STD
a motor that won't quit? - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Maintenance (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: General (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: a motor that won't quit? (/showthread.php?tid=1726)

a motor that won't quit? - larsalan - 09-11-2010

Just bought my first diesel and the last owner says, "the motor will only stop if the driver's door is locked"

says it's a vacuum issue. And that seemed true enough.
Then I felt like the idle was rough and I tightened some of the throttle linkages. Now the idle is smoother but, even with the door locked the motor continues to run.

What is the course of action to diagnose and adjust this problem?

I also need some fog lights? Where can I order some cheapo ones online? All the bosch ones are really high $50+ each
And I need 1 fog light ring. Do those come with the lamps?

Here is a video of me revving up my benz. In case you haven't seen enough of those.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEtTUBsqZL8

RE: a motor that won't quit? - ForcedInduction - 09-12-2010

(09-11-2010, 08:09 PM)larsalan Just bought my first diesel and the last owner says, "the motor will only stop if the driver's door is locked"

What is the course of action to diagnose and adjust this problem?
Isolate the door lock system and find the leaking actuator.

Quote:I also need some fog lights? Where can I order some cheapo ones online? All the bosch ones are really high $50+ each
And I need 1 fog light ring. Do those come with the lamps?
The fog lights use replaceable bulbs. Is the glass broken?

RE: a motor that won't quit? - larsalan - 09-12-2010

Thanks forced, I will look into how to work on the vacuum system.

Yes the glass is broken. The car only came with one light and it's glass was broken. the other side is missing the ring and a screw that retains the ring. I saw some of those on ebay so I guess they are separate parts.

Today I have the front wheels off and see that the brakes are new and bearings are newly packed. There seems to be a piece that has sheared off inside both dust caps. It looks like it was something to mix the grease? At any rate I have discarded it.

(09-12-2010, 10:51 AM)larsalan There seems to be a piece that has sheared off inside both dust caps. It looks like it was something to mix the grease? At any rate I have discarded it.

Its the ground contact. It provides a continuous ground path to the wheels to prevent static buildup.

RE: a motor that won't quit? - Captain America - 09-12-2010

(09-12-2010, 11:26 AM)ForcedInduction
(09-12-2010, 10:51 AM)larsalan There seems to be a piece that has sheared off inside both dust caps. It looks like it was something to mix the grease? At any rate I have discarded it.

Its the ground contact. It provides a continuous ground path to the wheels to prevent static buildup.

WTF? Really? I've never seen that before lol

(09-12-2010, 03:44 PM)Captain America WTF? Really? I've never seen that before lol

Yes. Public transit buses use the same idea but in a more crude "rubber strap dragging on the ground" form. The ones missing the strap get some kind of crystal crud buildup between the graffiti guards and windows.

RE: a motor that won't quit? - meareweird - 09-12-2010

Based on your idling engine sounds i would do a diesel purge and/or seafoam to clean some deposits out and then see which injectors are nailing. Also how bad is your blowby and how many miles?

RE: a motor that won't quit? - larsalan - 09-12-2010

I will put the purge on the to do list along with valve adjustment and turbo tuning. before that there are some pressing repairs in order.

A reported fuel leak. Which I saw today, it's on the driver's side. There are three lines running fore to aft. I guess fuel and brake lines. I need to find out where the fuel is coming from and figure out how to stop that too. Mileage is anyones guess ass the odometer is not working says 174000 I think. I think the blowby seemed light but, the engine has never really got up to a higher temp. I read in the benz manual and it says not to just let the motor idle up to high temp. The manual says drive it around.

I might not even be able to look at it at all for a few days.

-thanks for all your input

(09-12-2010, 07:17 PM)ForcedInduction
(09-12-2010, 03:44 PM)Captain America WTF? Really? I've never seen that before lol

Yes. Public transit buses use the same idea but in a more crude "rubber strap dragging on the ground" form. The ones missing the strap get some kind of crystal crud buildup between the graffiti guards and windows.

What does it do for a 123?

RE: a motor that won't quit? - SicNick - 09-12-2010

It's in his first reply! Look again!Wink

(09-12-2010, 11:26 AM)ForcedInduction Its the ground contact. It provides a continuous ground path to the wheels to prevent static buildup.

Yeah I got that but who cares if a little static builds up? Is this used on newer vehicles? I have not seen anything...

RE: a motor that won't quit? - ForcedInduction - 09-13-2010

(09-12-2010, 11:17 PM)Captain America What does it do for a 123?

Reduces static crackle in the radio speakers and may help reduce electrolysis in the cooling system.

RE: a motor that won't quit? - jonbobshinigin - 09-13-2010

No seafoam, at least do not run it through your vacuum system or manifold like on gassers.

RE: a motor that won't quit? - larsalan - 09-13-2010

So where should I start with the vacuum?
I saw these two procedures to replace parts.

http://dieselgiant.com/mercedesmastervacuumswitchinstall.htm

http://dieselgiant.com/repairyourshutoffvalve.htm

There seems to be no problem with an other vacuum stuff, just the shut off.
I attached a bike pump to the vacuum system and heard the air escaping inside the motor.

Does that make sense to anyone?

RE: a motor that won't quit? - Captain America - 09-13-2010

(09-13-2010, 08:19 AM)ForcedInduction
(09-12-2010, 11:17 PM)Captain America What does it do for a 123?

Reduces static crackle in the radio speakers and may help reduce electrolysis in the cooling system.

Oh baby! Big Grin

RE: a motor that won't quit? - ForcedInduction - 09-13-2010

Hey, maybe if we remove the ground contact would would have a built-in HHO generator! Tongue

RE: a motor that won't quit? - Captain America - 09-13-2010

Lmao!

RE: a motor that won't quit? - SicNick - 09-14-2010

(09-12-2010, 11:37 PM)Captain America
(09-12-2010, 11:26 AM)ForcedInduction Its the ground contact. It provides a continuous ground path to the wheels to prevent static buildup.

Yeah I got that but who cares if a little static builds up? Is this used on newer vehicles? I have not seen anything...

Ya even the radio part was in his first post, in the caption of the picture.Wink Guess I should have been more specific.Big Grin

RE: a motor that won't quit? - larsalan - 09-14-2010

Alright enough about the static preventer thing. What should I do about the engine? See post 14.

I can't even find those vacuum parts at the store Which one do I need and where can I get it?

RE: a motor that won't quit? - Captain America - 09-15-2010

I feel a little dumb now lol
Disconnect all the vacuum lines except the brown and see if it shuts off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you put boost to the shutoff? why would you do that? it needs vacuum not pressure
Forced answered your question in post #2