STD
anyone running open exhaust? - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: anyone running open exhaust? (/showthread.php?tid=1933)

anyone running open exhaust? - mr_manny - 11-03-2010

I'm getting ready to do my exhaust, and am sooooo tempted to dump it out behind the passenger tire Smile

my om617 is not my DD...

thanks

RE: anyone running open exhaust? - ForcedInduction - 11-04-2010

There is no way to get the exhaust over there without causing ground clearance issues.

RE: anyone running open exhaust? - mr_manny - 11-04-2010

(11-04-2010, 06:17 AM)ForcedInduction There is no way to get the exhaust over there without causing ground clearance issues.

that depends on what vehicle is the beneficiary of the 3.0L turbo :p

Currently I'm in the middle of replacing my Toyota gasser with an om617 - toyota fj40 landcruiser.
I believe some of you may familiar w/Luke's kit (4x4 labs)?

Replacing a motor provides some opportunities, so I'm also going fj60 axles (3" wider) and finally getting power-steering Smile

Going out the back sounds more passenger-friendly then behind the front tire.

I found someone who has a buddy w/a om617 in a jeep w/straight exhaust, going to check it out next friday.

keep you guys posted,
manny

RE: anyone running open exhaust? - garage - 11-04-2010

Straight pipe it! You wont be dissapointed!

RE: anyone running open exhaust? - Actros617 - 11-04-2010

Straight pipe and all you'll hear is droan!!

RE: anyone running open exhaust? - garage - 11-04-2010

Ohhh its worth itCool

RE: anyone running open exhaust? - JB3 - 11-04-2010

(11-04-2010, 07:40 PM)Actros617 Straight pipe and all you'll hear is droan!!

I doubt it would matter in a truck like that, probably tons of road noise anywhere but off road! Big Grin

It might be nice to really hear the engine note while he's crawling around though, its not too loud really, in comparison with other motors volume with a straight pipe

RE: anyone running open exhaust? - 300D50 - 11-04-2010

Heck, go open header and route intake out a snorkle...

RE: anyone running open exhaust? - ForcedInduction - 11-05-2010

(11-04-2010, 10:22 PM)dropnosky I doubt it would matter in a truck like that, probably tons of road noise anywhere but off road! Big Grin

Ditto. I believe the tire noise would drown out any drone of the engine.
Interior drone is all about the tip too. Even a simple turndown tip can greatly reduce the noise.

As for that Jeep, I say you should make a stack in front of the right door.

RE: anyone running open exhaust? - winmutt - 11-05-2010

Stack and snorkel and take pics!

RE: anyone running open exhaust? - Captain America - 11-05-2010

Forced is right about tips...

When I unbolted the exhaust from the down pipe on my 617 turbo the open pipe was facing towards the rear of the car (obviously) and it was crazy annoying. It resonated so bad the exhaust went back on two minutes later.

After that I cut that last section off the downpipe so that the end of the pipe points slightly back right at the ground and I have been driving like that for about three months and love it! I will finish it off coming out the passenger fender someday but for now its great. Sounds super throaty and NEVER resonates one bit.

RE: anyone running open exhaust? - mr_manny - 11-05-2010

thought I would share my inspiration Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-rYFWD_yfs

thanks again for the info Smile

RE: anyone running open exhaust? - nickw - 11-09-2010

My 84 300td is running straight pipe out the right side in front of the rear tire.

The sound is great!!

RE: anyone running open exhaust? - George3soccer - 11-09-2010

How low is your 300

RE: anyone running open exhaust? - nickw - 11-09-2010

(11-09-2010, 12:06 PM)George3soccer How low is your 300

It's sitting stock, I've had no problems with it dragging I drive off road a lot and it's been ok.

Well yea stock height is fine. Try putting that in the rear or even try to behind the front right wheel on a very low w201.

RE: anyone running open exhaust? - willbhere4u - 11-09-2010

AH put it out the RH fender like the 300slr

I sure wish, ill keep it clean and run it to the rear with a 3" turndown.

RE: anyone running open exhaust? - Silberpfeil - 11-10-2010

(11-05-2010, 07:17 PM)Captain America Forced is right about tips...

When I unbolted the exhaust from the down pipe on my 617 turbo the open pipe was facing towards the rear of the car (obviously) and it was crazy annoying. It resonated so bad the exhaust went back on two minutes later.

After that I cut that last section off the downpipe so that the end of the pipe points slightly back right at the ground and I have been driving like that for about three months and love it! I will finish it off coming out the passenger fender someday but for now its great. Sounds super throaty and NEVER resonates one bit.

I totally agree. When my downpipe rotted and I went to a straight pipe I always thought if it was too loud I could put a supertrapp at the end but found it unnecessary.