr but then I couldn't figure out the password or the email address I had used for it like a million times.
Now I use photobucket and they suck. Take forever to upload, login etc.
Seems like a page is more likely to load consistently and with longevity if all the stuff you're loading comes from the same server yeah?
But, I guess you can save this server some space by using those external links.

RE: picture upload preferences - winmutt - 05-23-2011

I can give you a FTP account and let you upload images to /images/benz/dropnosky, that way even if the board is hosed we still have the images.

RE: picture upload preferences - 300D50 - 05-23-2011

I run my own photo hosting on my personal site, it's worked good for me so far.

RE: picture upload preferences - Captain America - 05-23-2011

(05-23-2011, 08:19 AM)300D50 I run my own photo hosting on my personal site, it's worked good for me so far.

Well look at Mr. Fancy Pants!

I have something like 44.12mb worth of attachments uploaded here. and a couple on photobucket to get around the automatic re-size...

RE: picture upload preferences - DeliveryValve - 05-26-2011

I hate it when I do a search on a forum and look at past posts with good information, only to see all the pics with broken links or a photobucket type blank filler pic. That is why I almost aways upload pictures on to that forum so it will be there for years as long as the forum is in operation.

RE: picture upload preferences - willbhere4u - 05-26-2011

ditto ^^^ since I cant edit my post after 144hr I cant fix the broken photo links on my 300sdl project page or my older 240d turbo article and they where directly loaded to this sight

RE: picture upload preferences - Captain America - 05-26-2011

Well even old posts that have attachments from here are just links now, that you have to click on... Huh

RE: picture upload preferences - willbhere4u - 05-26-2011

Yea that's what I meant! I wanted to fix it to show the pic's on the page with out a link!

RE: picture upload preferences - mike-81-240d - 05-26-2011

(05-23-2011, 08:08 AM)winmutt I can give you a FTP account and let you upload images to /images/benz/dropnosky, that way even if the board is hosed we still have the images.

Interested. Don't feel like paying for flickr pro, and photobucket sucks balls.

RE: picture upload preferences - Captain America - 05-26-2011

(05-26-2011, 05:19 PM)willbhere4u Yea that's what I meant! I wanted to fix it to show the pic's on the page with out a link!

Sweet yeah it would be cool if it could be fixed!!!

RE: picture upload preferences - Captain America - 06-25-2011

Is is just me or does everyone get this when trying to upload pictures...?

[Image: Untitled-3.png]

RE: picture upload preferences - led-panzer - 06-27-2011

(06-25-2011, 04:46 PM)Captain America Is is just me or does everyone get this when trying to upload pictures...?

[Image: Untitled-3.png]

Just had this exact same experience, I tried 5 times.

RE: picture upload preferences - winmutt - 06-28-2011

Fixed.

For what it is worth I have a weeks vaca coming up when the new baby pops out and I plan on spending some time on the site cleaning up the threads that need it.

RE: picture upload preferences - JB3 - 06-29-2011

whats a good free download picture manager program?

I was using Microsoft Office Picture Manager which was perfectly adequate for me, but I lost it along with all of microsoft office when my computer detonated recently.

Lately I have been trying out photobucket, but it seems pretty top heavy to me, and pictures resized and posted do not always seem to properly resize or rotate properly, which is a PITA.

All I really need is to resize and occasionally rotate the pictures reliably on my desktop. Any suggestions?

RE: picture upload preferences - Captain America - 07-01-2011

I Heart you Winmutt

RE: picture upload preferences - DeliveryValve - 07-01-2011

(06-29-2011, 02:39 PM)dropnosky whats a good free download picture manager program?

I was using Microsoft Office Picture Manager which was perfectly adequate for me, but I lost it along with all of microsoft office when my computer detonated recently.

Lately I have been trying out photobucket, but it seems pretty top heavy to me, and pictures resized and posted do not always seem to properly resize or rotate properly, which is a PITA.

All I really need is to resize and occasionally rotate the pictures reliably on my desktop. Any suggestions?

Open Office is a great free replacement of your MS Office but unfortunately it doesn't come with a photo editor. Here are some good free photo editor programs.

Gimp

GimpShop

XnView

RE: picture upload preferences - JB3 - 07-01-2011

great, thanks!

RE: picture upload preferences - waz - 07-01-2011

Paint.net is a pretty good free photo editor too.