STD
Spam in a can. - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Board Info (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Spam in a can. (/showthread.php?tid=2047)

Spam in a can. - winmutt - 12-08-2010

I have turned on administrator approval for new signups to limit the amount of spam that we have been getting. If the IP looks OK I am sending an email to interact with the user. If it doesnt look OK then I am waiting for the user to complain about their access....

RE: Spam in a can. - Captain America - 12-08-2010

Sounds good

RE: Spam in a can. - ForcedInduction - 12-11-2010

Very bad choice. 99% of people that aren't able to post to a forum right away after joining never return to the site. They are even less likely to return if they have to play chit-chat with somebody before they can post in the open forum.

If you and your buddy can't deal with spam you should get a moderator that can.

RE: Spam in a can. - winmutt - 12-11-2010

(12-11-2010, 09:09 AM)ForcedInduction Very bad choice. 99% of people that aren't able to post spam to a forum right away after joining never return to the site. They are even less likely to return if they have to play chit-chat with somebody before they can post in the open forum.

If you and your buddy can't deal with spam you should get a moderator that can.

I fixed it for you.

It was not an easy decision to make. I also think that every person you describe is not going to be a valuable contributor.

RE: Spam in a can. - ForcedInduction - 12-11-2010

(12-11-2010, 09:22 AM)winmutt I fixed it for you.
No, you atered it to suit your imagination. On Mercedes Forum there are a dozen spam posts per day, what is done about it? I deal with them by removing the spam posts as they occur so the forum remains free and easy for humans to post questions.

Quote:I also think that every person you describe is not going to be a valuable contributor.
Then I think this forum will get very few new members of any kind. Might as well lock it up like Schuman, Henry.

RE: Spam in a can. - 300D50 - 12-11-2010

Most forums i've worked with just have newb posts put in a moderation queue untill X posts, then ban if there's spam.
Admin auth works for smaller sites with low traffic, but does have the (possible) downside of loosing spontaneous new users.

In the end, you never know till you use it.

RE: Spam in a can. - winmutt - 12-13-2010

I will see if there is a module for this. Unfortunately mybb, being free, is not as well supported as vbulletin etc. I have considered swapping over to vbulletin, if there was enough interest I would do a fundraiser for it.

RE: Spam in a can. - 300D50 - 12-13-2010

Phpbb3 has a larger following, if you can deal with the 2 year "it'll be released soon, don't count on the api's being the same though" periods.
VB is good, but it's still mainly community developed afaik.
I'm not sure which I'd rather have.

We used phpbb for a very short time. From a maintenance aspect its a nightmare.

RE: Spam in a can. - muuris - 12-13-2010

How badly is the forum getting spam?

(12-11-2010, 10:35 AM)ForcedInduction No, you atered it to suit your imagination.

I find this funny. You have never done this, have you?

If you can't remember... #78 and #89.

(12-13-2010, 03:40 PM)muuris How badly is the forum getting spam?
Any is bad IMO.

A funny pic :
[Image: constructive.png]

I've re-enabled regular admissions with the addition of some new protections.

RE: Spam in a can. - 300D50 - 12-13-2010

(12-13-2010, 02:29 PM)winmutt We used phpbb for a very short time. From a maintenance aspect its a nightmare.

Amen.

But you have to give it credit, once it's tweaked between upgrades, it's nice. Tongue

The bbs 4x4wire usees, while spartan, is also good.

But this one seems great for now, and there's no $$$ issues.
$$$ donated = expectations.
Been there. Done that. Have a white elephant to prove it.

RE: Spam in a can. - winmutt - 12-14-2010

And lets be honest here. I am lazy. I have many higher priorities over this one. I may end up writing a plugin to auto moderate new users, seems like there isnt one right now.

RE: Spam in a can. - winmutt - 12-29-2010

So even with all the plugins available we were still getting 2-3 spam signups a day vs 1-2 normal ones. I re-enabled admin approval and despite dire predictions everything is going pretty well. I have noticed that there are three areas that seem to be the worst, malaysia/phillipines, india and soft layer. From my experiences at work soft layer is almost certainly bad people doing bad things.

RE: Spam in a can. - 300D50 - 12-29-2010

Crap, The planet and softlayer merged... not good for me...

RE: Spam in a can. - ForcedInduction - 01-18-2011

What the hell is this?

"The girl who usually does not know who accidentally injured his dream full cry"

RE: Spam in a can. - Spaceraver - 01-22-2011

Ask a simple question like "what is eight plus eight (16)" and add captcha/ image challenge. It might even be a random image of everyday things. But it should test the user to find out whether it's a bot or not.

RE: Spam in a can. - winmutt - 01-22-2011

We already have capcha or did you forget Big Grin. There is no plugin for the simple question/answer routines Sad

RE: Spam in a can. - Spaceraver - 01-23-2011

Tehee... Silly me..
But the plugin would cut down a lot on the forum spam if it were available.

RE: Spam in a can. - Syncro_G - 01-23-2011

(01-23-2011, 12:19 PM)Spaceraver Tehee... Silly me..
But the plugin would cut down a lot on the forum spam if it were available.

on the forum I moderate (phpbb as mentioned elsewhere), we tried captcha with various strengths and all did only a little to help. putting in a very simple Q/A nearly stopped it completely. the few spams we get now appear to be from humans - mostly people trying to sell golf clubs. but that's down to about 1 a month at most.

spams didn't go down immediately. lost of bots sign up and stay dormant for up to a month so it takes a while for those to flush out.

-C

RE: Spam in a can. - winmutt - 01-23-2011

.ph and .in accounts for 90% of the spammers we get. They get auto deleted.

I actually like doing admin review signups. It gives me a chance to learn more about the members here.