STD
How can I improve exhaust until I get a full straight pipe? - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: How can I improve exhaust until I get a full straight pipe? (/showthread.php?tid=1567)

How can I improve exhaust until I get a full straight pipe? - jonbobshinigin - 08-02-2010

I am looking to get a bit more flow and a little better tone until I put a 2.5"-3" on it at some point. What can I cut out and weld a pipe in place of? Cat? Resonator? Muffler?

Also, what size is the stock piping? I am not looking to get into a very detailed job, because at some point I am going to upgrade the turbo with a Euro 140 Manifold and completely redo it.

RE: How can I improve exhaust until I get a full straight pipe? - Captain America - 08-02-2010

Yup all that you mentioned. Well there is no cat... and the pipe is 2.5" I believe. You can basically get a couple straight sections and weld them in for a couple bucks. Forced Induction did a writeup here: http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/straight-pipe-exhaust-t-625.html

The resonator and muffler are straight through anyway so there isn't much flow to be had by removing them...

Just don't dump it under the car... I will resonate so bad that you will be changing it back in about five seconds.

RE: How can I improve exhaust until I get a full straight pipe? - ForcedInduction - 08-02-2010

Mufflerectomy.

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/straight-pipe-exhaust-t-625.html

RE: How can I improve exhaust until I get a full straight pipe? - jonbobshinigin - 08-02-2010

Ok...seems simple enough. I have access to welding and such. What would be an ideal setup where I can run a straight pipe for performance, but then swap out a muffler when I need a quieter ride?

My thinking it have a removable tip the length of rear muffler that clamps on. When necessary, I can drop the muffler in place of the straight pipe. Would this work?

Also, since the stock is 2.5", I may as well go ahead and run a 3" which will help once I get a larger turbo and tuned pump.
How complicated would things get if I ran a full 3" straight pipe NOW with stock turbo, and then modified it later when I added different exhaust manifold and turbo? Is there much modifying that would need to be done?

RE: How can I improve exhaust until I get a full straight pipe? - ForcedInduction - 08-02-2010

Quote:What would be an ideal setup where I can run a straight pipe for performance, but then swap out a muffler when I need a quieter ride?
Get a second exhaust system. Its only two bolts and four rubber hangers holding it in.

RE: How can I improve exhaust until I get a full straight pipe? - garage - 08-02-2010

(08-02-2010, 09:47 AM)Captain America Just don't dump it under the car... I will resonate so bad that you will be changing it back in about five seconds.

HAHA! yeah it is really bad...im still sticking it out with headaches and earplugs!

RE: How can I improve exhaust until I get a full straight pipe? - winmutt - 08-02-2010

The muffler is straight through. Just remove the resonator and that will remove 2 ~45* bends. I don't think there is much point to 3" unless you get a myna pump.

RE: How can I improve exhaust until I get a full straight pipe? - jonbobshinigin - 08-02-2010

Eventually I will probably get a DervTuned pump with the Floyd 7.5s...in the meantime, what will change just by removing resonator and putting in a straight pipe in place? How much louder?

RE: How can I improve exhaust until I get a full straight pipe? - Captain America - 08-02-2010

(08-02-2010, 11:08 AM)garage
(08-02-2010, 09:47 AM)Captain America Just don't dump it under the car... I will resonate so bad that you will be changing it back in about five seconds.

HAHA! yeah it is really bad...im still sticking it out with headaches and earplugs!

lol that's funny. I can picture you in your car with ear muffs on!

RE: How can I improve exhaust until I get a full straight pipe? - garage - 08-02-2010

(08-02-2010, 12:07 PM)Captain America
(08-02-2010, 11:08 AM)garage

lol that's funny. I can picture you in your car with ear muffs on!

Ha earmuffs with no AC in july, in socal....THATS FUNNY
(08-02-2010, 11:16 AM)jonbobshinigin Eventually I will probably get a DervTuned pump with the Floyd 7.5s...in the meantime, what will change just by removing resonator and putting in a straight pipe in place? How much louder?

It will be significantly louder.
Like a UPS truck..or garbage truck...ha, thats what people tell me when i pull up to there house.

Even by leaving the rear muffler on and just deleting the resonator?

No, i thought you were talking about a straight pipe.
I belive the muffler would keep it pretty close to stock sounding..although im sure somone who has that setup can chime in.

So I wonder if there is any advantage to me just removing the Resonator and leaving Muffler. This is on my 1987 300TDT w/om603 BTW.

(08-02-2010, 02:48 PM)jonbobshinigin So I wonder if there is any advantage to me just removing the Resonator and leaving Muffler. This is on my 1987 300TDT w/om603 BTW.

Oh wow, well ive never heard an om603 in person, so disregard my posts