STD
Top Gear USA open thread - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Other (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Open (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Top Gear USA open thread (/showthread.php?tid=2020)

Top Gear USA open thread - ForcedInduction - 11-29-2010

Two episodes so far. Is it me or does it just feel like a cheap ripoff? Boring hosts with no chemistry, no jokes (maybe a few lame ones), no meaningful discussion or chemistry with the guests, no Stig introduction jokes and they haven't shown half the test track laps they've counted the times for.

I mean, Buzz Fucking Aldrin was the first guest and the interviewer just pulls out a list of Buzz's cars and names them off for 3 minutes? Huh Great way to start the series. Even the Australian version has more talent than this.

Part way through episode 2 Edit: Okay, I will give the one guy kudos for saying "(drifting) is just a bunch of guys in imported cars sliding around like morons".

RE: Top Gear USA open thread - larsalan - 11-29-2010

Yeah, it's lame. So is the Australian one but, the US version is the worst.

RE: Top Gear USA open thread - Duckinator17 - 11-29-2010

It sucks. I dont like it at all. It just seems tacky and cheesy. They seem to be trying to copycat the real one. I watched maybe 15 min and couldnt stand it anymore. No comparison, british guys got it down.

RE: Top Gear USA open thread - willbhere4u - 11-29-2010

Lame duck version They will never replace the British version!

RE: Top Gear USA open thread - Captain America - 11-30-2010

Its a new show... you've got to give it some time. But also they should not be trying to copy the UK version. The US version should be different, there is no point in trying to copy the UK version.

RE: Top Gear USA open thread - diesel_fitter - 11-30-2010

Have they started insulting British people yet? The British one insults Americans in every "real one" I have seen.

RE: Top Gear USA open thread - Captain America - 12-01-2010

(11-30-2010, 06:39 PM)diesel_fitter Have they started insulting British people yet? The British one insults Americans in every "real one" I have seen.

They Should!

RE: Top Gear USA open thread - winmutt - 12-03-2010

I wouldnt even bother. Rarely do we steal from the brits and do it right. List of shows that maybe we did OK with :

Antiques Roadshow
Cosby
Junkyard wars
Sanford and son (this might be the only one we did BETTER)

Thats about it excluding reality shows, I dont think any of those are good.

RE: Top Gear USA open thread - ForcedInduction - 12-04-2010

Junkyard wars was a wash too. It was a decent show, but they didn't get as technical with their builds and challenges as the Brits.

The best US ripoff I've seen was Robot Wars, Mick Foley was a far better presenter than Craig Charles.

RE: Top Gear USA open thread - 98taco3 - 12-10-2010

Once youve seen the british one this one is unwatchable! Ill let them make shows for a year or so and see how it is then but i doubt it will get any better.

RE: Top Gear USA open thread - Leprechaunliam - 12-10-2010

I think this one blows as well...it seems like they're just trying to act their "counterparts" on the british version...pretty lame...

RE: Top Gear USA open thread - 300D50 - 12-11-2010

Junkyard wars was ~ at best. Like you'd really find a 2000 foot roll of aluminized mylar in the trunk of a car in a junkyard, and have it be perfectly cut free...

RE: Top Gear USA open thread - willbhere4u - 12-11-2010

who else thinks Leno should have hosted this?

RE: Top Gear USA open thread - 300D50 - 12-12-2010

Leno is above this type of ripoffery methinks. Smile

RE: Top Gear USA open thread - 300SD_KY - 12-13-2010

this past season, Hamster, Capt'n Slow and Jeezer start laughing & making jokes about the Gulf of Mexico being unswimmable.

If US Top Gear is ever going to aspire to be better than the UK version of the 80s ... which sucked about as much as Gulf of Mexico jokes ... the Yanks are going to need to listen, be funny, take sh#t nicely and dish it out. Wouldn't hurt to have some good looking girls in the audience. The UK ones may be large bosomed on occasion, but to a girl, almost all need a. multiple trip to the dentist b. brown bags over their faces c. combination of the two d. american and/or ukranian 20-somethings.

RE: Top Gear USA open thread - Silberpfeil - 12-22-2010

I think the people here on this site could do a better Top Gear than the Australian or American one.

I'm not going to waste my time listing a plethora of weaknesses but suffice it to say that a major restructuring is needed. And that weak, short interview with Buzz Aldrin can never be excused!

RE: Top Gear USA open thread - fha772 - 02-08-2011

WOW!!!

I thought it was just us Brits, that thought that Top Gear USA, was just trying too hard to be the British version.