STD
go fast goodies? - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: go fast goodies? (/showthread.php?tid=1706)

go fast goodies? - gilp42 - 09-07-2010

hey im new to the mercedes diesels... down sizing for a little fun from my cummins. i jsut got a 79 300d what are some places i can go to for some upgrades in the fuel system and what sixe flange does the exhasut have? sorry for being a pain in the ass jsut wanna learn!

RE: go fast goodies? - Alastair E - 09-07-2010

Is this a N/A car or a Turbo....?

If N/A, you would have to change the entire engine for a Turbo one before tuning, as the N/A engine isnt suitable for tuning up or adding a turbo to...

There are no 'goodies' specific as such available, Its more down to adjustments and modifications....

RE: go fast goodies? - ForcedInduction - 09-07-2010

There is nothing to upgrade on your engine except swapping with a turbo engine.

RE: go fast goodies? - gilp42 - 09-07-2010

it is a turboed motor

RE: go fast goodies? - Jtn190D - 09-07-2010

There still isn't much.

RE: go fast goodies? - George3soccer - 09-07-2010

Everything pretty much is fabrication, not very tough but there is allot of information available on this forum.

RE: go fast goodies? - SicNick - 09-07-2010

Being a cummins Guy myself, maybe I can give you an analogy. My understanding of these motors so far is that they are similar to the 1st gen cummins IN THE AFTERMARKET SUPPORT category. There isn't a lot of extra horsepower to be bought. But a pretty decent amount to be found with custom modifications, turbo upgrades and tweeks, and of course, turning screws on the IP. There is far more information on the first few pages of this forum than you'd probably expect, especially for your motor ( assuming it is a OM617) As with any diesel, why don't you come up with pyro and boost gauge. Then maybe open up the exhaust post turbo and the intake? This will help to support and improve everything from here on up.Idea

And IIRC the mercedes turbo is a T3 flange, but i'm not positive. And to answer your next question.... NO putting your old cummins turbo on this motor isn't a good idea, It wouldn't ever spool, and if you got it to, you'd pop the head right off. haha. Even the factory turbo motors have fairly high compression, close to 20:1 stock I believe. Where a 6BT is around 17:1

RE: go fast goodies? - gilp42 - 09-07-2010

hahaha yeah you read my mind... hey thanks for the info i guees thats where ill start my research

RE: go fast goodies? - winmutt - 09-08-2010

So your 79 300d is a turbo? What year is the engine?

RE: go fast goodies? - gilp42 - 09-08-2010

It's a 79 300 turbo diesel as far as I know the engine is original.... I could be wrong lol I've been wrong before

RE: go fast goodies? - willbhere4u - 09-08-2010

Is it a 300d or 300sd?

The only reason they are asking is because the 300d didn't get turbocharged until 1982

but the 300sd was turbocharged in 1978

but it is a very popular mod to put a turbo engine in a non turbo car

RE: go fast goodies? - gilp42 - 09-08-2010

sorry it is a sd

RE: go fast goodies? - willbhere4u - 09-08-2010

I would make sure all of your adjustments are in spec valves injectors and timing!

I put the latter k26 turbo from a 1985 300sd on my car and it helps low end torque quite a bit it but was causing some transmission flaring issues on my 1980 I had to mess with the trans adjustments to get it to stop!

RE: go fast goodies? - Biohazard - 09-10-2010

The turbo flange is the standard non-divided T3. Like willbhere4u said, making sure the maint is all up to spec is most important. Also make sure the boost line from the intake manifold to the ALDA is clear. From there, you can mess with adding an intercooler, gauges, exhaust, adjusting the fuel injection pump internals, etc. Watch out for going too big on the turbo, I put on a T3/T4 and it took quite a bit longer to build boost. The stock K26 was much better for around town and highway driving. The stock turbo (Garrett or K26), should be able to hold up to all that the stock injection pump can put out. But, leaving cars stock isn't much fun now, is it? Big Grin