STD
"pumps" - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: "pumps" (/showthread.php?tid=2509)

"pumps" - makin' smoke - 04-13-2011

Hello all om617 tuners. I'm a new member, been following for some time. I appreciate what STD has offered us all and the great advise and tech info fellow users have given. I posted this thread for a little more basics info and maybe some technical data or spec on injection pumps for the 617 motors. I have both an M and a WM pump on hand. I've read as much as I can without going cross eyed. I haven't found any talk about what is stock. What size elements? Is there a way to identify what's in your pump by part number?(If any) Is there pumps that are better than others?

RE: "pumps" - tomnik - 04-13-2011

617 turbos came with MW pump only.
617 N/A came mainly with M pump, some early (if not only W115) came with MW N/A pump.
The element diameter is indicated in the part number PES (number of cylinders) M (or MW) XY . The XY (i.e. 55) stands for 5.5mm elements.
Only 200D has 5.0mm, 220-300 D has 5.5mm and some newer models have 6.0mm.
Which one is better depends on what you want.
The MW might be better in sense of more expensive technically, made for higher pressures.
For the M there are more/better options for larger elements but there was never a 5 cyl. M with turbo governor.

Tom

(04-13-2011, 10:36 AM)makin smoke Hello all om617 tuners. I'm a new member, been following for some time. I appreciate what STD has offered us all and the great advise and tech info fellow users have given. I posted this thread for a little more basics info and maybe some technical data or spec on injection pumps for the 617 motors. I have both an M and a WM pump on hand. I've read as much as I can without going cross eyed. I haven't found any talk about what is stock. What size elements? Is there a way to identify what's in your pump by part number?(If any) Is there pumps that are better than others?

RE: "pumps" - makin' smoke - 04-13-2011

That's exactly what I was asking for. Thank You tomnik.
If I decided to use an M pump, does it need to be modified(element size) to be used with stock or slightly larger turbo? Or just adjust full load/ remove rack limiter. Will 5's or 5.5's be worth the swap? I see it as an advantage to have fuel on demand rather than waiting for boost to signal alda to move the rack. I apologize if I sound too basic or repetitive, I plan on starting with basics, understanding componentry and going through a progression of mods as I've read you guys have.

RE: "pumps" - dieselboy - 04-13-2011

In the states we didn't get the M pump except on imported euro cars. You should come to the meet this weekend and we will learn ya.

I'm there! Just tell me where and when.

RE: "pumps" - Captain America - 04-13-2011

Makin'

Where The Eff do you live man? I'm probly right around the corner from ya.!

Yeah take a look at the events thread http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/thread-socal-std-meetup Stan, Garage, and I are heading down to Diesel Boys' house on Saturday

Reche canyon area, north moreno valley.

Oh sweet. I ride through there pretty often. It's on my way home from work. You should come to the meet this weekend if you can! Diesel Boy will PM you his address... We are all gonna drive out together..

Back on topic.

If you want instant fuel, remove the ADLA. It makes an enormous difference in off the line accel.... When mine was on it was a dog, after removal, I can do burnouts, build 6-7lbs of boost power braking, surprise people haha

I can stop by if you want any help!

Sounds like that's what's next on the 83'! I have the head at the shop right now gettin' a grind job. Which brings up a good point, I found a private machine shop in Redlands. He does all Gale banks personal machine work. We'll see how my head turns out. It might be the spot.

Oooooo Nice! Are they doing any porting or anything to help flow? What are they charging for the work?

RE: "pumps" - mike-81-240d - 04-13-2011

I demand full size pics of the car in your avatar..... Me likey