STD
My electric alda ionising smoke detector idea... - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: My electric alda ionising smoke detector idea... (/showthread.php?tid=1945)

My electric alda ionising smoke detector idea... - HughF_UK - 11-07-2010

So, I was discussing the way the alda works with my work colleagues (we work in electronics) and the discussion came around to using a pwm controlled actuator on the alda pin, based on boost.

He suggested using the guts from an ionising smoke detector to monitor the amount of black smoke and then control the pwm actuator... I like the idea of this. I'm going to gut a battery powered smoke detector and get busy with the scope to try and model how the ionising chamber output changes with varying smoke levels...

I'll use this thread to track the progress of my work...

Feel free to contribute ideas everyone.

RE: My electric alda ionising smoke detector idea... - ForcedInduction - 11-07-2010

Or...you could use your right foot and the rearview mirror. Wink

RE: My electric alda ionising smoke detector idea... - HughF_UK - 11-07-2010

Yeah, that works well... apart from when my MOT tester goes and does as the emissions computer tells him and does the 'depress accelerator' bit once a year and I get an emissions failure.

In all seriousness, he's 'sensible' and will happily start the test from a higher rpm (even though he's not meant to) so we get some boost in, and will only blip it if needed... I guess that what I need to do is make an alda from some aluminium and nylon stock with a few o-rings (i was looking at some billet aluminium dump valves I have and wondering if they could donate parts) and allow it to have a preload.

As I haven't even got my pump built up yet, not totally sure how smoky the 7.5mm floyd elements will be with my hx35 with super profile 54mm compressor. I guess it's a suck it and see kind of thing.

RE: My electric alda ionising smoke detector idea... - ForcedInduction - 11-07-2010

(11-07-2010, 12:03 PM)HughF_UK once a year
Cut back the throttle. Lengthen the lever stop on the pump and/or shorten the pedal rod.

RE: My electric alda ionising smoke detector idea... - HughF_UK - 11-07-2010

Yeah, that's the norm with our VE pumped cars (not many of them these days, our two diesels in the family are now vp30 pumped with bosch edc)... I'll just make some adjustments come smoke test time.

Do you guys get your tests done on the rollers, so under load? Ours is just a rev it up test with different smoke levels for turbo and N/A

Yes, Denver uses a loaded test at 60mph. All they're looking for here is 20% max opacity, which is pretty bad if its more than that.

RE: My electric alda ionising smoke detector idea... - E300TSC - 11-07-2010

You don't even need the complexity of an ionizing smoke detector. Just a simple light source and photocell will do. Besides, the smoke from the exhaust will destroy the ionization chamber in short order...

To keep the photocell and light chamber clean of soot, bleed some boost into the exhaust via a very small tube to feed clean air to them.

RE: My electric alda ionising smoke detector idea... - willbhere4u - 11-07-2010

I'd have thought an o2 sensor would do the trick it's already meant for exhaust! And determines the air fuel ratio!

RE: My electric alda ionising smoke detector idea... - diesel2fast4u - 11-08-2010

(11-07-2010, 05:12 PM)willbhere4u I'd have thought an o2 sensor would do the trick it's already meant for exhaust! And determines the air fuel ratio!
Lambda?...................

RE: My electric alda ionising smoke detector idea... - willbhere4u - 11-08-2010

same thing!

RE: My electric alda ionising smoke detector idea... - Einar - 11-08-2010

You can use a more modern A/F sensor, O2/Lambda-sensor are not in use on Diesel, and not any more on petrol engines. Navara/Pathfinder diesel has a A/F-sensor on the exhaust.

RE: My electric alda ionising smoke detector idea... - ForcedInduction - 11-08-2010

(11-08-2010, 07:26 PM)Einar O2/Lambda-sensor are not in use on Diesel

Yes they are.

RE: My electric alda ionising smoke detector idea... - diesel2fast4u - 11-09-2010

(11-08-2010, 07:26 PM)Einar You can use a more modern A/F sensor, O2/Lambda-sensor are not in use on Diesel, and not any more on petrol engines. Navara/Pathfinder diesel has a A/F-sensor on the exhaust.

Big Grin Lambda = A/F ratio ....

http://www.mrtrally.com.au/performance/docs/Lambda%20Brochure.pdf

RE: My electric alda ionising smoke detector idea... - JTY - 11-10-2010

Just use wideband lambda, much easier and it's very robust.
Works also with high smoke superturbos Big Grin