STD
Juttering at WOT in 5th gear - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Drivetrain (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Juttering at WOT in 5th gear (/showthread.php?tid=1256)

Juttering at WOT in 5th gear - Deni - 04-04-2010

Hi,

I need help with diagnosing lots of juttering coming from the rear at WOT in 5th? The car feels like a rear tire exploded and starts vibrating in the back when I got WOT in 5th.

Is it the clutch or dual mass flywheel?

Also, the juttering happens only when LPG is on, so when more torque is applied.

Any ideas?

RE: Juttering at WOT in 5th gear - willbhere4u - 04-04-2010

check you drive shaft / support bearing?

RE: Juttering at WOT in 5th gear - ForcedInduction - 04-04-2010

With LPG, I'd bet its detonation.

RE: Juttering at WOT in 5th gear - Deni - 04-05-2010

I'll check the drive shaft next time I'm at the mechanic.

FI, wouldn't detonation happen in other gears as well?

RE: Juttering at WOT in 5th gear - ForcedInduction - 04-05-2010

(04-05-2010, 08:54 AM)Deni FI, wouldn't detonation happen in other gears as well?

The load in 5th gear is much higher/hotter since the engine can't accelerate as quickly and runs at lower rpms.

RE: Juttering at WOT in 5th gear - Deni - 04-05-2010

(04-05-2010, 09:15 AM)ForcedInduction
(04-05-2010, 08:54 AM)Deni FI, wouldn't detonation happen in other gears as well?

The load in 5th gear is much higher/hotter since the engine can't accelerate as quickly and runs at lower rpms.

The vibration happens even when:

While traveling at around 58 mph at around 2000 rpm, about 4 psi boost, press the pedal at maximum. At around 5psi lpg turns on. Boost increases to about 16psi and stays there (engine is turning about 2100-2150 rpm) and the vibration begins. All this happens in about 2-4 seconds. If I ease the throttle just a bit the vibration goes away.

To me it looks like it's related to torque rather than detonation ( I know you're against LPG Big Grin)

RE: Juttering at WOT in 5th gear - Deni - 04-06-2010

I checked the flex disc and it's fine.

RE: Juttering at WOT in 5th gear - willbhere4u - 04-06-2010

it may just be the torque being applied through the flex disc causing it to deform under the extreme load

RE: Juttering at WOT in 5th gear - Deni - 04-07-2010

(04-06-2010, 06:51 PM)willbhere4u it may just be the torque being applied through the flex disc causing it to deform under the extreme load

Any idea how I can solve this?

RE: Juttering at WOT in 5th gear - willbhere4u - 04-07-2010

The only way I can think of is a custom drive shaft that eliminates the flex discs and center support? You would want to make sure that is the problem first! maybe put a camera under there and take a video

RE: Juttering at WOT in 5th gear - Deni - 04-10-2010

The shaking seems to be coming from the rear.

I'll post this once in the finnish forums. I guess they've seen lots of torque before Smile.

RE: Juttering at WOT in 5th gear - Kozuka - 04-11-2010

When was the last time you did your rear sub-frame bushings? This could be a sign of worn subframe, diff, 5-link, sway bar bushings. Check them all. Dry-rotted/Cracked = Replace