STD
injection noise/nailing - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: injection noise/nailing (/showthread.php?tid=1339)

injection noise/nailing - willbhere4u - 05-03-2010

So my 240d turbo is nailing badly at idle when hot!

It has been getting worse to night I replace some collapsed leaking fuel supply line and filters and it stopped nailing almost completely!

So I thought I would crack each injector to listen for any noise! If I crack cylinders 1,2,4 the car will slow down and Nail really badly! If i crack # 3 it slows down but no noise nailing

If the engine drops even slightly below idle it starts nailing really badly on #3

I'm going to swap injectors this weakened and see if the problem follows the injector or if it stay my guess is a weak injection pump.

As rebuilding the injectors and doing a valve adjustment hasn't changed it

RE: injection noise/nailing - dude99 - 05-03-2010

Have you checked the the IP timing?

RE: injection noise/nailing - willbhere4u - 05-03-2010

Not yet I was thinking of setting it at 26* like the turbo cars are! But its only that one cylinder that nails!

RE: injection noise/nailing - Alastair E - 05-04-2010

Quite possibly the Injectors are as old as the car....

Like 30 Years old!

Prolly could well do with replacing the nozzles and re-setting up....

No point on earth in just cleaning Old Injectors.....

RE: injection noise/nailing - willbhere4u - 05-04-2010

They are rebuilt as previously stated? They maybe have 2500k on them since I rebuilt them! and it nailed before then as well

This weak end I'm going to swap the known nailing cylinder's injector to figure out if its the Injection pump of the injector!

If the nailing changes cylinders its the injector! if it stays it's not the injector!

RE: injection noise/nailing - tomnik - 05-05-2010

check the ball in the pre chamber while the injector is out.

Tom

RE: injection noise/nailing - willbhere4u - 05-05-2010

What should I look for? Dose it come out?

RE: injection noise/nailing - tomnik - 05-05-2010

look into the pre chamber with a torch and check if the ball inside is still there. Sometimes it happened that the ball is blown/melted/broken away and this will cause also nailing on one single cylinder.

Tom

(05-05-2010, 11:48 AM)willbhere4u What should I look for? Dose it come out?

RE: injection noise/nailing - willbhere4u - 05-05-2010

Thanks I will do that! Since I'm in the U.S. I'll use a flash light to be safe side LOL Tongue

RE: injection noise/nailing - Einar - 05-07-2010

Also check the pressure-pipe(?) between the pump & injector, if it`s damaged it may disturb the injection. I don`t know if it may cause nailing, but I would check it.

RE: injection noise/nailing - willbhere4u - 05-07-2010

That's a good idea I'll check it out closely when it's off