STD
Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? (/showthread.php?tid=2135)

Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - jonbobshinigin - 01-08-2011

Hey, I am looking to modify my 603 air cleaner system, I am going install my HX35 Turbo and I want to go ahead and install a larger filter. I am thinking that I will remove the current air filter box but keep the compartment to reduce taking in heat.

What is recommended? The HX35 inlet is 4" so I would like one with a 4" flange if possible. I thought about getting one from the Cummins series, but I think that may be too large. Thanks!

RE: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - DeliveryValve - 01-08-2011

(01-08-2011, 05:57 PM)jonbobshinigin ...
What is recommended? ...

Keep it. You have a really good air cleaner with 630 CFMs. Making modifications or going aftermarket can possibly reduce your CFMs.

RE: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - ForcedInduction - 01-09-2011

Bingo.

If you still choose to replace it, avoid all "performance" filters. Use only good paper ones.

RE: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - dieselboy - 01-09-2011

I like and use the afe double guard filters. I have one on my diesel bronco that regularly sees fine dust and dirt and my intake and intercooler are spotless on the inside.
Ive had one on my 300sd since I got it, I also have one on my Volvo. B

There are a few nice paper clamp ons out there but good luck finding one that will fit under your hood. The cummins guys use a huge one.

(01-09-2011, 11:53 AM)dieselboy I like and use the afe double guard filters.
Those are not good filters. Anything that is "cleanable" does not filter well.

RE: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - dieselboy - 01-09-2011

Lol. Right to an extent. Ever been to Baja? What do most of the trucks with engines that cost 10x what your car cost run?

How many times do they run the Baja between engine rebuilds? How many of those engines get used more than 2k miles/year? How many of those engines operate reliably for 20+ years without major repairs?

Stupid sarcasm only makes you look even more foolish. dieselboy is starting to look like a very appropriate name for you.

RE: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - dieselboy - 01-10-2011

Lol. Your reputation precedes you. I'm not going to argue.

RE: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - ForcedInduction - 01-10-2011

(01-10-2011, 01:12 AM)dieselboy Your reputation precedes you.
Yes, the reputation that I actually know what I'm talking about.
Quote:I'm not going to argue.
The scurry along little boy, only adults are allowed to debate.

RE: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - yankneck696 - 01-10-2011

<<Stupid sarcasm only makes you look even more foolish. dieselboy is starting to look like a very appropriate name for you.>>
<<The scurry along little boy, only adults are allowed to debate.>>

Why do you feel the need to act like this, FI, JJFF, OM617 or the other screennames you use due to getting banned from other forums? Don't you think you might want to not act that way & get things done productively?
Do you have any scientific data to back up your statement about paper vs. cleanable filters?
As to your knowledge in other areas, you are immensely helpful, but your childish like attitude is not needed.
In a really dusty environment, an oiled filter MAY catch more of the fine particulate that you would see in desert racing.

Again, PLEASE inform us with some form of scientific data so that we can LEARN. I believe that's what this forum is all about.
Ed

(01-10-2011, 08:37 AM)yankneck696 Why do you feel the need to act like this, FI, JJFF, OM617 or the other screennames you use due to getting banned from other forums?
Take it to OD.

Quote:Do you have any scientific data to back up your statement about paper vs. cleanable filters?
Have you EVER attempted to make any comparison between the two? Huh

Quote:In a really dusty environment, an oiled filter MAY catch more of the fine particulate that you would see in desert racing.
Incorrect. Oiled filters by nature have very large pores. Unless the filter is extremely large for the engine (99.99% of the time people use one much too small) then the mass of the dirt simply blows straight through it. Who cares about fine dust when the pores allow large debris into the engine?

K&N took a screen door, hacked it up, covered it with gauze, coated it with oil and put it on the market as a "filter". Others wanted in on the extremely high profit margin so they copied the idea and continue to push it on gullible consumers.

Quote:PLEASE inform us with some form of scientific data so that we can LEARN.
Since you're so unwilling to learn through your own efforts, let me provide you with these links that have been posted on every forum countless times.
http://www.billswebspace.com/AirFilterTest.htm
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Stock paper air filter
$10
Lasts over 1 year with no maintenance needed in that time, can last several years if a restriction gauge is used
Filters very well
Is not a restriction to power
10 year cost= ~$100

K&N filter
$55
Requires a "recharge" oil kit, $15
Requires frequent cleaning
Becomes restricted very quickly
Filters very poorly
Doesn't actually increase performance, just noise
10 year cost= $85 (2 recharge kits)
Total savings over 10 years= $15.

So, what is K&N's advantage again? Nothing. There is no increase in power, a major decrease in filtering quality and a major increase in maintenance. Skip eating out for dinner once and you'll have saved more than you would after 10 years with a K&N.

RE: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - 300D50 - 01-10-2011

Where does the 616's oil bath filter place? I'd think it's better filtration than a K&N, but more hassle than a pleted paper.

I think a good paper filter with a fibre mat pre filter for the "big stuff" would be best bet. Wink

(01-10-2011, 12:52 PM)300D50 Where does the 616's oil bath filter place? I'd think it's better filtration than a K&N, but more hassle than a pleted paper.
Oil bath filters are one of the best. Cellulose filters displaced them for cost and maintenance reduction.

Only problem is they have to be matched closely to your engine's airflow. Otherwise you get poor filtration and/or high oil consumption.

Quote:I think a good paper filter with a fibre mat pre filter for the "big stuff" would be best bet.
Kind of like the foam filter covers sold for vacuums. They're nice, but I wouldn't bother except in really dirty environments.
[Image: SV-01.jpg]

But if you're really worried about air quality, put the filter inside the cabin like professional racers. Smile
[Image: 131_1001_03_z+2008_baja_1000+engine.jpg]
[Image: 0907dp_03_z+dakar_rally_2009+2_5L_diesel_engine.jpg]
[Image: engine560.jpg]

RE: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - yankneck696 - 01-10-2011

Take it to OD.
What would that mean?
I am glad that you posted those tests. Fine by me. That's all I was asking.
As for your snyde comments, I guess that just goes with the attitude that your latin saying states. I really think it's extremely inapropriate for a moderator of a fine forum to use a saying like that. Just plain vulgarity & it shows your disdain for others.

Ed

RE: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - ForcedInduction - 01-11-2011

(01-11-2011, 02:15 AM)dieselboy Dude? Really? You are Effing crazy. Should I translate that for the others? And people say you are a mod? Wow.

Don't like it? Don't read it. Simple as that. Smile

RE: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - Captain America - 01-12-2011

Oh baby It's getting hot in her!

RE: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - jeemu - 01-13-2011

(01-12-2011, 04:42 PM)Captain America Oh baby It's getting hot in her!
Not really. just fine in here -6celcius Smile

RE: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - 300D50 - 01-14-2011

She's 98.6F last I knew...

RE: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - ForcedInduction - 01-14-2011

(01-14-2011, 12:14 AM)300D50 She's 98.6F last I knew.
Not after I was done with her.

RE: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - jonbobshinigin - 01-14-2011

Guys...we have wandered from an Air Filter thread to an Injection Pump thread. Let's stay on topic Big Grin

RE: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - Riverstick - 01-15-2011

Just read those two links posted in Forced's posting. Very informative. Has anyone actually fitted K&N's or other 'performance' air filters and how did they perform compared to the stock air filter?

RE: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - ForcedInduction - 01-15-2011

(01-15-2011, 07:31 AM)Riverstick how did they perform compared to the stock air filter?

They don't. The engine doesn't care about the air filter, its power is limited by fuel. The only thing that really changes is the noise, which most people perceive as an increase in "performance".

RE: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - jeemu - 01-15-2011

If you use HX35. Original filter size maybe is good enough.
But not if using bigger turbo

Clean air Big Grin
[Image: full]

RE: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - 300D50 - 01-15-2011

What the hell? Through into the wheel well!?!???!!

RE: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - ForcedInduction - 01-16-2011

Same place the 1985 California 300D's get it. Thats why there's a hole in the fender of all 85 models.

RE: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - winmutt - 01-16-2011

(01-10-2011, 01:16 PM)ForcedInduction Oil bath filters are one of the best. Cellulose filters displaced them for cost and maintenance reduction.
The oil baths also suck air at certain angles.

I would consider getting a later model diesel fender with the shark gills. If I was getting my car painted this would aready be done.

RE: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - 300D50 - 01-16-2011

Just never saw it done like that, I'd expect a higher amount of "road goo" getting sucked up from that location.

RE: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - ForcedInduction - 01-16-2011

There is a factory well liner that prevents tire sling from getting pulled directly in.

RE: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - 300D50 - 01-16-2011

(01-16-2011, 05:31 PM)ForcedInduction There is a factory well liner that prevents tire sling from getting pulled directly in.

Ah, makes sense now. I was looking at it as if it was my truck fender, and it was making me go Huh .

RE: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - DeliveryValve - 01-16-2011

(01-16-2011, 05:31 PM)ForcedInduction There is a factory well liner that prevents tire sling from getting pulled directly in.

It does however get dirtier faster and you find more debris in the housing then the standard Federal style housing.

RE: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - Silberpfeil - 01-17-2011

Comparisons of pore size anyone??

Does HKS make their 'surgical gauze' filters with a smaller pore size than say K&N?

Curious, not trying to ? or annoy anyone here just wondering....

RE: Recommended Air Filter Upgrade? - ForcedInduction - 01-17-2011

Anything with gauze is just another "screen door" filter no matter how you look at it.