STD
Late Model MB wheel cross-over - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Suspension (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Late Model MB wheel cross-over (/showthread.php?tid=106)

Late Model MB wheel cross-over - Telecommbrkr - 05-30-2008

I'm sure this has been covered in depth in the other forums, but I thought I'd ask it here anyways.

I want to put later model MB factory rims on my W126 300SD and am curious about the whole offset issue and how it works. I believe that the W126 is 23, and I have seen the majority of MB rims at 36 offset. I know what people say about those spacers that you can install, but mechanically I can't see the harm in them - solid steel part, bolted directly to your hub with studs in them, and the spacer itself is the similar thickness to the hub...

Re: Late Model MB wheel cross-over - ForcedInduction - 05-30-2008

Spacers are fine. I use Late W126 (86+) wheels on my W123 without issues.

Re: Late Model MB wheel cross-over - winmutt - 05-30-2008

The problem with spacers is that they generally lead to a little wobble. You need to have the tires balanced on the car every time you take the wheels off. Not using spacers means a narrower than stock stance which is pretty dangerous in sweeping curves at highway speeds.

I recommend using aftermarket wheels made for your car unless you got a smoking deal on somehting newer. The cheapie spacers are like 20-40$ and you will need longer bolts. The cheapest you will get those for is $50-100. Don't forget to factor this in when buying the wheels. If you want I have two sets of longer bolts.

Re: Late Model MB wheel cross-over - Telecommbrkr - 06-01-2008

So how does backspacing work? What is the math behind it? I would assume that the et# on the back of the rim is the mm's of the back spacing? If my car is a 23 and I've got rims that are a 36 lets say, would a 13mm spacer be needed? Is it that simple? :?:

Re: Late Model MB wheel cross-over - MTUPower - 06-01-2008

I think you'd need half of the 13- as the other half will be on the outside. I don't know for sure. If someone has ET 50 rims on with spacers then they may be able to tell you. It's really a rim by rim question. Height and width also come into play to clear the fender, calipers and suspension.

Re: Late Model MB wheel cross-over - winmutt - 06-01-2008

ET0 is dead center of the wheel. ET+ is measured from the center to the outside of the car. You have to take into account the width of the wheel as well.

Re: Late Model MB wheel cross-over - TheDon - 07-22-2008

I'm running a set of early C280 wheels on my car with 5mm spacers up front, 5 mm spacers in the rear would probably help as well(not for function but for looks)

I will say the handling is slightly better than the 14's but I want it to handle like on rails.

I've got a line on a set of funnel spokes and tires that I will install. 17" wheels and of course proper lugs. No spacers needed since the diameter of the wheel allows it to clear the tie rod ends.

17" wheels are the largest size you can run before running into rubbing issues as well as ride quality. I drove my friends CE when he had 18" CLS wheels and it cornered like nothing else but the ride sucked.

Re: Late Model MB wheel cross-over - winmutt - 07-23-2008

No need for spacers with larger wheels?

There is no need because of clearance, however your geometry is going to be offset.

Re: Late Model MB wheel cross-over - TheDon - 07-27-2008

winmutt No need for spacers with larger wheels?

There is no need because of clearance, however your geometry is going to be offset.
it depends on the ET and diameter of the wheel.. I know with 17" funnel spokes spacers are not needed because added diameter nullifies the issue with the tie rod and wheel making contact issue.

my 15" wheels would contact the tie rod if not for the spacer

Re: Late Model MB wheel cross-over - GREASY_BEAST - 07-31-2008

anyone know what it would take to put 16" 2004 E320 rims on a W123? Can it be done? Would it be worth it? Its getting time for me to get new tires, and I would like to upgrade the handling while I'm at it... Any advice appreciated. Thanks guys.

EDIT: What about 16" 500SL rims?? No idea what year though.... They look 80's...

EDIT: Or 1985 380SL rims?... Might be 16"?

Re: Late Model MB wheel cross-over - GileadGarage - 09-23-2008

Everyone here probably knows this, but 2000CLK 16x7's fit perfectly and they're a great looking wheel. I have not installed mine yet, but I have seen plenty of pics of 123's with them. I bought a perfect set on ebay for $400.

Re: Late Model MB wheel cross-over - oel_brenner - 10-18-2008

to put 2006 SL500 wheels on my 1984 380SL
I had to make some wheel spacers

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.coastalboatsales.com/jfraley/gallery/SL300D?page=7">http://www.coastalboatsales.com/jfraley ... 00D?page=7</a><!-- m -->

there is a CAD drawing I created and some photos of the finished product

RE: Late Model MB wheel cross-over - Telecommbrkr - 06-09-2009

Was looking for big brake kits and found that brembo offers some very nice spacers for our cars in varying thickness'

RE: Late Model MB wheel cross-over - shredator - 06-13-2009

(05-30-2008, 09:26 AM)winmutt The problem with spacers is that they generally lead to a little wobble. You need to have the tires balanced on the car every time you take the wheels off.
does keeping the spacer in the same relative position to the wheel solve this problem? maybe just epoxying the spacer to the wheel would avoid having to rebalance?

RE: Late Model MB wheel cross-over - winmutt - 06-13-2009

This only needed if you have crappy spacers. Big Grin I use cheap 3mm shims with no wobble. I have some 1cm and those were wobble city.

RE: Late Model MB wheel cross-over - JB3 - 06-13-2009

(06-13-2009, 12:26 AM)shredator
(05-30-2008, 09:26 AM)winmutt The problem with spacers is that they generally lead to a little wobble. You need to have the tires balanced on the car every time you take the wheels off.
does keeping the spacer in the same relative position to the wheel solve this problem? maybe just epoxying the spacer to the wheel would avoid having to rebalance?

I initially had this problem with a set of 5/16th thickness. Also on another related note, managing to run the wheel bolt in through a free spacer I found to be a real PITA if I was taking the tires off all the time for other reasons.

I took the wheel off and glued the spacer to the back of the rim with some ultra grey silcone, then rebalanced the tire with the spacer attached. After that, the wobble went away, and it was a lot easier to put the tires on.