STD
How come nobody appears to be monitoring exhaust backpressure? - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: How come nobody appears to be monitoring exhaust backpressure? (/showthread.php?tid=1608)

How come nobody appears to be monitoring exhaust backpressure? - aaa - 08-10-2010

I'm searching the web for a gauge and nobody seems to care, aside from complaining about stock factory ones on newer diesels failing. Show I just slap a boost gauge on it somehow? They do go up to 100psi.

RE: How come nobody appears to be monitoring exhaust backpressure? - willbhere4u - 08-10-2010

I've seen it done before ask forcedinduction

RE: How come nobody appears to be monitoring exhaust backpressure? - Rudolf_Diesel - 08-11-2010

I am going to be using one on my new project. I found a port from a Jaguar exhaust system that I incorporated into the exhaust manifold and ran an aluminum tube about 16" long to dissipate the heat and then to a poly tube to a VDO boost gauge. I drilled and tapped just above the turbo flange.

RE: How come nobody appears to be monitoring exhaust backpressure? - ForcedInduction - 08-11-2010

Middle is boost, right is EMP. A normal boost gauge is all I use. I went with 2x the boost gauge to make on-the-fly determination of the boost:emp ratio quick and easy.

I have a brass 1/8NPT to 3/16 pipe fitting to the left of the flange area with about 2' total of copper before going to a rubber coupler and 1/8" nylon air hose to the gauge.

I've seen as high as 50psi EMP without problems, but that high backpressure is why I'm getting a GT23v to replace the GT22v.
I can only imagine the pressure on the guy's engine thats running 30psi boost on a wastegate disabled stock T3.

RE: How come nobody appears to be monitoring exhaust backpressure? - Captain America - 08-11-2010

While on this subject.... Is there any need for an EMP gauge with use of a non VNT/VGT turbo, Like the stock T3?

RE: How come nobody appears to be monitoring exhaust backpressure? - jeemu - 08-11-2010

I have put little fuel filter between exhaust pressure hose, so all shit dont go on gauge.

RE: How come nobody appears to be monitoring exhaust backpressure? - Captain America - 08-11-2010

(08-11-2010, 02:52 PM)jeemu I have put little fuel filter between exhaust pressure hose, so all shit dont go on gauge.

Yes! Fantastic Idea, I have done the same for my boost gauge.

RE: How come nobody appears to be monitoring exhaust backpressure? - majesty78 - 08-11-2010

I use a conventional hydraulic gauge (glycerin dampened) for monitoring emp before turbine.

Therefore i have welded an stainless steel tube, about 15" long into the EGR blockoff plate besides the EGT sensor, then coupled with an silicone hose to the gauge.

I have chosen a 6bar type gauge, but never seen more than 2.5 or 2.6 until now with 2.3bar boost in high rpm range (over 4000rpm) so i think you will be ok with an 40 or 50psi gauge as long as you dont have an extremly restrictive turbine....

Regards, Alex

RE: How come nobody appears to be monitoring exhaust backpressure? - ForcedInduction - 08-11-2010

A fluid filled gauge is preferable. Sometimes my gauge buzzes during acceleration, but its not that annoying and the needle doesn't bounce.

Quote:Is there any need for an EMP gauge with use of a non VNT/VGT turbo, Like the stock T3?
For the stock system, not really. MB did those measurements decades ago. If you're going to modify the engine and go beyond the stock 9/13psi it would be useful though. For non-stock turbo it should be used at least the first few weeks to help determine if the turbo is a good match to the engine.

(08-11-2010, 07:06 PM)ForcedInduction A fluid filled gauge is preferable. Sometimes my gauge buzzes during acceleration, but its not that annoying and the needle doesn't bounce.

Quote:Is there any need for an EMP gauge with use of a non VNT/VGT turbo, Like the stock T3?
For the stock system, not really. MB did those measurements decades ago. If you're going to modify the engine and go beyond the stock 9/13psi it would be useful though. For non-stock turbo it should be used at least the first few weeks to help determine if the turbo is a good match to the engine.

Right, they did the R&D with stock boost... I am only running 13-14 psi now which I dont see often with the stock T3, just with a 60 trim compressor wheel. I plan to up the boost as well as play with the IP very soon. I do not have a EGT yet so I have held off on playing with too much. I want to order gauges so I'm wondering if EMP should be one of them... I do not plan on changing the turbo anytime soon.